LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen does not power on at POST

Legoguy

Alright, i'm really worried now. Just days ago, I had a hard lockup, and when I restarted, the screen did not come on. At all. I rebooted a couple more times and it finally came on. Everything seemed to work as normal -- until the next reboot, when the same thing happened again. More reboots required to get it to come on. And again, again, and now it won't come on, after about 30 or so tries.

Here's where it gets funky. The S-Video works. Connects to a TV fine. Supposing that a CRT would work too with a VGA connector. I boot it into Windows and check the display properties -- the only display it detects is the TV.

Now the weird part is that when I use the screen-switch hotkey during post, the backlight at least comes on, but nothing shows up and it hard locks the computer.

I can log in and everything, just without a screen.

Please, any suggestions, experiences, the warranty is still good -- should I send it away after backing my stuff up?

(notebook model is under my name in this post)

[edit] after seeing another thread on the same topic, I'm rolling back to the last official MCE drivers, 77.79. Let's hope these work.

If not check the flex cable going to your monitor, could be bad or not plugged in all the way.

If not check the flex cable going to your monitor, could be bad or not plugged in all the way.

I checked it, it's plugged in all the way, and the display works fully (there's no difference in what angle I turn it on at)

[edit] I should also mention that it seems to be doing better now .. I've still had it happen one more time, but I only had to restart it once to get it back... Going to try bumping up driver versions...

Edited by Legoguy

I give up. Sending it in for repair. 50 reboots, no screen. Has to be hardware or BIOS, it's still under warranty so I'm not about to fool around under the hood.

Really quite pissed right now, as I have no clue what might have caused this. I'll let HP's tech guys tell me. At least I can boot it up to linux and back stuff up over the 'net...

Edited by Legoguy

Breakthrough in this problem. While backing it up .. I was looking around at zd7000forums.com, and found some things about opening and closing the screen a few times -- so what I did to get it back on was open and close it a couple times (while on) and then press fn-f4 to switch output/detect displays, and BAM.

Sigh of relief. Hopefully that won't keep happening. Have yet to reboot.

[edit]

There are a whole lot of threads about this problem here:

http://zd7000forums.com/viewforum.php?f=2

The one that most closely matches my problem is the "white screen and then no screen" description.

So it may still require servicing -- though it still works after one reboot. Still backing up, just in case.

Edited by Legoguy