LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS M170

Guest Julien

Guest Julien

i got a dell xps laptop m170 fully decked , and i am wondering is there a way to have a kind of video in on it? i want to play xbox 360 on it, like an adapter to buy or anything? please help thanks

You have a few options, USB2.0 capture device, PCMCIA capture device (plugs into cardslot), or a firewire device.

I have this and it works nicely for watching xbox on your screen, should be especially good on the high quality setting since your CPU is faster too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815100112

This right here is one of their newer products though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815100142

It is compact and has cable input as well.

You might not like the recording/editing software that comes with it but for the price these are pretty good.

I have used the first one to watch GC and xbox in the car and it looks really nice on my 15 inch screen, my brother has the IXPS Gen2 M170 so I will probably test that on his while at/going to the beach.

Looking at available USB2 devices, I would get that second box shaped one I mentioned, I can help you work out any driver or software issues you might have. (Kworld's software does have good fullscreen preview though)

Most of the other USB2 (and all firewire) boxes are either large, expensive, or much cheaper than these 2.

Now for PCMCIA devices, newegg only has a few, you would have to search around for them elsewhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....rice=&maxPrice=

Anyway I use my camcorder now for firewire for capturing and it is much nicer, and even though it was $600 it is also a fully functional pimp miniDV camcorder.

Anyway to sum this post up, the second product I mentioned is what I would recomend that you get unless you plan on paying more.

If it doesn't work you can easily return it to newegg for a refund.

Considering you can afford the expensive gaming laptop, for serious capturing/recording you might want to get a nice firewire box for using at home, they start around $150. (or just use a digital camcorder with video input)

Sooner or later affordable and portable component/SDI capture devices will be available so you can watch your 360 in high def on your laptop, but they are hard to get and expensive right now.

Also, your laptop does not have a line input as far as I am aware, so the second is what you need assuming it takes the audio in through the USB port.

Otherwise you should run it into your sounds line in, not through the device.

Oh, and if you get the second one please post how well it works.

• 5 weeks later...
i got a dell xps laptop m170 fully decked , and i am wondering is there a way to have a kind of video in on it? i want to play xbox 360 on it, like an adapter to buy or anything? please help thanks

lol you have an xps m170 decked and want to play xbox 360 on it lol that's hilarious....

that's like towing a ferrari with a pinto

Different people, different needs :)

Also of note, a 17inch portable battery powered UltraSharp WUXGA LCD does make a nice screen for just about anything, including HD content.

Need to find an easy way to run 360 and PS3 on it at 1080i/p through a PCMCIA cardslot or something...