LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Can someone help?

Guest damstachizz

Guest damstachizz

Hey guys,

ok, so the story goes i own an Asus G1S;

long story short, whenever my 8600M hits 100c, it underclocks, obviously a safety feature, this happens with new Drivers;

Asus ship my laptop with 101.08 drivers, which do NOT underclock when the GPU reaches temperature..yet when i update, it underclocks..

to the point, can someone mod some of the never drivers to disable this underclocking feature? if Asus ship my laptop with this feature disabled, obviously it doesn't need to be underclocked when it reaches these temps,

so i know it will not void my 2 year warranty..

so, can someone help me out with some never drivers with the underclocking disabled?

I want the performance of the never drivers without having my GPU underclock itself every 5 minutes while playing Crysis online (reducing a good 35FPS to an incredible 6 :) )

Any help GREATLY appreciated,,

'chizz

Okay, let me bring you up to speed here. You NEVER want to be at 100C. 90C is warm as it is. Anyway, trust me you do not want to stop that safety feature. If it werent for that your GPU would probably be shot. Try using the 177.41 drivers if you haven't already done so and tell me the results.

'100C?? I almost hit the ceiling when I saw that.'

Guest damstachizz
Okay, let me bring you up to speed here. You NEVER want to be at 100C. 90C is warm as it is. Anyway, trust me you do not want to stop that safety feature. If it werent for that your GPU would probably be shot. Try using the 177.41 drivers if you haven't already done so and tell me the results.

'100C?? I almost hit the ceiling when I saw that.'

Well Asus don't have that Feature built in, so i'm guessing it doesn't need it.

besides, it's got a 2 year replacement warranty, and if they say anything, i will direct them to screenshots of my laptop running standard Asus drivers hitting 100c without any slowdown in games.

i combat this 100c anyway, by undoing the CPU/GPU cover underneath, and running it in a 16c room..so i'm guessing the sensor is pissing itself (especially with my friends temp meter reading 70C from the heatsink, which is thermal pasted onto the CPU AND GPU.)

I will try the 177.41's anyway, so thanks -

But if anyone can mod some 169 drivers or something, i would be VERY happy.

[note - i will not hold anyone but myself responsible if i do kill my GPU, so don't worry about me blaming you; i'm not that slack.]

cheers,

'chizz.

Guest damstachizz

sorry, forgot to mention:

Running Vista 32bit, 8600M GT 256mb, 1gb ram (one stick got dead :) ), 1650x1050, T7500 2.2ghz..etc in an Asus G1S ''gaming laptop'' :\

Just tell me your results when you're done updating as I am curious :) . If it doesn't help I seriously recommend letting Asus check that out before it's too late and then you have to go and have Asus replace your shot GPU (which is an even greater headache in itself).

Edited by Andrew55

I know :) . Just tell me your results when you're done updating. If it doesn't help I seriously recommend letting Asus check that out before it's too late and then you have to go and have Asus replace your shot GPU (which is an even greater headache in itself).

I've already sent this thing back 3 times with 3 faulty hard drives, so i think if there was something seriously wrong, they would have found it by now.

Also, they were the ones who retro fitted Thermal Past to the CPU and GPU, so i think they knew something about their hardware was too hot to handle :)

[Edit - cannot find 177's?]

Edited by damstachizz

Agreed. Well, if everything in your computer is going wrong then I suggest ringing up Asus and ask them WTF is really going on. I mean, it seems that almost everything in your system is/ has malfunctioned. I suggest you get them on the phone lines as quick as possible.

Here's the link:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=19270

Agreed. Well, if everything in your computer is going wrong then I suggest ringing up Asus and ask them WTF is really going on. I mean, it seems that almost everything in your system is/ has malfunctioned. I suggest you get them on the phone lines as quick as possible.

