LaptopVideo2Go Forums

FX 5200Go...yes it's old

-Z-

Hi all,

i recently stumbled across this website.

Currently i'm not experiencing any problems,

so the Question is:

Should i give it a try or stick with my current driver?

(and why do i ask around here? see background)

Background:

- when i got this laptop 4.5 years ago i was soon annoyed about the lack of updates.

- decided to download nvidia-driver, of course i noticed no "go"-card being officially supported

- then decided "oh well the normal GeForce 5200 sounds almost the same" (no comment)

- ran system using downloaded drivers and chosen 5200 as gfx card

- 2 months later HP donated me a new fx 5200 go due to the old being wrecked

- since then i use the one and only official driver

Current additional information:

-Driver Version is displayed as 6.14.10.4487

Temperature-wise the laptop shuts down at approx 80°C,

this doesn't happen when using the "Laptop" energy scheme

(well it does but only when modem + a 3D game is being used)

Thanks in advance

-Z-

There still are quite a few of us Go5200 users around. Your driver is quite out of date and you can do much better. Of the older drivers, the best driver ever made for the Go5200 was 67.66, which you can still find among our archived drivers. You also need to replace the original inf with our modified one.

Interestingly, nvidia recently produced some new drivers, based on an entirely different architecture, which work quite well with the Go5200. I'm currently using 169.47 with excellent results and recommend that you give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always drop back to 67.66. As wiith 67.66, you'll need to replace the original inf with our modified one.

Avoid the 17x series of drivers - they're much slower with the Go5200.

I agree with the user above me. Although you may not experience a formidable performance increase, it is worth your while to upgrade to a 1xx.xx series driver. The main reason for this is that nvidia constantly releases bug updates and fixes which can at times be very beneficial. Also you may now find that a lot of games that would never work in the past now do, albeit slowly. Regards.

PS. Dont forget the modded inf, as nvidia considers any card over 2 months old dead and discontinues support. Without the people at laptopvideo2go we would be suffering a remarkable ill fate.

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

wanted to thank both of you for your quick response and an actual view on the drivers.

There still are quite a few of us Go5200 users around. Your driver is quite out of date and you can do much better. Of the older drivers, the best driver ever made for the Go5200 was 67.66, which you can still find among our archived drivers. You also need to replace the original inf with our modified one.

Interestingly, nvidia recently produced some new drivers, based on an entirely different architecture, which work quite well with the Go5200. I'm currently using 169.47 with excellent results and recommend that you give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always drop back to 67.66. As wiith 67.66, you'll need to replace the original inf with our modified one.

Avoid the 17x series of drivers - they're much slower with the Go5200.

I tried both of them ... further testing isn't possible atm due to laptop not running. NOT caused by this drivers though.

The Stickys give a detailed description so it was easy to do and i also added the modded inf.

As for newer games / applications i use the 169.47 now which sees to work comfortable, just not with certain older apps e.g. quake3 (artifacts) so every now and then i switch to the old one which is very reliable imo.

I agree with the user above me. Although you may not experience a formidable performance increase, it is worth your while to upgrade to a 1xx.xx series driver. The main reason for this is that nvidia constantly releases bug updates and fixes which can at times be very beneficial. Also you may now find that a lot of games that would never work in the past now do, albeit slowly. Regards.

PS. Dont forget the modded inf, as nvidia considers any card over 2 months old dead and discontinues support. Without the people at laptopvideo2go we would be suffering a remarkable ill fate.

yeah i don't like this way of thinking concerning nvidia, i appreciate the work the LV2G people put into this great forum.

Keep Going :-)

• 5 years later...

Hey guys, i'm with Dell D800 right now, its a 5200go beast. Thx for info about drivers, will try the best driver ever made for the Go5200 was 67.66.

Some weird question, is 5200go better then intel GMA 950? On same CPU.

Andrew55 do you still own this wonderfull laptop with 5200?

Just two benchmarks found, go5200 is 40 - 100% "faster" on them.

My go5700 benchmarks stopped on 82.10; with modified inf it was one of the best drivers.

Just two benchmarks found, go5200 is 40 - 100% "faster" on them.

You mean on 67.66?

Found this thread http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/6601-v6760-v6765-v6766-xp-32bit-nv-alienware-asus-eurocom/ downloaded  Driver v67.66 | LV2Go Information file and Pieter's mobile INF modified for v67.66 | modded especially for Laptops, but also has Desktop card support

Am i right?

No, it's just general rough estimate.

Facepalm, but its NV 4200Go, not 5200Go... Which one will be good for 4200?)

Facepalm, but its NV 4200Go, not 5200Go... Which one will be good for 4200?)

I think it would be the same as the 5200Go. Good luck with it.

4200 go is about 50% faster than go5200. 2 vs. 1 shaders. But just DX8.1 vs. DX9.

Oh, thx for this info... That's why i don't have beautiful water in HL2 and glass distortion in Doom 3...