• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Marley

• coolcop06

• Emo

• zog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure then. All of the other Vostro 1500s I have seen running the driver have worked fine in this way.

Guest torreti
The Studio series currently isn't supported. It is based off of a newer chipset which the modded drivers do not support (even with modding.) Also, there is no INI available for those chips on the XP platform, so at the current point it is not possible to have sound with XP on your laptop. Sorry...

I found a site with instructions on how to migrate a Studio 1535 to XP: http://wickmanstudios.com/content/view/17/29/

He has a driver package for the IDT audio. The only issue I have with it is a lack of mic boost, which is fixed in the latest Vista drivers.

Link in the first post isn't working. Very interested in trying this.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems to work fine now.

EDIT 2: When I install these, they seem to work except that the Control Panel applet is named **IDS_CPL_NAME with a comment **IDS_CPL_INFOSTRING, and when I try to launch it I get an error that says:

stacgui

IDT Audio driver is inaccessible.

Please make sure it is installed an enabled.

If I manually launch idtsg.cpl from the Vista subfolder of the driver package, I get an options panel that works.

For reference, I'm using WinXP Pro SP3 on a Dell XPS M1730 laptop with a Sigmatel/IDT STAC9228 integrated chipset (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_102801F7&REV_1002).

Edit 3: Possible newer version from Intel here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...al〈=eng (direct link: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16741/eng/...IDTGUI_v124.exe )

Edit 4 (wow, this thread isn't very active): The INI files in the Intel/IDT driver are very different from the ones in the Sigmatel-branded drivers. It's obvious that the problems people are having with control panel /system tray applets and such not working out of the box is because they've changed to a new config GUI that uses a different set/format of data from the INI files.

I tried poring over the INIs to see if I could port the one for my chipset to the Intel/IDT format, but I couldn't figure out what was going on. The worst part (besides there being no 9228 INI because that's a laptop chipset and the Intel drivers are for desktop boards) is that there are multiple flavors of INI for each chipset, each with subtle and incomprehensible differences. I found a PDF that summarizes the features of IDT/Sigmatel audio codecs that was somewhat helpful but didn't really get me any further: http://www.idt.com/products/getdoc.cfm?docID=18462225 - it suggests that the 9228 is basically the 9227 but with a digital microphone input (used for the built-in mic in my laptop that I use when I'm too lazy to connect a headset).

I think the best bet may be to wait for someone like Dell to release updated laptop drivers with the new INI format and then go from there because it will be easier to extrapolate to other laptop chipsets. The downside is that I'm afraid noone will bother to release any such drivers for WinXP 32-bit :)

Edited by HunterZ0

thx for looking into it, hunterZ0

when they wouldn't install for me i tried the crass and unknowledgeable method of just bunging my h/w id in the intel driver inf

although that allowed it to complete the installation without the usual "_exiterror:error=device object not present..." it just returned a 'device not functioning' type error at the end and disabled the audio chip

i really would like to be able to install updates for my audio chip. the chip is more than adequate but i like to keep updated for the obvious reason that point releases are built with purpose. what is it with the chronic oem behaviour of sigmatel and their partners?!

Edited by d3v

thx for looking into it, hunterZ0

when they wouldn't install for me i tried the crass and unknowledgeable method of just bunging my h/w id in the intel driver inf

although that allowed it to complete the installation without the usual "_exiterror:error=device object not present..." it just returned a 'device not functioning' type error at the end and disabled the audio chip

Damn, I was thinking of trying that too, possibly with one of the 9227 INIs since it should be similar to my 9228 but without the digital mic.

i really would like to be able to install updates for my audio chip. the chip is more than adequate but i like to keep updated for the obvious reason that point releases are built with purpose.

Indeed. It annoys me when companies put forth the effort to improve something but not the effort to let me benefit from those improvements :)

what is it with the chronic oem behaviour of sigmatel and their partners?!

Not sure, especially since competitors like Realtek distributes mostly-unified reference drivers. I think they're just afraid of dealing with end-users instead of other companies, or maybe their driver code is actually customized a little for each customer (Intel/Dell/HP/etc.) and they don't want to do the legwork to make a unified driver (I doubt this is true for Sigmatel/IDT from the looks of things though).

What's funny is that IDT says they're not offering end user drivers "at this time". Maybe we should start a write-in campaign or something so they know people are interested.

Edited by HunterZ0

it's annoying

i had a realtek onboard 7.1 in my old tower and, just about every couple of weeks, they had a point release on their site

then you have other oem hardware suppliers such as broadcom who offer pages like the following: http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_n...mine_driver.php it's the kind of thing we know to check for but it really doesn't come much more helpful than that from the source

if time permits, it looks like it'll be a case of having to extract different driver versions (old dell; michael's modded; new intel) and doing a contained directory/file compare and also a text compare on inf's and ini's, keeping any version identification references, yet swapping other references and files from working driver sets to end up with a hybrid containing new driver files and version references but the remainder of the structure of information and file includes should remain the same as a working set

a long shot, but it seems we have not a lot of choice

Edited by d3v

For all the Gateway users out there with this chip: By combining a modded inf with the "Gateway HD Audio" package found in this thread, I was able to fix the "code 10" error in XP x64!

Everything is working fine with the exception of the Sigmatel Tray and Control Panel interface.

For the record I have a Gateway m-6843 laptop.

Here is a link for the complete installer. Let me know if this works for you.

Download

FTP doesnt work. And I had my hopes up!

My Dell XPS M1730's built-in digital mic doesn't work in Win XP with Michael's modded drivers, so I've rolled back to the latest official Dell ones for now.

