LaptopVideo2Go Forums

256mb 8600m GT on Dell m1530 getting really low fps in CS:Source

Guest prophit

I have the same performance issues in CSS, with no apparent problems in any other games...benchmarks turned out normal...FPS start out fine then they randomly dropped down to like 20 at times. GPU-Z shows my temps as pretty constant between 60-70. I have no idea what to do. I might send my computer into Dell hoping they'll replace the mobo just in case...

I remember when i used to run CSS on my laptop: a Sony FS315M, with a Geforce Go 6400 GPU. (On modded .INF ForceWare 9x.xx)

Needless to say, it wasn't a fan of the Source engine much, everything low gave 30-40 fps for half an hour, where it just tumbled down to 15-20 fps - unplayable. Temporarily fixed it by overclocking the card to get 40 fps on Medium, and cooling it with a sealed food bag, full of crushed ice.

A more reliable (and less watery solution) was buying this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-F5L001er-La...d/dp/B000W0D15O

Restored GPU to factory settings, this badboy kept the laptop going for hours on CSS at 50-60 fps on a Low/Medium combo.

So for those of you having trouble with heat related gaming issues - I'd recommend a laptop cooler (not necessarily a Belkin one :) )

Hopefully someone will find this helpful, and will only put ice underneath their laptop if the bag is 100% sealed. :)

Markus