Here's the link:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=19270

I've already asked them the last time it went in, and they said those temps are normal :)

personally, i don't think 100c is normal, but if they insist, ok then.

so can anyone disable this through an INF, or do i have to do the registry hack? (i hate changing things in the registry..last time i did this, my laptop thought my HDD was 120gb :\ )

There's really nothing I can suggest that will counter this safety mechanism. I can probably be altered via the inf, I just don't know how. However, I can tell you 100C can not be normal or even close to normal. In fact, 100C is pushing insanity!

There's really nothing I can suggest that will counter this safety mechanism. I can probably be altered via the inf, I just don't know how. However, I can tell you 100C can not be normal or even close to normal. In fact, 100C is pushing insanity!

100C isn't that bad..

you should've seen my mates E8400 when he tried 5ghz on air :)

Oh, it might not help i run 523/1092/758..

I'll do the Registry hack and see what FPS i can get without Rivatuner giving me the warnings that i'm running over 110c,

If i do go over 110c, i think i'll upgrade the built in fan (running a ###### weak 5v, to a nice 12v one :) )

LOL. Anyway, that's not that big of an overclock so I guess it should still run fine. How is it running at default clock settings?

How is it running at default clock settings?

More or less the same OC'd (within 2 degrees), but with the OC i'm getting 3 more FPS on Assassins Creed, so it's worth it IMO.

I seriously think the sensor is stuffed or something, because when it was underclocking, rivatuner would report an INSTANT drop in temp by about 10c, then as soon as it clocked back up, it would go smack on straight to the temp it was before it underclocked.

[one of the main reasons i want to disable it..aparently, the underclocking was doing NOTHING, while reducing my Game enjoyment to ''I KEEEL YOU! *hits keyboard*'' levels.]

Good point , but the fact remains that we don't know for sure and therefore I can't really make sense of it. As for disabling the sensors and so on, we will have to wait till tomorrow morning till someone else (someone who actually lives like a human being and wakes in the day and sleeps at night unlike people like me who do basically the opposite :) ) can procure a more definitive answer. In other words, I'm officially out of suggestions.

Edited by Andrew55

Isn't this a case of powermizer kicking in to downclock the card? Try this out... http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=19134

That coupled with the safety 'overheating' mechanism that automatically shuts down the computer when standard operating temps are exceeded (I should say 100C warrants that.)

yeah powerizer will stop downclocking but, there is also a safety mech. that basically stops the card when it hits a certain peak temp. (this can't be disabled, and this is what is happening with his card.)

What you need, is someone with an identical system, running the same game, and see what their scores are. as i also believe that its way too hot.

demand a new system as you have had way to many issues with it. Sometimes production lines roll out a lemon :)

Yes, but with the old drivers, this never happened.... So how can it be the safety of running at 100 kicks in on the new drivers, but not the old?

Isn't this a case of powermizer kicking in to downclock the card? Try this out... http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=19134

Yep, i did that a few posts ago,

Tested it with NFS:PS & Assassins Creed, overclocked like a ###### (609/1263/912) and it didn't slow down, nor did i get any stuff ups with the display driver (forget the name when you get retarded pixels and crap..?)

after checking the rivatuner output, it was hitting 106c max, then fluxing between 102-106.

i've undeclocked it to my standard clocks (above) and will give it another run, but basically, i'm running 174.93 drivers with the powermizer gone, and it's not underclocking itself when it gets too hot, which is EXACTLY what i wanted.

thanks guys, and will post up results of standard clocks soon :)

[EDIT]

Ok, ran AOE 3 (full res, max settings, 8xQ forced AA) with the standard clocks, and the GPU hit 97c as a max.

Will run Assassins Creed and report back.

Good news, after running a few games, my GPU isn't going over 98c..

thanks guys,

95c average is good enough for me :)

Edited by damstachizz

didnt read that part.. also didnt see the overclocking part..

Overclocking a card, especially when its getting that hot is basically telling you you are pushing it too far. The card will pretty much fry itself... then, overclocking or not, it will always run too hot. Take the back casing off and leave it off for gaming?!

