LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Refresh rate flickering

Guest alne

Hello everyone!

Well I posted here about a week or so back, about not being able to get above 85 hz, and I've solved that problem by downloaded the drivers available here and installing them. I'm not sure why but I did not have a problem at first. I then turned off my laptop a few nights ago and turned it back on today, and I have noticed that in-game running at 100hz, i can see like a scan line that runs vertically down my screen every so often, it's pretty noticeable (like a ghostly white bar that ripples down my screen), and it seems to be more pronounced if i jerk my mouse around a lot and cause the image to change, and i also notice like tearing when i move around really fast...

is there a fix to this? everything was working smoothly until i turned off and turned on my laptop.

thank you!

p.s. i am running on a dell xps m170 laptop w/ nvidia geforce go 7800 gtx, 1024/768 resolution at 100hz, on a samsung 997mb monitor (capable of handling 100hz+ at 1024/768 res.)

• 2 weeks later...

Does it do this at say, 95 Hz if you can do that?

You might need to mess with some monitor settings to fix that one.

Either way you probably should have vsynce turned on, and you might want to change some of the settings in the application profile page.

Also what drivers are you running?

Guest Guest

i have tested it out a bit, i turned on vsync and this has helped dramatically, but i still do see the flickering bar, and i have also changed the refresh to lower and higher than 100 (90-115) and still do see it

i have tested it out a bit, i turned on vsync and this has helped dramatically, but i still do see the flickering bar, and i have also changed the refresh to lower and higher than 100 (90-115) and still do see it

Since you are using a laptop screen you should set your refresh rate at 60Hz. The remanence of the screen will prevent interference with the light bulbs.

What you are experiencing is call tearing. The tearing appears when you turn VSync off or when you have reached the physical limits of refreshing of your screen.

Unless he is misinforming me he is using a CRT monitor, which as I would definitely believe probably is capable of over 100Hz, atleast on certain resolutions. (reason why not on say 2048x1536 is probably a bandwidth/circuit board issue, not the electron gun or anything, but who cares about that)

Anyway get your facts straight Fabrice, he is not using his laptop screen here. :)

To the original poster, can you run just the CRT as primary with the LCD turned off?

You might have to tweak the INF to do that.

My bad... the information about the CRT was at the very bottom of the post inside the post scriptum.

why arnt you using the laptop screen then? the laptop screen is gorgeous!

can the laptop screen handle the higher refresh rates?

why arnt you using the laptop screen then? the laptop screen is gorgeous!

can the laptop screen handle the higher refresh rates?

An LCD screen is not meant to handle higher refresh rates as screen flicker is a property native to CRTs, not LCDs.

Guest Guest

thanks everyone, i decided to hop down to a lower resolution 800x600 and running it at 120hz.. with vsync on, its absolutely perfect for cs 1.6, no tearing, no flickering at all...

btw, i'm using 84.21 for my 7800gtx (dell xpsm170) is this recommended? or should i upgrade to a newer version? all of these drivers are safe correct? assuming i don't mess with any of the overclocking settings etc?

I wouldn't mess with the OC stuff.

You might want to try the Dell 84.29 and 84.30, both are in the 80s series forum section.

Could try with both Pieter's mod INF and the Dell INF in the driver and test to see which has better monitor out support on your card.

The laptop screen might handle 75 Hz if you haxxors it, but I wouldn't try it, probably would just break something if you did try it.

Edit: There is also 84.25 if you haven't tried that one.

thanks everyone, i decided to hop down to a lower resolution 800x600 and running it at 120hz.. with vsync on, its absolutely perfect for cs 1.6, no tearing, no flickering at all...

I dont't agree with you... what matters the most (when you already at a steady 60 frames per second) is having a lot of pixels.

I played bot CS1.6 and CSS on my laptop screen in 1920x1200... believe me having a lot of pixels doest the trick. At point blank/close range there is no difference but when it's time to hunt a player hidden behind a barrel far from you. Having a huge resolution might do the trick.

Unless your screen is really crappy... which I doubt. Switch back to your LCD screen in native resolution your graphic card can handle it. Lock the FPS to 60 and grab your M4A1 and aim for the head.