LaptopVideo2Go Forums

First Post, Attempting first upgrade (Fan & Cooling)

phyrvurm

Hi, this my first post on the forum. I've been lurking for awhile and have appreciated the discussions.

The fan on my Inspiron 8200 is starting to crap out. It makes this hideous grinding sound when it starts cranking and sounds like it's working way too hard. I8kfanGUI says I'm geting CPU temps of 66C so I'm not overheating yet but it's only a matter of time.

My question is what is a good upgrade that I could replace the standard Dell OEM fan with? Also, any tips on where I could look for some simple cooling upgrades? Any replies would be helpfull. I'm just a newb so be nice :)

Thanks!!

Edited by phyrvurm

You should be able to pick up replacement fans very easily for something like $30 from third party suppliers via Google.

Here's a link to Dell's Inspiron 8200 disassembly instructions.

If you're feeling more ambitious, you could have a go at improving the efficiency of the heat sink by replacing the thermal pad between the heat sink and the CPU. This is straightforward but needs to be done carefully. Have a look here to get some idea of what's involved apart from disassembly / assembly. I don't have enough experience to recommend one thermal grease or ceramic paste rather than another -- but I used Arctic Silver 5 on my 8100 and got a cooling improvement of almost 10 degs celsius.

For anti-static precautions, I'd recommend using an earthing wrist-strap rather than simply relying on remembering to ground yourself to earth occasionally.

Hope this helps, and good luck.