LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New driver from TOSHIBA Japan for all nvidia cards

Guest risorgimento

Guest risorgimento

Guess what! It looks like one week ago TOSHIBA Japan updates its driver (v46.34) for the GeforceFX go 5200, but in fact by reading the inf file I could verify that this driver version works for every Nvidia card in TOSHIBA's laptops.

The list is:

NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Toshiba)"

NVIDIA_NV11.DEV_0112.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Toshiba) "

NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0174.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go (Toshiba)"

NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0175.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba)"

NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0177.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 460 Go (Toshiba)"

NVIDIA_NV31.DEV_0316.1 = "NVIDIA NV31M"

NVIDIA_NV31.DEV_0317.1 = "NVIDIA NV31M Pro"

NVIDIA_NV31.DEV_031A.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 "

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0328.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0328.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0328.3 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M"

So just the GeforeFXgo 5700 is missing in this list, ANYWAY THE MOST IMPORTANT is that this driver doesn't have any familiar problem with toshiba's laptops like the black bar problem it works perfect and in my Geforce4 460 go I got a nice score of 5800 in 3dmark 2001.

Hers is the link (there you'll have to download two files: m200dsp1.exe and m200dsp2.exe).

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/assistpc/download/modify/m200/

Also I have to say that this driver is not whql certified so you have to install it like any other inf mod driver from Pieter (laptopvideo2go). BUT don't worry because in the Toshiba web page is written that it was made like that from Toshiba japan.

Maybe later Toshiba will update it with a whql certified version.

Try it and compare the performance wiht other drivers that suppose to quit the black bar problem I think this driver is the best.

Guest risorgimento

I have to say that this driver v46.34 from TOSHIBA japan has nothing to deal with both 46.34 versions that you can find in the driver section of this forum.

First of all the inf file is different, this is not a windows update and it comes from japan.

Second I think this driver is so good just because it was made by real toshiba engenneers, and it works almost for every nvidia driver that a Toshiba laptop could have.

Thanks for the info from Japan.

I downloaded the driver from JP had a look at all files and did filecompare. The driver is identical except the INF and modes.txt. We also had that with other driver releases (see v45.91) from different OEMs or WindowsUpdate.

Again this confirms the UDA from NV (Unified Driver Architecture). The only difference is always the INF, which is customized by all OEMs (here Toshiba). In this case they added support only in the INF for ALL GPUs available in TS Laptops, which is nice. Thanks JP. The driver itself (all the other files, dll, sys and exe) is unmodified.

Nevertheless i will update the drivers section and make the INF available for all. When people request it and Pieter has time , there will be modified INF with all the tweaks inside for this 46.34 release from JP.

Guest slash14

That's a good news !

I'm gonna try them very soon I think

But can we compare those drivers with the latest official 61.11 (or 61.12) ?

Do you think that Toshiba juste use an other way to number their drivers or are they 2 generations late (5x.xx and 6x.xx) ?

Edited by dontknow

The driver is identical except the INF and modes.txt

46.34 has always been a black bar driver. If the files in the driver are bit for bit identical to the ones in the driver one can download from Pieter's page, and the Toshiba 46.34 driver has no black bar problem, then Toshiba 's inf or modes.txt contains a solution to the black bar problem.

begin{edit}Actually, so long since I tried 46.34, I cannot guarantee I had used the crucial SoftEDIDs setting. I'll have to check end{edit}

Edited by ministeve

Ministeve, report back if 46.34 with Toshiba INF fixes the problem.

This will bring us closer to a solution if it does.

Pieter.

begin{edit}Actually, so long since I tried 46.34, I cannot guarantee I had used the crucial SoftEDIDs setting.  I'll have to check end{edit}

I have to rectify: I downloaded 46.34 from Pieter's site and tested the plain driver (not JP or WU) with an old inf 20.22, and it is sensitive to SoftEDIDs = 0/1 like any 4x.xx. (With SoftEDIDs=0 no black bar.) So Toshiba's version cannot add anything new.

I am terribly sorry, I did so many tests while in the process of learning the basics of nvidia infs that it is sometimes difficult to remember when I started testing certain settings systematically.

it is sometimes difficult to remember when I started testing certain settings systematically.

I felt the same, when i compared/tested/modified the INFs back in 2003.

It must be terrible for Pieter to remember most of the settings and how they behave on different Laptops.

I updated the driver archive 46.34 yesterday and put it back on the server. So as i stated in the drivers section, it now includes 3 driver version:

1.) "the plain driver" (folder 46.34), which is the original TOSHiBA release

2.) "the TOSHiBA JAPAN" (folder 46.34JP), which is the same driver but with another INF and modes.txt for to support more GPUs

3.) "the WindowsUpdate" (folder 46.34WU), which i forgot what was different (see drivers section v46.34 topic)

All three in one archive. 8MB :) , which is of course only possible since 95% of the files are SAME (identically). Just checked the unpacked size: 107.852.180 bytes (~108MB)

Edited by dontknow

This driver works fine on my system with no black bar. I get 700 less points on 3D Mark 2001SE than with driver 44.68 (the fastest on my system), however.