LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Possible Knockout caused by modded inf?

Guest Stoepsel

Guest Stoepsel

Hi guys,

i am using laptopvideo2go modded-infs a long time now, since notebook developers' support of those gpus is usually quite bad in my opinion. Now, my "old" Dell XPS Notebook had produced very often display-mistakes and that started off from one day to the other (simply on Windows-Desktop but also in games). I couldn't work with it any longer so Dell decided to exchange the whole device. During the period of waiting I decided to reactivate my old Medion-Notebook in order to work with it - and so I also installed the newest Nvidia driver with the modded inf-file. Suddenly the Notebook showed nearly the same display-mistakes as the dell did.

Now my question is: Is there any possibility that the original nvidia driver (which maybe not optimized for the mobile gpus) used with the modded inf could have destroyed my graphics-adapters??? I need to know this, because my new notebook has a GeForce 7900 GS and I don't want to toast that one again! Actually Dell still supports this adapter with an up-to-date driver but since I'm planning to check out Vista Beta I need the modded inf for the Vista-Beta-driver in order to install it!!! Is there any danger concerning this??????

Oh and does anyone know whether the XP-Drivers would also work properly with vista??

Thanx and greetz from Germany,

Chris

I think we can ease your mind. Unless you're overclocking, there's nothing in a modded inf that would hurt your GPU. Some settings may not work properly with individual GPUs, but they would only result in graphic glitches, not damage. Can you describe exactly what you're seeing?

And yes, XP drivers do work with Vista, though you won't get the Glass effects. Most people find the XP drivers to be better than the Vista drivers at the moment.

Guest Guest
I think we can ease your mind. Unless you're overclocking, there's nothing in a modded inf that would hurt your GPU. Some settings may not work properly with individual GPUs, but they would only result in graphic glitches, not damage. Can you describe exactly what you're seeing?

And yes, XP drivers do work with Vista, though you won't get the Glass effects. Most people find the XP drivers to be better than the Vista drivers at the moment.

Thank you for your quick response. Well what happened when the failures appeared was that sometimes the screen just switched to black, sometimes there where little red "waves" on the screen and the system hung up. Sometimes I had just a few flickering black pixels which where followed by a lock up... And this went worse day by day...

When I restarted the system I usually got a bluescreen I attached to this post.... When the driver once locked up during windows work the screen looked like the second attachment with just 16 colors or something... That really suxx. But the new notebook works well until today :) And I want to keep it that way! :)

post-0-1149836591_thumb.jpg

post-0-1149836597_thumb.jpg

Both screens definitely look like driver problems, though I'm not sure what caused them. It's possible we enabled some feature (fastwrites or sideband addressing) that your old machine didn't support, though neither should cause any damage. It might have been simple hardware failure.

I'm glad the new system is working well. Let us know if you start seeing anything similar.

Guest Guest
Both screens definitely look like driver problems, though I'm not sure what caused them. It's possible we enabled some feature (fastwrites or sideband addressing) that your old machine didn't support, though neither should cause any damage. It might have been simple hardware failure.

Well, yeah, I guess it was a hardware failure. Before I started to contact Dell in that case I reinstalled Windows completely (also formatted hd) and then installed the original drivers from dell-website. The failures continued! So it must have been a hardware damage, I guess. But that's exactly what I'm concerned about: That a wrong driver might have caused that damage. But if I am understanding you correctly, you say that this is "absolutly impossible", right!?

Yes, that's right. The only thing that could cause physical damage is overclocking.