LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Unlocking 6800 go pipelines possible?

Guest Easymod

Guest Easymod

I was just wondering whether or not it is possible to unlock the pipelines for the 6800 go. I have been reading up on how people have been unlocking the pipelines for the non mobile chips. Has anybody tried this?

i have the same problem
I cannot see a problem, just a wish :)

Pls. report back if you find the solution for your project.

RivaTuner reports that there are no masked pixel/vertex shader units on my NV41 6800. So it comes down to this:

1) mobile NV41 (and possibly NV42) chips do not have unlockable units

2) locked pixel and vertex units are hardware masked which means unlocking them will require flashing a GeForce with a BIOS from a mobile 16-pipe GF6800 chip (which does not exist at the moment)

Unlocking a mobile chip is not possible atm but I would like someone to prove me wrong... :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest

Dang...

I just installed Rivatuner v2.0 rc16 in wishing to unlock my i9300's 6800 Go but no luck :)

I guess it is locked forever...

Time to get a new lappy then :|

You have to understand why manufacturer disable pipelines... in order to save production capability one core is produced. The cores that are fully operational with low power consumption end up as Top notch like GTX, the ones that have a higher power consumption end up in the GT tray... the ones that have one or more pipelines that are messed up end up in the entry level tray.

What happens is that the market demand is higher in the entry level... to match the demand the manufacturer sells fully functional pipeline GPUs as entry level products. THEN AND ONLY THEN YOU CAN USE THOSE EXTRA PIPELINES.

In the case of the 6800 Go... both the 6800 and 6800 Ultra have 12 pipelines... which means it's a dead end. In fact the 6800 Ultra is just a 6800 with proper cooling. Hence the humongous overclocking capabilities of the 6800.

If you want more information about GPU caracteristics: Desktop GPUs and Mobile GPUs.

• 4 weeks later...

They don't have any pipelines to unlock. They are 12 pipe chips with 5 vertex shaders, and perhaps 8 ROPs instead of 16. They do this to reduce power usage, and heat output. Ever look at the size of the coolers on the desktop cards? :)

NV41M is 130nm. NV42 is 110nm. The desktop GeForce 6800 GS uses NV42 too.

Edited by swaaye