Guest infoproj

I've struggled for ages with my Vostro 1500 and XP. Had to dual boot with Vista just to hear any sound.

I ran your setup and... it just worked! Many thanks - you saved me so much hassle.

Now I'm going to cheerily blitz the Vista partition into oblivion and reclaim that lost space...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael-

Any possibility you could make a how-to for modding the drivers (Vista specifically) so you don't have to do it all?... I would do it myself if I had directions.

Daniel

If you tell me the exact error produced and the device and subsystem IDs of your sound card, I can fix the INF. Thanks for trying it out.

hi , i format my xp computer and install the xp again but i lost the sound device and i can't install the segmatel , the computer tell me that there is no object device ,

thanks for help

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with XP pro on it.

I'm desperately searching for a way to enable the stereomix on it, to no avail so far. I've encountered solutions for Inspirons drivers available on the Dell site), but I can't find anything for my Dimension.

I am very frustrated as I just discovered this after having my computer for 2 years now, while trying to record a skype conversation. My previous computer did this in one click!!! Seems it is a general deliberate disabled function on Dell Computers, and I'm sure there is a way to put it back, do you have a patch for this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

J.

Guest Alexander A. Zaytsev

Dear Michael,

I've got Sony SZ6 RVN notebook and very keen to use 64 os on that. I installed linux and it works fine, but I'd like to have xp64 as well. I've been able to configure everything except for SOUND. This really makes me crazy - I spent many hours googling, modding the inf file, trying different `similar` drivers and reading forums. Sound is still not working.

I'm quite experienced with IT but this task is a real obstacle for me.

Also I've found many internet references where people trying to enable that sound chip on 64

Sony officially doesn't support xp64 bit and hardware manufacturer delegated to take care about that to Sony.

This below works at my winxp32

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D1E00&REV_1002\4&18B62C36&0&0001

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

Driver Provider: SigmaTel

Driver Date: 10.05.2007

Driver Version: 5.10.5515.0

Driver Details:

system32\drivers\drmk.sys Microsoft 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

system32\drivers\ks.sys Microsoft 5.3.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

system32\drivers\portcls.sys Microsoft 5.1.2600.1364 (xpsp2.040109-1800)

system32\drivers\sthda.sys SigmaTel 5.10.5515.0 nd596 cp1

system32\drivers\stream.sys Microsoft 5.3.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

system32\ksproxy.ax Microsoft 5.3.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

system32\ksuser.dll Microsoft 5.3.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

system32\stacapi.dll SigmaTel 5.10.5515.0 nd596 cp1

system32\staco.dll SigmaTel 5.10.5515.0 nd596 cp1 built by: WinDDK

system32\wdmaud.drv Microsoft 5.3.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

Any comment will be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Modified by HP drivers for Windows XP.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...228〈=en

IDT Audio Driver for Microsoft Windows XP / Release Date: 2009-01-19 / Version: 5.10.6087.0 B ("1.0 B")

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42001-42500/sp42298.exe

DriverVer=06/19/2008,5.10.6087.0

Vista -- ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41001-41500/sp41479.exe (1.00 B )

Edited by zog

Guest booyahboy

Hi:

My Dell Dimension 9200 (Dell DXP061) is running XP Home + SP3.

The factory-installed SigmaTel audio driver is ancient - 5.10.0.4991, dated 3/20/2006 -- so old that the bass and treble options are disabled because the driver doesn't support it!

Could you please confirm if I can install your modded rev on my computer?

Thank you.

Are there any drivers for Sigmatel/IDT cards that support EAX? I ask because theres the Creative Audigy Advanced MB software which works on these cards, so wondered if there was ever a free driver for it. Positional audio in games would be sweet. I've got the Sigmatel 92XX HD card.

• 3 weeks later...

EAX is for reverb, not positional audio. DirectSound3D handles positional audio on WinXP, and OpenAL handles it on Vista.

I'm sure you've pretty much put these to rest now, but I figure it's worth posting anyway, the multi-channel support is somewhat broken when using on an m1330. The speaker mappings are all wrong, no matter how they're set up and no matter what input they are connected to. Switching to the Dell Sigmatel driver fixes this (although they are extremely barebones drivers, no DDl or ASIO for example).

Guest Tristam

OK, from what I understand, the only people that are VERY dissapointed are those with VEN_8384&DEV_7662 (such as me) or VEN_8384&DEV_7661 who are running Windows XP Professional x64 (again like me).

If you can do anything to modify the original INF to run on this platform will be very much appreciated. I got ALL of the above error messages as I was doing ALL possible combinations. :)

Seriously, this must be the million-dollar driver. It's nowhere on the Internet and you guys are closer in making it than anybody else. Otherwise people like me would have to switch to 32-bit XP or maybe...Vista. :)

Again thanx for all the work done here.

Patiently waiting for that driver.

Many thanx in advance. :P

• 2 weeks later...

hi there, i've recieved few days ago my new desktop Dell XPX 430, decided to downgrade to XP SP3, but at the end realised that couldn't find an audio driver for it. Inside the comp IDT is an integrated audio chip, i got a driver but it did not work anyway

Here\s the device code: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7674&SUBSYS_102802AE&REV_1002\4&27DB7B18&0&0001

can anyone help plz, i'm so tired now

:)

Guest BruceH

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if the latest version is on the first page of this thread? If not, please advise where I can find the latest download.

Also, does this work with a Dell D620?

Thank you!

Bruce

Guest BruceH

Another question:

Does the download on the first page contain the control application? It is ~ 13 mB, which seems much smaller than other driver downloads that include the control panel application.

Thanks,

Bruce