LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell M1710 vs. E1705

sn0wl

Several weeks ago, we reviewed the Dell XPS M1710 laptop. The overall performance and features are impressive, but not everyone wants a laptop with a glowing XPS logo. There are also plenty of people out there that would like a large desktop replacement notebook, but they really don't care that much about gaming performance. Even the lowest end XPS laptop still packs quite a bit of gaming power, and while Windows Vista will benefit from having a faster 3D accelerator, it's not due until early 2007, and it still isn't clear which currently available graphics solutions will truly allow you to get the most out of Vista.

dell1705.jpg

So what happens if you start with the XPS M1710, drop the fancy paint job, get rid of the glowing lights, downgrade the graphics a bit, but keep everything else the same? The answer is the Dell Inspiron E1705, and quite a few of you have already asked how they compare. The simple answer is that the two are basically identical, other than the bling-bling and graphics card options. The M1710 is essentially the E1705 with most of the high-end component choices. The XPS line also adds the option of choosing a GeForce Go 7900 GTX 512MB graphics card, whereas the Inspiron E1705 tops out with the GeForce Go 7900 GS 256MB.

While that quick explanation of things does summarize the situation nicely, it glazes over many of the details. For example, how does the faster graphics card affect gaming performance? Which one has better battery life? Does the XPS get noticeably hotter than the E1705? These are all important questions, and we will do our best to provide answers in this follow-up article to the initial M1710 review. We also have two versions of the E1705, one with a GeForce Go 7800 GPU and the other with ATI's Radeon Mobility X1400.

Besides comparing the E1705 and the M1710, we will also take a closer look at the construction of both systems, and we will provide more information on the included components and overall system design. Naturally, both of these laptops are still in the desktop replacement (DTR) category, so if you're looking for a thin and light notebook computer, you will want to look elsewhere. (Dell also has the Inspiron E1505, which reduces the size by going with a 15 inch display.) There are also bigger, faster DTR computers available, so if you want performance and portability above all else, there are perhaps better options. However, the E1705 in particular strikes a good balance between performance, size, and battery life while maintaining a price that, while not cheap, is far more palatable than most of the alternatives. Read the rest of the article by AnandTech here.

This laptop is also known as Inspiron 9400... at least in Europe. :)

This laptop is also known as Inspiron 9400... at least in Europe. :)

I think it's called that in every country but the US/Canada

I think it's called that in every country but the US/Canada

What about Mexico??? Are they trying to beat Intel at the stupidest product line naming competition?

Well I looked it up... Dell Mexico has an Inspiron 9400 that feature a scary Doble Nucleo.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Armandoban

It should be noted the build of the e1705 and 9400 are not as solid as the M1710 which shares chassis and case materials with the Precision M90. The M1710 also has the M90 keyboard, which is a bit more responsive and pleasant not to mention more spill resistant. Despite the funky lights which are actually VERY tiny little diodes almost flush with the board, it's basically a Precision M90 underneath the skin. THe Precisions are also built to withstand more abuse, so the M1710 is likely to hold up better in the long run. Buildwise, this system is absolutely in a different class than an e1705 or 9400.

Seriously, would the prices be THAT different if they were virtually the same computers with minor differences? Performance=same, build=different. It's all there where you just can't see..

BTW guys your registration process is awful. What field is not filled? Which one has more information than allowed? (???) Why does it reset most of the dropdowns every time it has an error, that's a bit annoying.. I think you'd have a lot more members if you tweaked it a bit..

Cheers!

BTW guys your registration process is awful. What field is not filled? Which one has more information than allowed? (???) Why does it reset most of the dropdowns every time it has an error, that's a bit annoying.. I think you'd have a lot more members if you tweaked it a bit..

Adapt yourself to the problems in front of you...

Why do you fill the optional stuff now??? Register with the bare minimun (left column) first... then log in and edit the optional stuff (right column).

Adapt yourself to the problems in front of you...

Why do you fill the optional stuff now??? Register with the bare minimun (left column) first... then log in and edit the optional stuff (right column).

I have adapted and overcome. I don't know what went wrong that one dark night so long ago last week when I tried to register.. Something didn't like me. Today the form is my friend.

And I must say kudos to you guys allowing anonymous comments, I was grateful at least to be able to say anything at all despite what issues I was for some reason having..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your all NOT probably gonna like this but hey life?s a b**** ......

