LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba M60, GeForce Go 6600: Problems launching certain games

Guest Guest

Okay, I'm admittedly at wits end here. I recently purchased a Toshiba M60 and began installing various games on it that I enjoy spending time on. Then I started to notice some strange events. Certain programs just won't launch...the splash screen comes up, and then when it drops, I get an error message saying that the program caused an error and had to be shut down. I'm looking for any advice on what to do next and how to resolve this....I'm missing out on valuable gaming time!!! :)

The known culprits for crashing so far :

EA Sports (Every one of them, but I'm mostly concerned with getting NHL 06 going)

Empires: Dawn of the Modern World

C&C Generals and C&C Generals:Zero Hour

Civilization 4 (also ne that Im quite dissapointed won't run)

Rome: Total War

I'm mostly a Desktop user, and this is my first experience with owning a laptop, I was hoping the transition would be a little smoother! :) Any advice would be helpfull and greatly appreciated. But I fear the worst, am I in need of an indeendant graphics card? Thanks in advance!

What drivers are your running? Just the pre-installed ones from Toshiba?

It may be worth an update, if I remember correctly the last Tosh release was a series 60 and most of these games are going to need something more recent.

What drivers are your running? Just the pre-installed ones from Toshiba?

It may be worth an update, if I remember correctly the last Tosh release was a series 60 and most of these games are going to need something more recent.

After searching through the forums here, I installed the 81.12 drivers and still no luck getting any of the same problem games to launch. They all do the same thing, merely state that the *.exe cause a fault and had to be shut down.

After searching through the forums here, I installed the 81.12 drivers and still no luck getting any of the same problem games to launch. They all do the same thing, merely state that the *.exe cause a fault and had to be shut down.

Hey there, I just bought my M60 yesterday....EXACT samething! I can't run anything on this thing.

I mean god, you would think I just found it in a pyriamid. My understanding is that the 6600 Go was only released just over a year ago. There had GOT to be a problem with the driver somewhere....I have uninstalled original drivers and reloaded from Toshiba site and god forbid I actually think of looking on the NVidia site for a driver for thier PRODUCT. NO WHERE do they mention a driver for it! How s***ty is that. I just spent 2000 for a computer that was advertised as a gaming/entertainment PC and its like I am sitting in a Sports car with no wheels.

Can anyone help?????????????!

I don't think the GPU is at fault, I've got exactly the same in my S3 and have no troubles at all.

Try the drivers in my sig, they have been the best cross of stability and performance, and are the latest nvidia release.

Hey man thanks for the advice, but neither of those updates worked.

As soon as I try to install them a message comes accross saying that

"The NVIDA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware."

I am returning this piece of s*** on Monday, it is useless to me if I can't play games on it. I am SOOOOO frustrated!

I have called Toshiba 3x and no one there seems to have a clue why its not working, and that is basically thier answer....we don't know, but thanks for buying our 2000 dollar product.

You will have a better chance talking to the pope than getting tech support from NVIDIA, they won't even let you submit a tech question without a special account that is just supposed to magically fall from the sky. They direct me to a page of all the computer manufacturers that carry NVIDIA parts, they are all there of course except TOSHIBA...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I am going to FREAK

Edit: I meant to say 2000 dollar product

Matt, the second guest in this thread doesn't have a clue how to install the drivers, your sig needs to be better. :)

Anyway to the second guest, go here and click on the "what is an INF file" and "how to install..." links and then download the 81.98 driver and Pieter's mod INF file for that driver.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8422

All you do is download the driver exe to your desktop or something, unzip it to a folder, then download Pieter's INF for that driver into the same folder.

It should replace the INF file in the driver.

Next go to your control panel or in your start menu and right click my computer and hit properties, go to hardware and then device manager and then display adapters and then find your card and hit update driver then tell it which driver to install and point it to the INF.

In the install topic there are pictures and I even made a video of installing the driver.

Next up is finding out why those games won't run.

To the first guest, do any of those games have a configeration file that you can edit?

Try setting it to your default desktop res and 60Hz refresh rate, you can also go into the refresh rate override section (nvidia driver control panel) and set them all to 60Hz to be on the safe side.

Is there any game at all that actually runs? (do any run in a software mode only if they have that?)

While it probably isn't a bad DX install go to start>run>dxdiag then see if any fishy problems show up in the file section, and try running the dx tests in the display page.

(Buy hey, if the drivers are causing games and DX to fail, then you'll see failure messages in the DX tests)

uhhhh Bill? I thank you for you help, but yes, I do have a clue what I am doing. I did EXACTLY as you have said, before you told me how.

yes I know where the Device Manager is and yes I unistalled the drivers first.

This one is a mystery to me. It IS most certainly a driver isssue.

I will run older games NO problem, I can run Call of Duty (first one) and other older games but it seems like anything new, Civ4 NHL 06, NFL 06 will not play period.

Thanks for your help though I appreciate it.

