LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GS %65 Overclock! --- 4100 3dMark06 Points!

Equal1zer

Hi!

I installed windows xp to my acer 5920g tomorrow. I installed xp just for o/c :) And thats a screenshot of my oc. Rivatuner is not enough for me :P

GPU temp is 88 - 92 degrees while 3dmark06 tests running.

4103ht6.png

:) :P

Edited by Equal1zer

Hello!

That's really, really good score for the 8600m gs!! I've got F3SV with that gpu overclocked to 680/1140 but i'm getting no more than 3700pts :/ Maybe that's Vistas fault... What drivers do you have installed?

I have 169.04 drivers. I tried 700 mhz yesterday with atitool. But the computer is freeze for a second and and i shutdown my computer with power button. :) I'm gonna try 700 core mhz today when i came back from school. :) I think acer underclocked my gpu at factory.. Most of 8600m gs's default core clock 500 but mine is 450...

Edited by Equal1zer

Your drivers are quite old, I'm using 174.74, only because it's not causing problems with Splendid, any newer drivers and splendid profiles are resetting... Mine 8600 is clocked 500/800 by default. 700MHz on core is suicide for me, instant freeze :)

169.04 is only driver let me overlock.

edit: I tried 700 mhz core speed just a second ago. But my computer freezes at the 3dmark06 test. There is no stability. 695 is the limit :)

Edited by Equal1zer

Got myself a new LG P300 from Futureshop Canada : 13.3" laptop with a built-in dedicated 8600m GS videocard at 256MB GDDR3 (yep, GDDR3!).

Before O/Cing (500/700), usinig 169.04 drivers, I get 3313.

After O/Cing (700/885, dang nice clock), temperatures reach only 72 degrees Celsius (peak), granting me a score of 4387 (1024x768). Very stable, no crashes so far.

Unfortunately, it is the only most recent overclockable drivers I can use on my laptop. I can't seem to use more recent drivers, I think the video BIOS blocks it.

Edited by NemesisHunter

GPU temp is 88 - 92 degrees while 3dmark06 tests running <- Thats a bit high,

clock it down a tiny bit, so it stays below 90. And u still should get like 4000, which is like stock speed of a 8600GT. Good job!

Could someone explain how to do this as i have an 8600m GS operating on XP and am not 100% happy with the performance

Me, too.

I actually get 5227 Points in 3DMark 05 with 179.13 WinXP and a 2.2 Ghz T7500.

But I got a Problem overclocking my GFX-Card.

Everytime I adjust new Clock-Settings for 3D-Performance Mode and klick "Set clocks" (ATITool) or "Apply" (Riva Tuner) the Values jump back to 500/400 innemediately.

So, is my Card locked or something ? :)

Got a 8600M GS in a HP Pavilion DV 9691 (actually my machine got other specs but thats what the label says)

• 3 weeks later...

I got an LG P300, and I can't overclock my 8600m GS using any driver above 169.04.

Does anyone know any drivers that work on Bios-Locked GPUs aside from the every popular 169.04 drivers? 171.16 is mentioned to be overclockable on ALL SYSTEMS.

1) Anyone know why those particular drivers work on any rig?

2) How can we use recent drivers to overclock if our GPU Bios is unreadable, and implemented into the BIOS of the system, and the BIOS is unobtainable from the manufacturer's website (LG) unless we send the unit in for repair? And we don't want to touch the BIOS directly, for safety purposes?

I have been using all of the latest drivers since 169.04 and with none can I OC with.. Tonight I got fed up and finally went back to 169.04 and OC'd my card.

Have only notched the clocks up a bit but already score around 3300 (temp 82c) on 3DMark06, rather than the highest which I ever got to which was with the 178.XX, 2899 (temp 78c)

This post is very positive and I'll definitely be looking at OCing higher. Thanks for your results, Equal1zer :)

Okay, the reason you are not able to overclock may lie with what overclocking software you are using. Ntune is famous for this problem. Riva tuner should give your desired results.

I use RivaTuner for all my overclocking needs, but my laptop specifically refuses to keep the settings locked (the OC settings don't stick). I tried reading my GPU VBIOS, and the read fails, implying that my graphics card may well be bios-locked and unable to overclock (with the exception of 169.04, I don't know why a software driver can bypass hardware locks >.>).

Guest mik keogh
I use RivaTuner for all my overclocking needs, but my laptop specifically refuses to keep the settings locked (the OC settings don't stick). I tried reading my GPU VBIOS, and the read fails, implying that my graphics card may well be bios-locked and unable to overclock (with the exception of 169.04, I don't know why a software driver can bypass hardware locks >.>).

u could also oc with the original driver 138, other than that and 169.04 , ive tested many and none work with all the oc'ing software, tempted to flah my v bios and hunt down a modded one, let u know how i get on

LG laptops are blocked somehow and the P300 bios isnt even given out as .rom file :/ only as .exe which cant be extracted... have tried.. its sooo annoying that 169.04 is the only driver that works with OC, because after you tried it... non-OC just isnt fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Your drivers are quite old, I'm using 174.74, only because it's not causing problems with Splendid, any newer drivers and splendid profiles are resetting... Mine 8600 is clocked 500/800 by default. 700MHz on core is suicide for me, instant freeze :)

Splendid system was released by ASUS right?

recommend you to get 179.14, which was released by ASUS, supports OC, and has a good ranking, too. ( like an upgraded version of 178.14)

179.14 disabled powermizer as a default, turn it back on in case you need it running at a lower temps by powermizer switcher.

Edited by silviana

• 4 weeks later...
Guest acegruver
I got an LG P300, and I can't overclock my 8600m GS using any driver above 169.04.

Does anyone know any drivers that work on Bios-Locked GPUs aside from the every popular 169.04 drivers? 171.16 is mentioned to be overclockable on ALL SYSTEMS.

1) Anyone know why those particular drivers work on any rig?

2) How can we use recent drivers to overclock if our GPU Bios is unreadable, and implemented into the BIOS of the system, and the BIOS is unobtainable from the manufacturer's website (LG) unless we send the unit in for repair? And we don't want to touch the BIOS directly, for safety purposes?

now there is no way to overclock for 8600m gs.

Only you can flash vga bios with nvflash and by using nbitor you can change core/shader.

you got high results, why? because your resolution is 1024x768 and probably nvidia 3d is set to performance, run 3dmark06 on default settings

Yep, looks like those with BIOS-locked systems, especially LG models, cannot overclock on a low-driver level without being provided with an authentic LG Bios .rom file from LG themselves. Anyone tried asking for a driver copy of their file? If we can get it, it solves the problem immediately.

Edited by NemesisHunter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest acegruver

I've 8600m gs ddr2. 590/1180/490 with dox 180.84, ı got 3200 point 3d mark 2006, 1280x800.

I can play cod 5 with 25-60 fps on high.

Nfs undercover with minimum 25 fps on high.

acegruver - that's great news about nfs undercover. :) What temperatures do you get when playing it? I haven't played that yet, and was a bit concerned that this wouldn't handle it very well.

By the way (for all the Acer 5920G owners out there - with 8600GS), what is the stock clocks for the 8600GS? I've been using RivaTuner but I'm wondering what they were originally at, is "performance 3D" in RivaTuner linked to the "optimal graphics" setting in Acer's ePower Management? Or is 450/900/400 beyond what Acer set?

Edited by nViable