LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Hard disk/Motherborad problem

uroscar

OK, I have a problem. My computer significantly slowed down. At first I thought it mght be something with CPU overheating or some problems with the Bridges, but than I ran in SiSoft Sandra the "read benchmark" of my hard drive and I got horrible results. Only 3000 kB/s!!!! I tested my external USB hard drive and it showed a pretty diecent 29000 kB/s.

So please, any idea on what to do would be perfect. Is there any way to test for errors the connection or IDE channels between the motherboard and hard drive?

Thanks!!!

Edited by uroscar

Try speedfan (almico.com/speedfan.php) and report back with a screenshot of the SMART page.

immagine9xw.jpg

immagine13va.jpg

immagine27ai.jpg

And the Sandra readings:

immagine30xy.jpg

immagine41vp.jpg

I don't think is a HDD problem since I put this HDD in another computer and it worked 100% speed.

Any ideas? :) :)

So Seek time performance is all the way down according to your problem descritption and verified SMART analysis. Hm? That's weird.

Have you openend up the Laptop case and accidentically loosened cables? Is the HD seated/connected correctly in Laptop?

Check if it runs on the right mode - shouldn't it be ATA-100? My 1714 did about 40 MB/s.

UDMA5/ATA100 yes, but hopefully not PIO.

How a HD can set itself to PIO without User intervention (BIOS) is unclear to me.

It's more Windows switching the HDD to PIO when a driver issue comes up.

Took the HDD out, removed all the cables, reinstalled it, reinstalled WinXP, no luck. Any ideas?

Took the HDD out, removed all the cables, reinstalled it, reinstalled WinXP, no luck. Any ideas?

Check your HD driver properties, if it uses DMA or PIO. Should be DMA.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the problem resolved itself.....the whole computer burned down. So all I have right now is a huge brick, and a P200MMX with 32Mb of Ram with a huge 1.2Gb HDD working. :( :( :) :P My Acer just stopped working and a wierd smell came from it...kinda like burning plastic. Frist,a month ago, the screen went black, than the HDD worked extremly slow, and finaly the blacknes prevailed. I'm so saaaad. Now I'm without my laptop so please bear with me on the BIOS acer section. I'll do my best in buying a new laptop. I guess I'm not gonna buy an Acer.... :P Man, sorry for all the "crying" but I have nobody else but this forum to confess an weep like a baby. :)

Bye

What a pity :) Was quite a neat laptop...

Warranty is already gone?