My experience with Dell :- I feel for all u guys who are getting shafted where the sun doesnt shine, u gotta look at it in perspective Dell are a multi billion £ organisation >>>> use the system now I will tell you the secret of getting a M1710 laptop £2300 system for £1337 not inc VAT

1st I called Dell and ordered my beautiful sexy M1710 MAXED OUT inc backcover etc .... and also a 924 printer,scanner,copier..NOTE>>> Never accept first offer or EVER BUY ONLINE >>> ALWAYS BARTER THEY WANT YOUR MONEY and the sales gimps want their bonus.... So I managed to get the rep after going to her "manager" ye right lol .... down to £1900 >> SPEC > 2.16 dual 2048MB MEM 100GB 7,200RPM,Bluetooth, Wireless, 512MB 7900 Graphics, XP Pro, Backcover, Printer 924, 1 years warranty MAXED OUT M1710 u get the idea I can email u the product list with codes to prove.....THE GAME BEGINS.....

On the Dell site it clearly says 5-7 days delivery from order this is where they shoot themselves in the foot.. My delivery date was some 14 days I think on the phone straight away to customer services complaining against there advertised delivery time making some excuse like I needed it in that time for a presentation or something and now I?m f*%>" so how are you going to compensate me?>> £40 cheque in the post for late delivery >>>> Now not all of you know this but the screen on the new Dell M1710 leaks light in the bottom left and right corners 1st point of complaint but not the main one >> Listen carefully now ..

NOTE > Sales and technical never talk and Sales people are NOOBS they dont know F*&% ALL. The scam starts you need to tell them you have a problem with the screen it leaks alot of light so they will send a techi to replace screen or fix, make sure your not at home and someone else is to let them in and change the screen. When u get home it will be the same so get straight onto Dell complaining its worse> well what happened to me was he replaced it but as a result when it goes onto stand by the screen went completely white and when u close it the screen stayed on :-S lol so they collected it to get sent for repair straight onto technical complaining so good will gesture was a £80 camera sold on ebay for £60 so sofar £100 to me I got fed up and asked for a complete replacement system which they did...Now this is what u do to get them to send u a nice a cheap system I called them for a laugh just to see what price they?d give me? lol the money shot lol call sales go through ie M1710 spec MAX IT OUT they give you a price then say no too expensive ie they quoted me (3rd system 2nd quote) around £1900 I said no too expensive then they ask (Indian) how much are you looking to spend? I say £1500 they say no cant do that ... So say ok well never mind goodbye..

They log your call and ofcorse the sales rep remembers you because your a potential buyer and bonus for her ...She cold called me a week later saying she can offer me this system for that price so ofcorse I wanted to send my replacement system for the original order back so this is how I did it you have to have a 30" dell monitor say you have a 30" dell monitor that goes to a resolution of 2460x1600 call Technical and tell them you were told when speaking to a sales rep that they said " The M1710 will be compatible with the 30" screen at a resolution of 2460x1600. Now this system will only go to the resolution of 1280x800 COMPLAIN > they log down your complaint and add that you were sold a system badly informed and that makes you eligible for a complete refund remember Sales and technical never talk and Sales people are NOOBS. So i got a complete refund well £190 because I went for the old scheme buy now pay in 2007 which is discontinued now so I got my money back the new order was placed on 12-07-06 and delivery is estimated 31-07-06 so here we go again lol more complaints and goodwill coming my way lmfao..

£2300 system for £1337.87 Exc. VAT MAXED OUT M1710 with printer Remember > camera on ebay £60 and £40 delivery good will gesture + more to come hahahahahhahaha

Take note > and not taken 4 a ride REMEMBER they want your money and they want bonus lol

Bye for now email me and I can send u proof of everything hahahah

To be continued?????..

• 1 month later...

got there maxed out preselected 1710 (with duo 2ghz) + 2GBRam + XPMC & Rem And Tv tuner 1 years rtb + 1 years accidental for 1500k. totalls around 2k so dont htink i got a bad deal.

got there maxed out preselected 1710 (with duo 2ghz) + 2GBRam + XPMC & Rem And Tv tuner 1 years rtb + 1 years accidental for 1500k. totalls around 2k so dont htink i got a bad deal.

Theres a win amp add in that pulses the light to the music you play, personally i think thats just the bog dollocks of sillishowiness and i lub it.

Only one problem i see is that alot of sony batteries dell use have litrally exploded in flames sparks and smoke http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550

Lipo batteries when ever charged are a serious explosive.

• 1 month later...

I'm finding that Dell computers are horrible for gaming. I've had two XPS systems. The first a Generation I which burned up playing Battle for Middle Earth. And now they sent a replacement M1710 and it won't even play Battle for Middle Earth let alone Battle for Middle Earth II. The Nvidia graphics card seems incapable of keeping up because it will only show the splash screen and after that the program quits responding. The tech at Nvidia directed me to Laptopvideo2go and said people here would know how to fix the issue, but there is no direct email to anybody here that I have seen unless I am overlooking it. The two games work on every other system I've tried them on, but all of them had ATI radeon video cards. Seems neither Dell nor Nvidia have a solution as to why their ultimate gaming machine/video card can't play a game.