LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v171.16 VISTA 32bit |

mobilenvidia

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whitetigerx7

• Anchel

• zipper

• ffantasy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 169.04s were BETA testing stage drivers. Sometimes BETAs will have these features which will allow the driver to override the BIOS and allow a software level overclock. However BETA drivers that do this are usually used to test card's limitations and determine how fast clocks might be able to be clocked by certain manufacturers that do factory OCing like XFX and BFGTech. By no means does that ensure stability and full usability on a normal basis.

Do you know if i can modify my hp dv9500t's/8600gs vga bios to overclock from there? I've read some guides in the past on how to load up a modified bios, but i'm not sure if its possible for my card/laptop.

Even then I still can't understand why some cards can overclock with every driver while others can't.

nVidia states the following in their site:

GeForce 8600M GS

Stream Processors ---- 16

Core Clock (MHz) ----- 600

Shader Clock (MHz) --- 1200

Memory Clock (MHz) --- 700

Maximum Memory ---- 512MB

Memory Interface ----- 128-bit

So obviously my card comes underclocked (which could be the main reason why I'm not getting the expected performance out of my card, which is running even SLOWER than my old laptop with a GeForce Go 7400 on many games). That is definetely not tolerable. I buy a new Sony laptop because I wanted better performance and I get something which is running WORSE??

Alright, so many modern games of course run better and faster, but games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Prince of Persia games, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Fable and many others run slow, sometimes requiring me to lower the resolution to get a "tolerable" performance.

I tried to OC with 169.04 drivers and at first only stayed at the nVidia's specifications clock speeds. There sure was a performance increase in those games! And yet, 169.04 drivers never worked great for me, so I can surely expect a much better performance out of, say for example, 169.28 if I were able to OC them.

So believe me, I'm not ranting about how I can't OC just to get a slightly better performance. I have very good reasons to be angry about the subject. I bought some games last year that I can't play now because of the horrendous performance. Do I also want better performance in Crysis? Of course, just like everybody else. But that is of minor importance when taking into account all the other problems I'm having.

Anyway, sorry if the post sounded a bit rude. It's just that I can't stand being treated by both Sony and nVidia support as if it was all my problem and not theirs. "Re-install DirectX", "Format your hard-drive", "Defrag your hard-drive"... all of those have been done several times now, and it's obvious that it is not the real problem. So now what?

Yet I still want to thank all of you who have been providing help on this. Maybe someday we will be able to override that stupid OC locking at least for those of us who got an underclocked card.

installed it on fresh vista.....seems pretty stable.....LOMAC is runing nicely apart from some problems in rendering....also in NFS Prostreet demo it is stable but still some rendering problems................

wooaaahhh

well guys, trying to OC using Ntune...no luck so far.....but i thought ill bench it anyways.....gears of war all max shadows medium.....35fps....i repeat.....35fps without OC....(MSI GX700 Extreme Edition)

now with the 169.28 drivers....this was not easy to attain and a lot of overclocking was needed native fps without overclocking was 23....this is a 12fps jump with these drivers.....

highly :) recomended.....

Edited by yahya

u using the INF from this post? for me, i cant OC it using ntune.. it will switch back to default clock once i click apply... even same situation as 169.28...

Downloaded this driver, accidentally self-extracted the driver onto my desktop, so I deleted all the files and tried to extract it again. File said "Windows cannot access this specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Now, I'm the only user on this laptop and it worked fine before when I accidentally extracted it onto my desktop (and it's worked fine for all the other times I've updated the drivers as well). Now it's not. I've tried deleting it and re-downloading the file only to have the same error occur.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

work with 8400m gt in sony laptop thanks,just click setup!!!

Guest Ed_Oscuro
Downloaded this driver, accidentally self-extracted the driver onto my desktop, so I deleted all the files and tried to extract it again. File said "Windows cannot access this specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Now, I'm the only user on this laptop and it worked fine before when I accidentally extracted it onto my desktop (and it's worked fine for all the other times I've updated the drivers as well). Now it's not. I've tried deleting it and re-downloading the file only to have the same error occur.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I would've said Safe Mode, but try this:

"Right Click on the file, go to properties, general tab. It will probably

say "file has come from another computer and is being blocked"."

If that doesn't work, continue with my Google Search (I used advice from the first result):

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz...amp;btnG=Search

Good luck with it!

Guest Dan C Johnson
wooaaahhh

well guys, trying to OC using Ntune...no luck so far.....but i thought ill bench it anyways.....gears of war all max shadows medium.....35fps....i repeat.....35fps without OC....(MSI GX700 Extreme Edition)

now with the 169.28 drivers....this was not easy to attain and a lot of overclocking was needed native fps without overclocking was 23....this is a 12fps jump with these drivers.....

highly :) recomended.....

I used riva tuner, got a high oc 13702, dell xps m1730 oc to 3.2, but i still have problems playing gow, freezes up hear and there

I'm afraid I don't understand any of your scores :S

You say you got a high OC of 13702?? Is that your 3DMark '06 score??

And your "oc to 3.2" is your Windows Experience Index?

Please specify. What clock speeds did you OC to? If you go to high it might be normal for the game to freeze...

I used riva tuner, got a high oc 13702, dell xps m1730 oc to 3.2, but i still have problems playing gow, freezes up hear and there

u OC by using 171.16 and rivatuner? can success? mine 1 will switch back default also once apply...

I installed these drivers a few days ago and they are working perfectly. The only problem I had is that once the notebook would not come out of sleep (but I seem to have an issue once with every drive i try). So I would reccomend these drivers to anyone.

i have been using this driver but i don't see any changes in my performance in games like crysis.

What could be the problem?

Before this, i am using 169.04.

whitetigerx7:

So you say the BIOS is what is locking my OCing, right?

Since I have heard once or twice about flashing the video card BIOS, I would like to know if that could help me overcome my problem.

Of course I'm aware of the risk this has, and that's why I'm asking. I want to know if it is possible and, in that case, if it is difficult or risky to achieve.

Good driver, seems to have sorted the frame rate drops whilst playing World in Conflict. No need for me to overclock just yet either. Although NTune lets me do it with no problems at all.

Ntune OC works fine for u? me still having problem in OC using 171.16.. will change back default clock speed when apply it.

Updating a laptop VideoBIOS is not the same as a desktop PCIe/AGP/PCI card solution. laptops use proprietary hardware often and attempting to flash a new BIOS onto it can often break the card. Companies will issue BIOS updates if they fell you need them. Desktops models often have a BIOS that works on all models of that chip and model number. For example a LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti 4600 can use the same BIOS as a BFG tech GeForce 4 Ti 4600.

It varies from person to person. The only way to tell what's best for you computer and programs is to try both.

I'll put it this way...

The 171.16 drivers gave my system a level of performance the last WHQL drivers and even official release BETA drivers with equal stability to the WHQL drivers offered by Nvidia and even Microsoft's WindowsUpdate database. Truth be told I've never had this level of performance especially on a GeForce Go 6150 which is a base-line embedded on-chip GPU. I always recommend what I use personally and test and publish even for my own INF.

This driver rocks,

I got a 8600M gt 512Mb DDR2, with these drivers I get 5588 score in 3dmark06. I don't game allot but my latest game is UT3, can play it with all settings on high, v-sync on everything. And runs smooth, so I can really reccomend them to people with a 8600M GT!

Does anyone with a Dell XPS M1710 7950GXT know if these drivers are better for our system then the currect performance drivers 167.45 from Dell for Vista 32bit? I have tried a few of these Laptop2go drivers in the past but they seem to be less stable and run at higher temps so I want to be careful before I try anything new.