LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quanta MW1 heat problems?

Guest marty

Guest marty

Tried modded drivers with my laptop (Quanta MW1 go6600 128mb MXM2 DEV_148).

But both versions I tried (8421 and 8425 - which are recommended) seems to have a problem

with heat control on my notebook.

With original dirvers (7750) when GPU reaches 75C - fan kicks on and lowers temp to 55C.

With modded drivers fan turns on only when GPU reaches ~88C and lovers temp to ~68C :)

Any thoughts? :)

P.S. both times I did complete reinstall - uninstalled old drivers, rebooted, intalled new ones.

One wild guess... are you comparing apples to apples. Are the IDLE temperatures the same in each case?

You seem to have a 20 degrees delta between the high and low temperatures. If the IDLE has the same 13 degrees offset I would not be too concerned.

Edited by Fabrice Roux

Guest marty
One wild guess... are you comparing apples to apples. Are the IDLE temperatures the same in each case?

temperatures I've provided are IDLE temperatures :)

temperatures I've provided are IDLE temperatures :)

Ouch... My 6800 is at 43C IDLE and I live in the rather hot area. (27C this afternoon)

So unless there is an issue with the driver... there is a cooling issue on your machine. On my laptop the GPU fan has 2 speeds. It's in low speed exept when I play a 3D game. The air that gets out of my PC is FAR from being hot. You just notice it's warmer than the rest of the body.

Guest marty

And when you play games, then the fan spins constantly and temperature never exceeds 75C...

Quanta has only 1 fan, that cools CPU and GPU. When IDLE fan is turned off and turns on every ~5-6 minutes, cools down CPU and GPU, then turns off afain.

It's how these machines work. Sadly :)

And when you play games, then the fan spins constantly and temperature never exceeds 75C...

Quanta has only 1 fan, that cools CPU and GPU. When IDLE fan is turned off and turns on every ~5-6 minutes, cools down CPU and GPU, then turns off afain.

It's how these machines work. Sadly :)

One fan often means that the CPU and GPU are interconnected to the same cooling system. In the end they tend to share the heat also. Given this specific behaviour the monitoring/regulation logic hardware is different which means you have to stick with "manufacturer official" drivers.