LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best Toshiba 5105-S501 driver

Guest Jack

Guest Jack

I've been reading the posts about the ills bestowed on our cursed 5105's, black bars, standby wake-up blank screens, ravaging locusts, etc) and I just want to know which driver is the best in terms of NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. Sorry to sound lazy, but I'm on a what seems like a 300 baud modem and I have only a few days before I go back to my no internet apt in another country. That's why I can't try different combos as easily. And also I'm lazy.

Let's see, the last time I formatted the lappie I used 44.68 or 45.91 (can't remember which) and had no black bars but the annoying standby issue. So, I just want a semi-modern driver that works (I'm on the native XP SP1 driver after a fresh install). Doesn't have to be the cream-of-the-crop 60.xx platinum turbocharged would-you-like-fries-with-that version, but something other than the native 7/12/2001 drivers pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!

Thanks

- Standby is fixed now (use the latest INF). MAPOSD3... was responsible on some laptop models for that issue.

- BlackBar: can somebody jump in and explain?

Guest freonchill

i just noticed this - so i dont know how long it has been going on

maybe since i updated to the A08/A09 bios; though downgrading that could be hard - i dont think the dell bios's like it

but when i close my screen it used to turn off (to my knowledge)

but recently - i close the screen and the lcd stayed on

i thought the driver might have fuxked something up (was using d800 g4200 latest driver - 4487)

so i got 56.72 and modded inf and now when i hit the button (to test what would happen when i close the screen) it slowly whites out the screen from the corners

[if you want screenshots w/ a digital camera - i think i could get them up here]

and it looks like its gonna burn out the backlight - though i dropped the screen brightness to lowest and it still does it

ideas ?

anyone else experience this issue?

So, I just want a semi-modern driver that works (I'm on the native XP SP1 driver after a fresh install). Doesn't have to be the cream-of-the-crop 60.xx platinum turbocharged would-you-like-fries-with-that version

The latest driver without the black bar problem for your machine type could be 52.16. According to my records at least two 5105 users have used 52.16 without black bar problems. I would suggest inf 11.65, though the latest inf might also work; I have not followed inf versions lately.

Thanks ministeve for jumping in. You surely must know which one has BB and which one not.

Yesterday i reinstalled 52.16 for testing purposes over the current 52.16/11.64 combo with Pieters latest INF 20.5x. Works like a charm.

Just my two cents worth - having tried and tested mant drivers on my 5105 S501, 52.16 does work properly but is quite slow when tested with 3D Mark 2001 SE. The fastest driver for me is 44.68. Other 4x.xx drivers also wotk fine including the recently Toshiba released 46.64. Good luck!

You mean v46.44 released a week ago?