That sounds kindy fishy, start by re-installing DX9.0c.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Older games probably only use 8.0, so 9 could be corrupted. (not your fault)

Rene came back so you might be getting extra help now, he needs to get his post count back up above Pieters. :)

I have installed Direct X 9.0c, god, I have trouble shooted this to death. I have done everything under the sun....how is the first guy doing with his I wonder

Still about the same really. A lot of games do work just fine, including F.E.A.R, so I've kind of been lost in FPS heaven the last few days :) But the same games are still causing me troubles. On an odd note, Battle for Middle Earth, which uses almost the exact same engine as C&C Generals, works perfectly...while C&C generals won't start at all...go figure.

I've tried a whole bunch of different drivers, tried reinstalling the problem games has well as DX 9.0c, and still with the same results. As far as I can tell, all the programs in question require hardware t&l support, and someone on the CivFanatics forums (I was asking specifically about Civ4 and anyone who'd had problems with it), someone said the 6600 Go doesn't support that....any truth to that?

That is probably the biggest lie I have heard this month, pretty sure every nvidia card from GeForce 2 and up supports Hardware transform and lighting, even the FX 5200 supports it! :)

Also think older cards support it too.

To the guy who can't get it to work, does the FEAR demo work?

http://www.vugames.com/downloadfile.do?mediaid=15208

Sounds like the games that don't work just have bad programming...

Well after a week of trouble-shooting and almost pulling my hair out in frustration, I came to the realization that I should just return it!

Why spend 2000 dollars and hours of frustration, not to mention listening to Toshiba tech support tell me over and over that the M60 may not meet the games minimum requirments. I called them over a week ago asking for help with their product and I have yet to receive a call back or an email for that matter. Call me cynical but, I just think they don't give a s***.

I have decided to go with the Dell XPS M170. Any insight? Is it too over-rated or over priced?

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...170_RBP_CHM170E

I would definitely recommend it, my brother has had no problems running games on his, and I don't think any Dells contain strange parts or stuff that prevent drivers from working, pretty much every game I have tried on mine works too. (except newer DX9 ONLY games, cause mine is old)

Looking at prices I would definitely recommend you take that free upgrade to the 100 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, those PWN.

You should also go with XP Pro and get the 7800 GTX go card.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Church

See I think its these crappy Geforce Go cards mixed with bad game programmers. I have a Geforce Go 6600 and can play F.E.A.R and HL2 no problem but I cant play BF2????? Whats with that??? I have even tried most of the modded drivers and inf files. Its got to be a conspiracy to see how much they can screen with ours mind!!! On top of that I can only get a refresh rate of 58 and 59 hertz!!! Ive got an MSI-1035 Comp with 17inch screen!

See I think its these crappy Geforce Go cards mixed with bad game programmers. I have a Geforce Go 6600 and can play F.E.A.R and HL2 no problem but I cant play BF2????? Whats with that??? I have even tried most of the modded drivers and inf files. Its got to be a conspiracy to see how much they can screen with ours mind!!! On top of that I can only get a refresh rate of 58 and 59 hertz!!! Ive got an MSI-1035 Comp with 17inch screen!

You may need to find out if you can force the refresh rate!!!! Ask the manufacturer if the lcd in fact supports a higher refresh rate. In the event that it does you may be able to force it up 1mhz (i.e to 60hz). A lot of E.A games start at a refresh rate of 60hz to open. BF2 for example is set to native resolution of 800x600 60hz. If your screen is 58,59 it simply wont start. By downloading one of the forceware drivers that supports your card (mine is the geforce go 6600 128mb) extract downloaded driver folder to desktop, also download modded .inf, remove old drivers. reboot.

Before selecting specific location of the driver for your hardware make sure you have cut and pasted the modded ".INF" into the new driver folder you extracted on the desktop. Select this as the folder for the add hardware wizard to search in. I disabled all spyware sweepers and antivirus during the install........

Once installed open the nvidia properties tab (right click desktop, nividia display)

scroll to "Screen Resolution & Refresh rates". Uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot support" if it isnt already and click "add" in the custom resolutions section of the tab. My monitor supports many resolutions but I only want a few to display in 60hz, so I only add these resolutions and select 60 hertz in the drop down box. Once filled in click add and O.K. I also selected only show custom modes as these are the only modes I use. I think the default properties are used if you dont check this box!!! meaning you revert back to 58,59 hz again and when you open the games they will fail again and it will seem as this hasnt worked.

Good luck!!!! BEWARE!!! this may damage your lcd screen.....Do some research on your hardware or call tech support for your notebook if under warranty and see if this okay to do!!!! I dont recommend going above 60hz in the drop down box of custom resolutions. Dont balme me it is isnt supported or damages your hardware.

I have testes this on my notebook (out of warranty) and it works a charm. I dont know the long term effects this could have......User BEWARE.

Edited by sed8ed

• 3 weeks later...

Im in the same boat C & C generals wont start and get same error message, Blitzkrieg 1 wont work either but Blitzkrieg 2 will. Tried patches,forums for both games to no avail. Tried different drivers ( & corresponding inf's from here) but still no go.

