LaptopVideo2Go Forums

84.30 with Vista build 5365 is out

mobilenvidia

I found this driver by accident inside Vista Build 5365.

Even more bizzare was to my amazement the inclusion of my modded INF for 83.40

Microsoft using my INF, never thought I'd see this day :)

Anyway, this driver works for me, where previous builds no driver would work with a Driver.

I can get the old Control Panel to work but alas for me I can't start the NVIDIA driver service which means that I can't get to the new Control Panel.

Driver (very simplified 83.40) modded INF and feedback can be found here

[uPDATE] after some investigation with Teraphy, we found that Vista will search the Windows/inf/ dir on the XP partition for installed drivers.

So my machine which isn't included in the LDDM driver list, Vista searched my XP INF dir found 84.30 then modified it to what I found.

It then read the [sourceDisksFiles] part of the INF and copyied the files from the HD to the Vista Panther install dir.

This made a driver that is usable by Vista but not installed.

This is a very sneaky way for Vista to operate, this can also happen with other drivers as well.

So no job for me at Microsoft or Dell just yet I'd better apologise to the boss and get my old job back :)