LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Computer Freezing Problem

eskimo

HI guys. First off, I want to say I love this site! I'ts helped in so many ways. Now for my issue. The problem is that my computer will just randomly freeze up. it doesn;t matter what I am I doing. I could be surfing the web or just be at my desktop and it will freeze. The busy icon display lights up and stays that way and I can hear my laptop working away. I can't move my mouse or anything, control+alt+delete does nothing, and i have to hold down the power button for 5 secs to get it to shutoff. The reason I am posting this here is because it has never happened before except after installing a new driver from here. I believe it was after 67.02 was installed that it started. I wanted to try this driver for HL2. I tried reverting to the OEM driver provided at www.hp.com, but i still have the problem. ANy help please? And my computer isn't overheating really either. its at about 43-45s usually. sometimes 50s. I have and AMD 64 3200+ nVidia GeForce4 440 go 64 mb. The model is Compaq Presario R3000. ANd although this is not realted to this topic this has been bugging me. Although the model says R3000 at the plastic on the bottom of my screen, in the BIOS and aywhere else I look it says its an R3200. ANy help for that either? Thanks in advance And sorry its so long lol.

I suspect it's not truly freezing, but is just very busy doing some unknown task. The next time it happens, try leaving it alone for five minutes or so and see if it eventualy clears itself up. If so, we can start tracking down the whatever it is that's hogging the system.

If that' NOT the case, go back and try one of your earlier drivers - one that you know worked before. If that clears it up, it will give us a place to start.

I suspect it's not truly freezing, but is just very busy doing some unknown task. The next time it happens, try leaving it alone for five minutes or so and see if it eventualy clears itself up. If so, we can start tracking down the whatever it is that's hogging the system.

If that' NOT the case, go back and try one of your earlier drivers - one that you know worked before. If that clears it up, it will give us a place to start.

Hi LSudlow,

When ever it freezzes, i usually leave it for a minute or so to see if it was only temporary, but it just stays frozen. I will try leaving it alone for longer next time, but i dont think its some random task that comes on because half the time i am only at my desktop. Also, as isaid before, i reinstalled my manufacturer video driver(the one i had been using since i got my comp) but the result is still the same.

You may need to uninstall the video driver in Windows' Add/Remove Programs to purge the problem settings. Look for the Nvidia Driver entry and delete it, then reinstall your previous driver after you reboot. Let us know if that helps.

Actually, now that you mention it that may be the problem. Sorry this took so long to reply but my internet has been down since Friday so I am typing this from school. (###### u verizon!!!) The reason i think this is because when i tried installing new drivers using the "have disk" method, I would see multiple video cards available to install on. This leads me to believe that there are still bits and pieces left over from before. one of them is an omega driver, i dont no if that helps or not. I will try "add/remove" again. Is there a program that can completely remove all video driver stuff for me and do a complete job? Somehow I doubt that "add/remove" gets the job done properly

The reason you see multiple drivers when you use the "Have Disk" method is because each driver leaves a copy of its inf in the Windows\Infs folder. You can look in there and open all the OEM inf (oem1, oem2, etc.) files, and delete any of them that are for nvidia drivers. Each OEM inf will also have a PNF file with the same name. Delete that one too.

Well I uninstalled all my nVidia drivers, rebooted into safemode, used driver cleaner pro to delete any more nVidia files, booted back up, deleted the proper OEM inf/pnf, reinstalled the proper drivers (OEM nvidia driver) and the nforce 3 chipset driver, and was just coming to say everything seemed ok so far until it froze when I was replying lol. sigh. Is it possible that Cool n' Quiet could be doing this? I had problems w/ it b4 (i.e. always running at half speed, but i fixed it by upping my multipliers using crystalcpuid then restaring which somehow fixed it letting it switch when needed without having to run crystalcpuid but that 1 time.) Oh, and 1 other thing. This time when i shut down my comp after it freezing, when i booted it back up, all my icons were scattered everywhere like they do when you install a new graphics driver or something?

The icon scattering indicates a resolution change during the boot process. Are you running at the default resolution for your monitor?

Try running without Cool n Quiet and Crystalcpuid and see if that changes anything. (You can lock your CPU at full speed by using the Desktop or Always On power scheme in the Windows Control Panel.)

i am running it at 1280x800, which is what i always run it on. As for crystalcpuid, i no longer run that. like i said, i tried it once, but i no longer run the application. I have my laptop on Always On power scheme, but it makes no difference as the CnQ keeps it at aprox 797 mhz out of a possible 2000 until needed. I have been trying to get rid of CnQ for sometime now but cant figure out how. The option is not in my BIOS either btw.

That sounds like the problem. Do they have a support site? Or can you google it and find a message board somewhere that can help you get rid of it?

I have scoured google many a time for a solution to the cool n' quiet problem. All i have come up with is to turn power oiptions to "always on" which i always have it on, or to disable it in the BIOS, which is not an ioption that shows up for me. Is it possible to roll back the driver in device manager?

Yes, that's a possibililty, but it sounds like you may need to use System Restore to roll back to a restore point previous to your problem. You'll find it undet Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools.

Yes I have tried system restore already and it did jack crap lol. I figured that would fix it, but 20 mins later it froze

If that didn't work, you might be having a hardware failure of some kind.

Well that would suck lol. Well I rolled back my driver to the previous version (5.1.2600.0) which definetely got rid of Cool n' Quiet so i will see what will happen. The only thing tho, is now that its running at 100% all the time, the voltage is at 1.6 and im pretty sure the max is 1.5, and the fact that my temps are much higher (55c while typing this aka idiling) and my fans arent on right now either which they should b till its gets below 50c right? Oh, and 1 other thing. This may have screwed it all up. On the previous video driver 67.02, there was an over clock option in the nVidia menu. I tried it just to see what it would do, but then i installed another driver. would the overclock have stayed or been reset with the new driver? I would check myself real quick, but my current driver doesn't have that option

It would have been reset. You might want to go back to the Control Panel and change the Power Scheme back to Laptop/Portable to let it run a little cooler. It will still bump up to full speed when it needs to.