I noticed with C & C Generals when installing that my Samsung M50 Pentium M cpu 2.0ghz doesnt meet the game requirements, ie brings up a graph with ticks and crosses etc. Noticed this with Silent Hunter 3 but runs game no problems.

On a side note was at shop sale the other day and picked up a game (cant remember title) but on the back of box it stated "not compatible with onboard graphics/sound cards or laptops", i understand the onboard graphics card fair enough but wasnt sure about the sound card (as i assume most laptops have onboard sound), and couldnt understand the "or laptops" can anyone enlighten me, as im no computer guru and this is my first laptop as well.Thx.

Edited by Barrakooda

I noticed with C & C Generals when installing that my Samsung M50 Pentium M cpu 2.0ghz doesnt meet the game requirements, ie brings up a graph with ticks and crosses etc. Noticed this with Silent Hunter 3 but runs game no problems.

Stop smoking the carpet my good friend:

From EA official page:

REQUIREMENTS:

* Windows 98/98SE/Me/2000/XP (Windows NT/95 NOT supported)

* 800 MHz Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon processor

* 128 MB RAM

* 8x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive

* 1.8 GB free hard drive space

* 32 MB video card using the Nvidia GeForce2, ATI Radeon 7500 AGP video card, or more recent chipset with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver

* DirectX 8.1 compatible 16-bit sound card

* Keyboard; Mouse

Unless you chainsawed the keyboard off your laptop... your laptop matches both minimum and recommended requirements.

A side note... you can almost match the power of a desktop with a laptop. In fact my current laptop used to beat the crap out of my desktop until recently when I did a 3000€/$ upgrade on the desktop.

So the remark you read on a game box was meant to pre-2004 laptops... now you can get a desktop replacement laptop which doesn't cost an arm and a kidney.

Edited by Fabrice Roux

Cheers Fabrice, i do realise my laptop meets requirements i always checks required specs before buying, but what i was referring to was some games come with a Info tool and will tell you wether your machine meets all minimum specs (usually on start up menu under game), this brings up sort os a graph with green ticks and red crosses.

After loading C & C Generals and having problems getting it to run i checked this info tool out and it came back saying my CPU did not meet specs (ie red cross), it also said i had a 20 or so mhz (NOT ghz) cpu, cant remember what it called the CPU either but it wasnt a Pentium M. Not sure why this is. Anyhow had to return game for refund.

The mooded inf's dont mean squat. They are modded so that the drivers can run on a laptop. When you go to install the driver without the .inf modded you wont be able to install the driver. If your monitor doesnt natively support 60hz refresh rate some games will not start. You will have to setup custom refresh rates for different resoultions MANUALLY. You dont have to run the custom refresh rates all the time and you can also create a profile just for a game and add it, so when you run the executable the refresh rate is overidden and the game starts

There are of course other issues when starting games but if you go into the nividia control panel and click on the resolutions tab you will see the drop down box and your current refresh rate. Click on the drop down if your refresh rate is only 58,59hz you need to override it........then test the game. I am not sure if refresh rates really matter on lcd's but it definitely means something to the software checking the screen setings or the in game code that checks the compatibility.

• 4 months later...

I don't know about your Toshiba but I had just bought the XPS M170 and have been having the same trouble with my C&C Generals. I found out through another discussion board that if you remove the options.ini file from the C&C Generals/Zero Hour Data file in the My Documents folder it will then run.

• 9 months later...
Guest Geforce go 6600 user

"

Hey man thanks for the advice, but neither of those updates worked.

As soon as I try to install them a message comes accross saying that

"The NVIDA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware."

"

I am having the Geforce Go 6600 (256) in my laptop, and yes..there are things i dont understand how to cope with.

I appreciate the efforts in order to solve the problems, but that one of you refering to these downloads:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8422

...does it make sense?? As far as i ve seen, Geforce GO 6600 is not mentioned as recommended for this Forceware updated driver (but the Geforce 6600 is).

By the way i am also getting the same error messages trying to install (through the setup file) other versions than the one caming with my laptop "The NVIDA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware." ..which means that i ve have to use a driver from another version when i install the driver from device manager.

Anyway my problem with my Geforce Go 6600 seems to be about the same whatever driver i am using. Though i can not know for sure that the source may be other than my Video-adapter. The problem is actually about driving-simulation games that go to slow, i ve seen the same thing in games like Grand Prix 4, Toca Race Driver 3, Test Drive unlimited. The game may run smooth and well for a while, but sooner or later the video starts going slow, but the game continue.

I ve read that refresh rate shouldnt be of much important in a laptop, but anyway i ve tried everything from 60-100 hz. Now it seems like the frame rate runs very slow while the problem occure on these games, so that may be the reason.

I ve been looking at the Nivida home site and done the things they recommended (setting the priority of the running game to high in windows task manager, turning off the shadowing and even turning off the "high res movie" option).

Anyone having a slight idea what could cause the problem or tip how to force the frame rate to go faster. I deny thinking that this video card is a bad one, it has 256 of dedicated memory, and should be good enough to handle normal gaming.

I appreciate your help-thanks.