LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Pentium M's days are numbered.

mobilenvidia

icd_rgb_68.gifIntel are phasing out the name Pentium M and replacing it with Intel Core Duo for Dual core Processor and Intel Core Solo for Single Core Processor.

The technology looks good, the naming is a little lame.

For Intel Core Duo (Pentium M Dual Core) look here

For Intel Core Solo (Pentium M Single Core) look here

Here is a wee snippet from the very mouth watering Intel Core Duo:

Overview

The Intel® Core? Duo processor is the next-generation processor in the latest Intel® Centrino® mobile technology-based notebooks and delivers revolutionary dual-core mobile performance and great power efficiency.

Outstanding dual-core performance

With its two execution cores, the Intel® Core? Duo processor is optimized for multi-threaded applications and multitasking. You can simultaneously run multiple demanding applications - such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching programs - while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background.

I wonder if these CPU's will fit into the same socket as the current Pentium M (Centrino) Motherboards.

Or there is a new Motherboard required to have one of these.

Would be nice for the masses to be able to grab a new CPU and a BIOS upgrade and be done with it.

But marketing will probably have us buy new Laptops to be able to use these.

As always sample systems are welcome :)

Sounds kewl, I also liked the new logo.

Same package size, different pinout :) So 915 systems are not upgradeable, you will need a brand new lappie.

Duo seems the way to go, there's only one single core product and it's only about $50 cheaper than the dual core equivalent, so i think the move to dual core should be quite massive, much more % uptake than with desktop systems.

Now... dual core 2+ Ghz with one of these mysterious go7600GT's... mmmmm *drools*

Ooo, nice! I also like their new logo. Which company will release the first laptop with this tech....?

bye

Ooo, nice! I also like their new logo. Which company will release the first laptop with this tech....?

bye

Perhaps surprisingly or not surprisingly, Dell. The Inspiron E1705 has the "Intel Core Duo" and GeForce Go 7800 (Not GTX).

Toshiba has announced a new Qosmio with Core Duo and the go 7800 as well. . not due to March though, and no pricing.

I imagine there will be a massive influx of very similar multimedia machines in the very near future.

I read that Siemens, Asus and Sony will come with some new laptops!

article: http://www.hardware.info/nieuws.php?id=5720

(it's in dutch, don't know if there is any english)

the original is in german: http://www.golem.de/0601/42581.html

EDIT: that sony really interests me! looks nice to me!