LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Terrible News, my i9400/E1705 has died

mobilenvidia

I feel your pain. The day after last Thanksgiving my e1705 died. I had the Go 7800 card. It would boot into Windows but I couldn't run any 3d apps and it would freeze up with artifacts all over the screen if I left it on too long. It even had artifacts on the POST screen so I fugured the video memory was going bad. I openned up the laptop and found a thick layer of dust on the cooling fan (the e1705's are horrible for this...you have to take the laptop completely apart and disconnect the screen and take the video card out before you can clean it). It took me over 2 months to find a replacement on ebay that worked. I got a 7900GS for $149.99 and installed it...bad video memory and nasty artifacts all over the screen. Luckily the ebay guy replaced it and the 2nd card worked. Now my e1705 is back in business...only took 3 months lol

Luckily for me I got it sorted in a week.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Hey I am having the same problem as you had! Mine had the artifacting ect. It boots into vga mode fine (with minor artifacts). I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I am throwing $800 down on a new desktop (quad + 8800 custom :) ). Was the gfx the only problem you had? You said something about memory. Was that your problem or did the new gfx clear things up? I guess I can still repair this thing otherwise its a 17in paperweight with vga mode. Dell said they would charge me $200 bucks to send it to them and they would replace my gfx. They knocked down the price since I never used my mfg warranty.

The Video memory (I thnk) went bad, why the pixelation occurred.

The replacement Go7900GS BIOS modded to Go7900GTX is working just fine and all my graphicss issues are resolved.

• 11 months later...
Guest Guest

Fan controler for Dell E1705/9400 etc:

I8kFanGui

It allows custom fan speeds for both fans in the E1705, download it and watch your temps drop! My T7600 Engineering Sample CPU idles at 42 C and my GPU idles at 48C. Good luck!

Yes I used to use this when I was a 32bit OS man, but alas these great fan control apps don't work with x64 OS's