LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver for Dell M50. System hangs.

Guest Chepe

Guest Chepe

Hi,

(English is not my native language)

I have tried different drivers for this Dell M50 laptop, it has a Quadro4 500 GoGL, the problem is that system hangs in a random manner, I have done everything, from reinstalling XP, with and without service packs, did try several drivers (Dell and from Nvidia site), upgraded BIOS, and so on. :)

Finally, looking on the internet I end on this site, so the question is, is there anyone with the same problem?, is there a solution? any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Chepe

For your information: Always install ServicePacks!

There is a widespread opinion of many people, who apparently don't have any insight in OSs, that ServicePacks corrupt your system. That is wrong.

To answer your question, you should look in the EventViewer to see what is failing and causing the "hangs". Also starts drwtsn32 and have a look if there is pattern of apps who failed just before the OS hangs. Also check your BIOS settings and have a look at the logfiles in your %WINDIR%

What means "hangs"?

As far as I know your the first Quadro4 500goGL owner to visit here.

Welcome to nVsion.

As Dontknow said SP1 is an essential part of WinXP installation.

So is DX9b.

Did this problem just start or has it been happening since you had the laptop.

Sometimes updating a BIOS when nothing is wrong can cause problems.

Now that you have started, have a look at the Dell page on my website there you will find the latest Dell BIOS and driver links.

Get the newest BIOS and the latest Dell driver (probably 4x.xx)

Have a go with this first then if working you can try updating to newer drivers.

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Guest Chepe

I had this laptop from a year now.

I have installed service pack 1, I have updated the systema bios and the bios video card as well.

The problem has been there since the begining, does not matter what I am doing.... checking email, browsing internet, doing some photoshop work, doing some LightWave work... an so on.

Some days, the system works as a charm, but some days it hangs and hangs again. I am used to work this way but this is not normal.

Some years ago, I had the same problem with another Dell, a 2 procesors system with a Synergy force card (nvidia chip), I did try several drivers with no luck, one year later, nvidia released a new driver, I installed it and up to now, the computer is working without hangs. In the meantime, before I installed this driver, I did learn that booting up the computer and waiting about 10-15 minutes, the system does not hangs at all, very weird, but this is the way I used to work with this system.

Now, I have this M50, similar problem. On Nvidias site, they are realising new drivers but with the note that this drivers are not supported for the Quadro 4 Go GL family.

Some final note, this problem is present no matter what is installed, I have tried with and without services packs, with and without BIOS upgrades (both, system and video card) drivers from DELL and drivers from nvidia.

Thanks for listening.

Chepe

nVidia only release to the public Desktop drivers, thats why were here.

I grab those drivers and convert them to laptop versions (the install part anyway)

Do you have anything unusual attached to the sytem (ie in a Docking station with things attached)

I have a feeling something else (not GPU) is causing the problem.

There might be an IRQ conflict.

I for instance have 10 different devices on IRQ10, this is bound to cause problems if more than 4 get used at a time (4 devices can be used with IRQ sharing)

Make sure that all the devices have their latest drivers installed.

You may have to loose some usablilty if there a too many devices being used at once.

Try turning off in the BIOS things you don't use much like Firewire/USB/modem/LAN/Floppy driver/Serial/parrallel ports, 2nd IDE port etc.

Also make sure your Soundcard is using IRQ5 this can be the cause of many a problem if it's not.

The above should only be attempted if you have some experience in this sort of thing.

Good luck, and tell us how you got on,

Pieter.

Guest Chepe

Pieter,

No docking station, this problem is present alwasy, 1 month ago, I reinstalled a fresh copy of XP, to do this, I did format the HD first. The only things attached to the computer are USB devices.

I remember that the system freezes at the second boot. The only way, always, is to hard reset the computer.

I will check IRQs to see if I find something.

One question, must I try Detonator version 42.57 with the 11.63 Modded inf? this is for the Q4 700GoGL, I have the 500.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. :)

Chepe

That INF 11.63 will work with your Quadro as well.

Just a thought, in the INF 11.63 is a line with this:

;HKR,, PushBufferMemorySpace,        %REG_DWORD%,    2

Remove the ';' then make the value 3 not 2 then reinstall.

Pushbuffermemoryspace=3 has been know to fix problems with Dells and Gateways.

Give this is try,

Pieter.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chepe

Just a follow up....

I did install Detonator 42.57 (11.63 Modded inf) more than a week ago, just before rebboting the system hangs... rebooted again and up to now, almost 2 weeks, no more hangs.... what I did?, do not know but now I am happy :)

Hope this last.

Thanks all the people for their suggestions and help.

Chepe

Guest Gialdy

Ok, la version, es en español?

Como comprastes tu laptop? En mexico o por internet? los libros son en español?

Lo que sucede con algunas companias q venden laptops a america latina, es que cambian los sistemas operativos y algunas utilidades. Las versiones desarrolladas por ellos a veces tienen errores o no son compatibles. A veces las laptop son manufacturdas en AL y los parametros de calidad de produccion no son seguidos muy bien.

Tu problema parece ser muy aislado a lo q usalmente vemos aqui y lo unico q se me ocurre es por donde fue manufacturada, ademas de q te ocurre desde que la comprastes.

i like the different language style in here :)

Que version de Win XP tu estas usando?

Which version of XP do you use?

Welche version von XP benutzt Du?

Unfortunenatly my translation prediction ends here :(

Como comprastes ? :P los libros ?

:( :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chepe
Ok, la version, es en español?

Como comprastes tu laptop? En mexico o por internet? los libros son en español?

Lo que sucede con algunas companias q venden laptops a america latina, es que cambian los sistemas operativos y algunas utilidades. Las versiones desarrolladas por ellos a veces tienen errores o no son compatibles. A veces las laptop son manufacturdas en AL y los parametros de calidad de produccion no son seguidos muy bien.

Tu problema parece ser muy aislado a lo q usalmente vemos aqui y lo unico q se me ocurre es por donde fue manufacturada, ademas de q te ocurre desde que la comprastes.

Es una Laptop Dell comprada directamente a Dell desde Mexico.

Salu2