Basically i'd recocmend only overclock a little.. 10% max!

I think an average of 95 is still too hot..

Edited by wook

Yes, but with the old drivers, this never happened.... So how can it be the safety of running at 100 kicks in on the new drivers, but not the old?

It's no wonder, my old go5700 had as default behaviour to downclock/shutdown at 135 (!) with original drivers. Probably they got lots of burned go5700s, as very soon the newer drivers did set the temp to 125 - but actually the downclock kicked in in real life between 90 and 95. And the card was finally probably burned...

lol my laptop overheated once while playing warrock XD, its got almost identical graphics to counter strike source and im using an 8400m gs lol

Guest jOHN

oh dear...is something wrong with you?the gpu reaches 100 celcius and you DON'T(??) want it to underclock?this is madness.you will kill your gpu and blame asus later! :) and please -forget- a modded inf that would not allow underclocking.because of that limitation you still have an alive gpu.man,take the G1 apart,CLEAN the vents and anything you see dust on,IF you know how to do it.(not that it is difficult).otherwise send it to an official repair shop.THAT SHOULD BE IT.oh and about the guy that proposed to overclock only 10%...nevermind...overclock it as far as your system is stable.but really,clean the laptop.dust is blocking the vents.and for the record,maximum acceptable temps for overclock in a laptop are 80- 85 (not so good) degrees celcius.after cleaning your gpu should be around 75 degrees fully overclocked and under load.good luck,and take care of your laptop so it will take care of you!

oh dear...is something wrong with you?the gpu reaches 100 celcius and you DON'T(??) want it to underclock?this is madness.you will kill your gpu and blame asus later! :) and please -forget- a modded inf that would not allow underclocking.because of that limitation you still have an alive gpu.man,take the G1 apart,CLEAN the vents and anything you see dust on,IF you know how to do it.(not that it is difficult).otherwise send it to an official repair shop.THAT SHOULD BE IT.oh and about the guy that proposed to overclock only 10%...nevermind...overclock it as far as your system is stable.but really,clean the laptop.dust is blocking the vents.and for the record,maximum acceptable temps for overclock in a laptop are 80- 85 (not so good) degrees celcius.after cleaning your gpu should be around 75 degrees fully overclocked and under load.good luck,and take care of your laptop so it will take care of you!

well my laptop hit 80c sometimes should i be worried about that, i play crysis everyday and hits 80c eveytime i play crysis

It's 4 months old, and i can SEE the heatsink when the back is off.

there is NO dust, and the drivers it comes with do not make is underclock, so i figure why should the newer ones?

for all Asus know, people are running these things with the standard drivers at temps of over 100c, yet it doesn't seem to bother them, so why should it bother me?

and of COURSE i DON'T want it to underclock, because it ALWAYS hits 100c INSTANTLY when i start up anything DirectX, so it's either a b**** of a card, or a faulty sensor, especially if you read back a few pages and note my friends RC temp meter is getting 70c off the heatsink.

My guess is the sensor is dead.

besides, i rarely run high overclocks for anything but extreme games like Crysis, Assassins Creed..etc, for normal games like AOE 3, Oblivion..etc, i run 500/1000/725.

It's 4 months old, and i can SEE the heatsink when the back is off.

there is NO dust, and the drivers it comes with do not make is underclock, so i figure why should the newer ones?

for all Asus know, people are running these things with the standard drivers at temps of over 100c, yet it doesn't seem to bother them, so why should it bother me?

and of COURSE i DON'T want it to underclock, because it ALWAYS hits 100c INSTANTLY when i start up anything DirectX, so it's either a b**** of a card, or a faulty sensor, especially if you read back a few pages and note my friends RC temp meter is getting 70c off the heatsink.

My guess is the sensor is dead.

besides, i rarely run high overclocks for anything but extreme games like Crysis, Assassins Creed..etc, for normal games like AOE 3, Oblivion..etc, i run 500/1000/725.

you dl the newest drivers? like 177.41?