LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PowerDVD7 play DVD mvies choppy on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop

Guest Bill

Guest Bill

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with Geforce 440 Go 64M

Well I had PowerDVD5 on it before and download one of your modded infs (can't remember which version) about a year ago so I could play HalfLife2 and Everquest on my laptop and the DVD movies played fine and smoothly on it.

I reinstalled XP on it to "clean" my laptop and downloaded 84.21 also your modded inf. I purchased an upgrade to PowerDVD7 and in PowerDVD7 the movie get choppy or jerkness every I would say about 10-15 seconds.

So I came back to this forum thinking it could be the latest modded inf issue since I did not have that problem before and found this post about VMR so I downloaded the modded inf and the 84.25 to go with it. The installed it and rebooted it. Still the same result, I have tried VMR both off and on in the properties and still same thing.

Right now I am in a motel room writing this post hoping to get this issue resolve so I could watch some DVD movies so I don't have my PowerDVD5 cd disc to see if the PowerDVD7 upgrade is the issue of this choppy video or it the video driver.

I download an old Dell driver which I will go try next after making this post and see if it the driver or not.

Any suggestion or tips I could try to improve or remove this choppyness from the DVD movies?

I notice the harddrive lights seem to blink more faster now than before when I play the DVD movie.

Thank you

Bill

Guest Bill

**UPDATE**

After installing an 2/3 year old Dell 440 driver downloaded from Dell Support Site the DVD movies seem to play smoothly now like before but I can't play my games unless I installed latest driver with your modded inf.

I can't remember what version I installed over a year ago that allowed me to play the DVD smoothly and the games but is there a version that you suspect might started effecting the DVD players in video and what version should I go back to and what modded inf?

Thanks

Bill

Well this is a classic issue called *VMR is not your FRIEND*. With the 84.xx you probably need to disable the VMR in the display properties/advanced/geforce/video overlay. (just untick the VMR checkbox at the bottom)

Guest Bill
Well this is a classic issue called *VMR is not your FRIEND*. With the 84.xx you probably need to disable the VMR in the display properties/advanced/geforce/video overlay. (just untick the VMR checkbox at the bottom)

I did disable the VMR in that location you described and it was still choppy until I went back to Dell old driver.

Both disabling/enabling in 84.25 made no difference unless I missed something.

I will go reinstall 84.25 tonight and try again but if it doesn't help then is there a version I can go back to avoid the VMR issue to be able to still play some games and watch DVD on the same driver?

Right now I have both drivers saved on my laptop so I just switch one or the other depending if I am playing games or watching a DVD movie.

Thank you for your reponse!

Bill

Guest Bill

There is one thing I may not have done is reboot the laptop after I had enable or disable VMR.

Do you think that may be the case? I will try that tonight.

Thanks

Bill

So I came back to this forum thinking it could be the latest modded inf issue since I did not have that problem before and found this post about VMR so I downloaded the modded inf and the 84.25 to go with it. The installed it and rebooted it. Still the same result, I have tried VMR both off and on in the properties and still same thing.

I just wanted to be sure, you tried the Overlay Fix tweak, right? Are you getting any problems with other players too, like WMP?