LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Original clock and mem for Go7800

hocky

I just got my shiny new E1705 and found that the original Dell setting is 250/683 for core/mem speeds.

This isnt even the advertised clock rate on nVidia's site for Go7800.

I see that the core is 400 MHz but does anyone know what is the default mem speed ?

Will setting my Dell to the original settings fry it? :)

The 7800 Go should work with frequencies 400/550. Running the GPU at those frequencies will drain your battery life, will produce more heat... that might lead to an overheating.

You should visit the overclocking section of the forum. You might find there some usefull tips and techniques.

ps: there is no "official" frequencies on laptop GPUs... most of the time the OEM choses the frequencies on its own. The worst example might be the 6800 Go that is stated to work at 375 but can reach 450 with "proper cooling" but works at 290 on my Dell.

Guest Guest
The 7800 Go should work with frequencies 400/550. Running the GPU at those frequencies will drain your battery life, will produce more heat... that might lead to an overheating.

You should visit the overclocking section of the forum. You might find there some usefull tips and techniques.

ps: there is no "official" frequencies on laptop GPUs... most of the time the OEM choses the frequencies on its own. The worst example might be the 6800 Go that is stated to work at 375 but can reach 450 with "proper cooling" but works at 290 on my Dell.

400/550? Wait a minute.. you recommend slowing down memory? It is default at 683MHz or something close to that now.

Its the core that is slow. I thought core and mem are like a ratio. I can't possibly want to do 400 with downgraded mem do I?

I know now that the Go7800 defaults at 400/1100.

I've updated the driver now and it has the automatic clock rate where it tests the rates. I lowered it by 10MHz for core and mem..fan does go on sooner..but it is much quieter than my 5160.

That was me..I didnt know you can post as guest..neat.

Edited by hocky

400/550? Wait a minute.. you recommend slowing down memory? It is default at 683MHz or something close to that now.

Its the core that is slow. I thought core and mem are like a ratio. I can't possibly want to do 400 with downgraded mem do I?

The 550 MHz is the RAM frenquecy... which happens to be DDR... then end up in "effective" frequency of 1.1 GHz.

You can missmatch the core and RAM frequencies... there is no such thing as locked ratio.