LaptopVideo2Go Forums

No taskbar, icons, or display options :X

Dingo the Dell User

This is my first post. I needed a new laptop driver, and, after finding out that Nvidia doesn't officially support any new laptop drivers for the Go 6800 Ultra, I ran across this site, and it seems that everyone here knows exactly what they are doing ;)

Since my latest driver version is 71.76, I figured I needed an update, especially for Elder Scrolls Oblivion. It ran okay, but still too slow for comfort. I tried installing some new drivers, using the modified INF, through the instructions on this website, and, after restarting, Windows boots up to my desktop image, with no taskbar or icons. I can't even right-click the screen to get into display properties. I CAN do a ctrl+alt+del, though, and see what processes I have going. I had to go into safe mode to uninstall the driver before I could get windows back to a functional state. This problem has been consistent with any driver I've tried to install, whether doing the omega drivers, or the ones through this site.

Is there an application you've got installed that could be causing this.

Normally the driver install work just fine.

Does 71.76 install ? or did you roll back to these ?

Do you see explorer.exe in the task manager when it doesn't run? (that is what is not running)

Could you provide a list or maybe snapshot of programs in the task manager list? (print screen, then run paint or something from the menu)

While it is anoying when explorer doesn't run your pc can still run stuff from that run menu.

You could try restarting the process and seeing if it works anyway. (not a fix to your problem, but maybe you could get your desktop going and change things)

I have never seen that problem on any Dell with any driver, and I bet if I upgrade my brother's M170 to any 8x series it won't do that.

Anyway exactly what new drivers have you tried, and if you tried any drivers not from here or Dell what were they?

I thought Dell would have had atleast a 78 driver for your machine.

Anyway I bet you have something fishy running.

Well, I do have Stardock windowblinds automatically starting up with a custom skin. I have suspected that it maybe the issue, but why would that cause things to disappear with a new driver? It works just fine with the old driver.

I tried unloading it before, and it still ended up with the same problem. I'll take a screenshot.

For mobilenvidia, 71.76 is a driver I rolled back to after uninstalling the others.

*double post*

Well, it seems that windowblinds wasn't the problem, but I have no idea what was. I re-installed 84.43 and I had the same problem, but then, after shutting down explorer from the task manager, then restarting it, explorer re-appeared. I then restarted the system, and lo and behold, explorer was working just fine. I guess it was just a fluke O_o

I will note, though, that when I looked at the commit charge during my first encounter with the problem, it was at 107mb idle, with explorer running. It takes a lot to get XP down to 130 (which I usually idle at), so I figured something was amiss.

Edited by Dingo the Dell User

Glad you solved your "dude where is my taskbar" issue.

Dell has new drivers available 84.30 or so. For Oblivion framerates... you'll have to learn to live without the grass and other not important things. This game is a REAL hardware killer... as Morrowind was in it's time.

Glad you solved your "dude where is my taskbar" issue.

Dell has new drivers available 84.30 or so. For Oblivion framerates... you'll have to learn to live without the grass and other not important things. This game is a REAL hardware killer... as Morrowind was in it's time.

The grass, fortunately, no longer presents a problem after going through that guide on modding it from atomicmpc.com. Think I should revert back to 84.30 instead of sticking to 84.43? I heard some criticism about the driver in other threads here.

The grass, fortunately, no longer presents a problem after going through that guide on modding it from atomicmpc.com. Think I should revert back to 84.30 instead of sticking to 84.43? I heard some criticism about the driver in other threads here.

When you have something working... that there are no issues... don't spend your time upgrading your drivers. There is no such thing as the magic bullet. If a driver gives you a 50% boost in FPS it's called an issue in the first place.

Fiddling with drivers versions over and over will lead you to a hard concrete wall... called reinstall Windows.

Read what each new driver brings and judge if you need it. 84.21 braught Purevideo and 84.25 Oblivion optimisation. If you use Oblivion (and you do) just be sure to use 84.25 and stick with it.