LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Stop this hate towards the 8400M

Ex Bond

Another game that runs quite well on the 8400M GS: Race Driver: GRiD. I was surprised at how well it ran, actually. Everything set to medium, except for shadows which is set to low, and Damage which is set to high, with an 800x600 resolution yielded an average of ~30 frames per second. The game looks beautiful on these settings, and runs very smoothly. '

Side note: No AA and no O/C.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ex Bond

• Anchel

• iudeus

• nosushi4you

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As long as people accept the fact that they have to run at lower settings, the 8400m GS ain't so bad. I play UT3 at 30-60fps (admittedly at lowest settings), :) May Cry 4 at medium settings, FEAR at basically default settings....

What kind of memory do you have? I heard that the 8400M GS can run F.E.A.R. at max settings and UT3 at medium settings. I guess that also depends on your CPU, RAM, and processor.

Depends what you consider a reasonable framerate I guess. You could probably run UT3 on medium settings and maintain 30fps. I prefer to drop settings a bit and aim for 60.

I usually consider 30 FPS a considerable framerate. Don't notice much difference between 30 and 60, meself.

• 2 months later...

Sorry Guys!

Which is the best driver for 8400M G?

169.xx is the way?

I'm thankful for yours answer!

Edited by Trustdesa

Apologizing for the ignorant questions...

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with the nVideo 8400M GS card/128MB.

I want to play some games games that came out in 2005-2007.... Bioshock, Fear, Half Life 2, etc. I have been using the drivers that came with the laptop from Dell. I just stumbled on this site and have a few questions...

1. Should I use the latest 180.70 drivers? I'm guessing this is the way to go? or should I use older drivers for some reason?

2. How can I test the video performance before the driver upgrade, and after the driver upgrade?

3. I *think* I have to download the custom INF along wit the actual 30+MB driver file download too, right? If so, do I then just replace the .inf file thats included in that download with the custom enhanced one? This part kind of confuses me.

4. I hear talk about OC'ing the GPU. I haven't done any overclocking on a PC in 10+ years, lol.. 486 days actually... Is there a program on this site that someone can use to overclock the GPU and test the results? I don't see this as part of the 180.70 download package.

Thanks for the help... Even with the default drivers from Dell, it plays Half Life 2 and Fear great. Bioshock may be another story when I finally install that.

Regards,

JR

1. 178.24 by Dox

2. 3dmark06, Fraps + your game

3. You don't have to (with the driver I mentioned)

4. RivaTuner, nTune, ATITool

Hello everybody,

I have problem, cuz i tried to play Football Menager 09 on my hp laptop with geforce 8400M GS with 256MB, and game runs until the first match and then the game is not responding, what should i do? I have Vista home premium 64bit and dox driver version - 178.24.

What should i do to run this f*** game ?

There is info from nvidia control panel, im noob in this so could u guys check is it ok ?

Driver versuib 178,24

Stream proccesors 16

core clock 400Mhz

Memory clock 400mhz (800mhz data rate)

memory interface 64bit

Total avalible graphic memory 2047MB

Dedicated video memory 256mb

System video memory 0mb

shared system memory 1791 mb

• 2 weeks later...

I ran gpu-z and it gave me this for my 8400m gs... is this even possible? fuu.png

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BobDabuilder

True the 8400m gs is so underrated I got like 34 fps in bioshock with DX10 on I OC my card so it would pay FC2 on textures and geometry on high and realtrees physics and fire on very high but everything else on low and I get minimum 20 average 29.85 and maximum 39.94 :)