LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Aspect Ratio

SilverFox

Hey Guys,

what does Aspect Ratio mean? Well, it is not hard to figure out what the meaning of "centered" is but what do the other modes do?

Thanks for help,

Fox

Hey Guys,

what does Aspect Ratio mean? Well, it is not hard to figure out what the meaning of "centered" is but what do the other modes do?

Thanks for help,

Fox

It's the ratio of horizontal on vertical resolution. 800 * 600 is 4:3 1280 * 1024 is 5:4

That means that if you want to upscale the image distorts a bit when you choose to fill the entire screen.

Okay, but that does not fully anwer my question. What is the difference between the different modes:

Native, Scaling, Aspect

Okay, but that does not fully anwer my question. What is the difference between the different modes:

Native, Scaling, Aspect

Assuming from context:

native = keep whatever image received, add black borders to fill the screen.

Scaling = stretch the image untill it fits.

Aspect = keep aspect ratio = strectch the image untill it fits horizontal or vertically and fill up with a black border in order to keep aspect ratio avoid image distortion.

I think:

NATIVE means what your LCD is designed/optimized for, i.e. the best resolution at which it was designed to work.

SCALING means displaying a lower resolution image/output on the whole screen, regardless of it's size. e.g. scaling an 800x600 resolution of a game fills the whole screen of a 1600x1200 LCD, but without scaling this would appear as a tiny 800x600 image at the centre of the LCD, the rest of the screen remaining black.

ASPECT is simply the ratio of the horizontal and vertical pixels of your image's or LCD's resolution.

Aspect scaling will scale it properly but will have black bars.

For example on a 19200x1200 screen, having the regular stretch will stretch 1600x1200 to fit 1920x1200, obviously distorting the screen.

Aspect ration strech will have black bars.

With that res it will look the same with black bars with scaling turned off, obviously.

But on the same 1920x1200 screen, if you run 800x600 it will be scaled properly to just 1600x1200 with aspect.

Or 640x480 being scaled to 1280x960.

Regular strech will distort a lot of resolutions.

If you enable the nview desktop manager you can set a hotkey to completely disable streching instantly. (and instantly turn it back on)

Look for the hotkeys tab.

Also on some cards/drivers aspect ratio scaling has been known to lock up/not work correctly/be unstable. (has crashed my PC before)

That was probably just driver related though. Newer ones probably have it fixed.

Monitor scaling would be for an external monitor, your laptop shouldnt use this type, it is always your graphics card scaling the lcd. (and controlling it)

Other manufacturers might be different, but that is how dells usually are.

If the monitor scaling is greyed out don't worry about it, your gf card can probably scaled better than most desktop LCD monitors anyway. (well the controller that runs those)