LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How can I get better results with my tv-out?

Guest mscdex

Guest mscdex

Ok, here's the deal. I hooked up my GeForce4 card to my 35" RCA non-hdtv. I first tried composite, and the quality wasn't all the great. So I looked around on the net and people were saying that s-video gave much much better quality (one person even said the picture is twice as clearer/sharper). Since my video card has s-video out and vga only on the back, and I was using the s-video -> RCA adapter, I thought I'd try s-video from the video card to the s-video in on my tv. I still got the same results as before.

What am I doing wrong? I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed. And I tried messing around with TVTool, but that didn't help.

Can someone please help me?

P.S. I'm running windows 2000 SP4 on the computer (Could this also be why I'm not getting good quality? vs. XP?)

Welcome to non HD TV.

You are limited to 800x600 output to a TV and on a 35" screen the pixels are going to the size of lego blocks.

S-video will only give a slightly sharper picture as it has seperate lines for each colour (RGB) and sync.

Don't look at static pictures on a TV as it will always look crappy.

Try a DVD and don't sit too close, you want to be at least 3m away with a TV that big.

You want sharper you want HDTV.

Sorry to be so blunt,

Pieter.

what make/model laptop do you have? what kind of geforce 4 do you have?

I've noticed on my laptop you can't really notice a difference with S-video (although I always use it on my TV at home). I have however noticed a difference on my Gamecube when I used S-video over composite. To really see a difference you have to look really closely.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hirokazu

i connect my laptop up to my 52" TV via RCA, yeah it does look like s***, that's why i only use it to watch some videos and stuff. its perfectly fine when you're watching videos, you don't notice it being overly blurry or flickery.

don't think you're doing anything wrong, its just the way it is.