LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking Go5700

Guest Gear

First of all, I don't seem to be that well with computers anymore then a couple of years ago. Maybe I worked to much :) . Second of all, that's why I had tremendous problems with getting a good working up-to-date driver for my Go5700 64mb card. After a version update of my favourite game, the systems performance of my Acer Aspire 1511 was really bad, also due to bugs in the new vu. But also my gfx card just did not perform well. I deleted the driver I had at that point (only a few upgrades since the original v56.70 that came with the laptop). After that I couldn't find a decend driver anymore and finally installed the original v56.70 from Acer's website.

And you can imagine... The system never ran that crappy before... And that with Athlon 3000+ and 1.25gig RAM, it just had to be the gfx card. And ok, 64mb isn't that great, but it should run much, much better then it did.

So after quite some searching I came across www.laptopvideo2go.com and thank you guys for supplying me with the very nice running v84.12 driver!! Shame on a big company like nvidia that they just stopped improving the driver for my card (which in the past they advertised as almost revolutionary...)

I can run, I can aim, I can go into crowded areas, I can have all gfx enhancements ingame again and I can fly fly fly :) .

Anyway, sorry for the long intro, I just feel delighted.

Now I want to improve my laptops performance even more and thinking of overclocking the videocard. I heard of overclocking in the past, but never tried myself yet. Not CPUs nor videocards.

So these are the questions. Is it wise to overclock this 2 year old gfx card? Is it wise, specially since my laptop already has problems with overheating after like 2-5 hours intensive game-play? It just tends to gimme a black screen and auto-shutdown then.

And even more important. What would be the benefits of this overclocking? Would I really notice performance improvement, or are we talking about tiny hard to notice improvement?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DopeSmugglah
First of all, I don't seem to be that well with computers anymore then a couple of years ago. Maybe I worked to much :) . Second of all, that's why I had tremendous problems with getting a good working up-to-date driver for my Go5700 64mb card. After a version update of my favourite game, the systems performance of my Acer Aspire 1511 was really bad, also due to bugs in the new vu. But also my gfx card just did not perform well. I deleted the driver I had at that point (only a few upgrades since the original v56.70 that came with the laptop). After that I couldn't find a decend driver anymore and finally installed the original v56.70 from Acer's website.

And you can imagine... The system never ran that crappy before... And that with Athlon 3000+ and 1.25gig RAM, it just had to be the gfx card. And ok, 64mb isn't that great, but it should run much, much better then it did.

So after quite some searching I came across www.laptopvideo2go.com and thank you guys for supplying me with the very nice running v84.12 driver!! Shame on a big company like nvidia that they just stopped improving the driver for my card (which in the past they advertised as almost revolutionary...)

I can run, I can aim, I can go into crowded areas, I can have all gfx enhancements ingame again and I can fly fly fly :) .

Anyway, sorry for the long intro, I just feel delighted.

Now I want to improve my laptops performance even more and thinking of overclocking the videocard. I heard of overclocking in the past, but never tried myself yet. Not CPUs nor videocards.

So these are the questions. Is it wise to overclock this 2 year old gfx card? Is it wise, specially since my laptop already has problems with overheating after like 2-5 hours intensive game-play? It just tends to gimme a black screen and auto-shutdown then.

And even more important. What would be the benefits of this overclocking? Would I really notice performance improvement, or are we talking about tiny hard to notice improvement?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

My GeForce Go 5700 (64 MB like yours - Aspire 1513) has had some serious overheating problems lately (at least that is what i think it is). I mainly play UT2004. Sometimes when a lot is happpening or just at the start up of a new level when playing online, the machine auto-shuts down after freezing my controls (except for the mouse). All experimentation to find a stable driver has so far failed. Just thought I would let you know of a similar experience (i.e. you are not alone)