LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dualview Mode Video Overlay

Xerloq

It would be nice if the Dualview and Clone modes also allowed for dual video overlays. For example, both monitors would display the video overlay in a PowerPoint presentation, setting the Primary monitor to Presenter View and the Secondary monitor to display the presentation, without one monitor displaying one video full screen.

In other words, clone mode would be a clone, with video overlay available on both monitors.

Is this possible? Thanks.

Xerloq

How would you exit out of the program if you couldn't see it on one of the monitors.

You woould have to press buttons till it quits. But I guess since its power point it will quite automatically. But if you run a movie player full screen you would have to hit ctrl+alt+delete or something.

Edit: I just remembered that some programs have a shortcut key to close them so I guess it could be feasible but you would probably have to hack the drivers not the inf to do it.

Maybe he hit alt-f4 which is the keyboard shortcut to close a program, same as clicking the X.

I'm not completely familiar with PowerPoint but is that possible at all?

It is not possible to get 2 overlays on NVIDIA drivers anymore. I believe you can only get overlay on the primary display.

:) ESC

in other words hit the escape key on your keyboard or alt-tab

dontknow,

I can understand the Esc working but alt-tab is just between tasks... :)

Terpahy,

Thanks for the assistance.

It is possible: I've made it work on a few other laptops. I can currently do it with a D600 that unfortuantely runs an ATI Radeon 7500, and a Compaq 1800 XL3 that ran an ATI Rage Pro 128. I've been able to do it with one of the earlier Detonator drivers on my Toshiba 5205 with a GeForrce 460 Go, but I can't recreate the configuration. I'd hope that nVidia would be superior to ATI in it's driver options, but it looks like ATI disabled the feature with their 9200 series.

I didn't think it was possible anymore, but I know that it was possible. I was just wondering if there were some way to enable it. Seems like there should be if the primary display can showan overlay in a window, and the secondary display show it in fullscreen.

Everyone else,

Thanks so much for yor responses. Nice to know that people care, cos Dell and nVidia certainly won't help me.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I know that you can have the overlay displayed on one display (ex. 1A) and enable fullscreen output on another display (ex. 1B). I want both displays, 1A and 1B to show the overlay, and neither be full screen.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any ideas, or if I'm still not clear please ask!

Xerloq

No problem, Xerloq. That's why we're around :)

To rephrase in my own terms.

You want two overlays -- one on the primary, one on the secondary output. The two overlays are not clones -- since cloning will do only that clone the output. One is a "Presenter View" as you call it and the other the actual presentation.

Should I assume the second view is a projector? Newer projectors can act as a second monitor and not a TV, am I right in that statement? thus I can attempt this with another monitor...

--

hmm I see the movie in the presentation is a bit tricky.

Welp... I can shut off one of the two videos but I can't disable it from going full screen. Under the control panel is a "Full Screen Video" selection. Which tells you where to place the full screen or disable it. Once disabled it doesn't play on the secondary monitor. Go figure.

That's the best so far... off to do some testing.

Teraphy,

Exactally! I found the "fullscreen" option in the control panel, but I can't disable it from going full either.

I've uploaded an image of what I'm trying to accomplish.

The top portion of the image is what I currently have. The bottom is what I want. Presenter view is an option in PPT demonstrated on the left side of the image. (Slide Show/Setup Show/Multiple Montiors/Check "Show Presenter View.")

You're awesome. I hope you're more successfull than I was.

Xerloq

post-4-1084836060_thumb.jpg

I think I found an answer. But before I do anything I'd like some registry info from you please.

I need info under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{GUID}

Expand them until you find a 0000\VolatileSettings

The info in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{GUID}\0000 branch is what I need...

Also which driver version/inf are you using? Just so I can do some extra comparisons :)

You had to go and throw in that twist:

Slide Show/Setup Show/Multiple Montiors/Check "Show Presenter View."

I got the video not to appear fullscreen in clone mode. But the presenter view requires dualview.

Sorry about the twist.

Um - there are 7 branches under the "Video\" branch. Each has a "0000\" branch. I assume these are from my other driver installation attempts. Which do you want?

I'm using Detonator v. 56.72XQ by Starstorm, INF v. 20.35

P.S. Sorry 'bout using quick reply instead of edit. Also, I looked at the trees: All the others were really short. This one is the odd one out. Let me know if you need anything else.

Xerloq

Tree_1.reg

Edited by Xerloq

Close, it's the one with the subtree of 0000\VolatileSettings\

Alternatively you can find the GUID or right key at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\VIDEO

"Device\Video0"

Thanks,

You don't have a lot of values, which is good. Narrows down some comparisons.

But the 61.12 Dell INF has the following settings for overlay modes (which I recommend):

HKR,, OverlayMode2, %REG_BINARY%, 52,00,10,00

HKR,, OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00

For starters, at least change the OverlayMode3 to flat zeros.

You may want to try OverlayMode2. It's hard to do testing on these values not knowing what to look for. Each setting requires a reboot as well.

Either you can change it in the registry, reboot or change the INF (by adding the two lines above) and reinstalling. It'll get you closer at this point -- no fullscreen on the second monitor. With these values I can get two videos to play (clone mode) but it doesn't want to play in PowerPoint. My 2Go may just be slow and stubborn :)

Teraphy,

Thanks so much. I'll try them out right now and let you know what happens. I'll also look for the Dell drivers.

Thanks again.

Xerloq

======

UPDATE

======

Setting the OverlayMode3 to all 0's disables the external monitor. I checked the registry after rebooting, and the key read OverlayMode3 00,00,00,00. But when I enabled clone mode through the nView control panel, the key was rewritten to OverlayMode3 01,05,00,00. :)

Good news is I had 2 M60's that used to crash with the OEM driver when PPT played a video, but no longer do.

^_^

I'm trying the OverlayMode2 to see what it does. I was surprised that a google search on the OverlayMode# turned up nothing much, except some posts in this forum. I'm also trying to get hold of some of the older Detonators to see what their .INFs say.

Let me know if you firgure any thing else out. You have been extremely helpful. I really appreciate it. I'll also let you know what I find out.

Xerloq

older Detonators to see what their .INFs say.

You could use the drivers section in this forum to only download the original OEM INFs and have a look at them :)

I had issues with OverlayMode2 resetting. I ended up thinking that the setting found in 0001/OverlayModeX was the default value and if it wasn't the same it reset. I didn't check if it reset upon setting clone mode.

You may want to try the INF install.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

Sorry about not replying for the last week. We're having a local networking company upgrade our facilities to 100bTX (Finally :) ) and in the process, they decided to relocate our six videoconference ISDN, but ended up simply cutting them instead.

I tried the INF install, but that seems to apply the settings for the first time the overlay mode is used. It changes when I switch monitor modes. I;ve looked trhough the old INFs and couldnt find anything. I don't think I know enough to look for. I'm going to work on it some more.

I believe that this may be an unfixable prolem, but I really appreciate the help everyone has given. Thanks all!

Xerloq

• 1 month later...

So just a quick update:

The most current nVidia driver (56.72) allows the overlay to be shown on both screens in clone mode, and in the .PPT presenter mode, though I'm not sure why.

Xerloq