LaptopVideo2Go Forums

OC DELL XPS M1730

Thurin

Greetings to all you folks,

I'd like to start off by saying that although a lot of people do not seem to like the M1730 much for it's size and weight, but to me it's just right + it's a race monster.

Specs:

CPU:

Core2Duo X9000 2.8 Ghz OC @ 3.2 Ghz

GPU in SLi:

NVidia GeForce 8800m GTX - 512 MB core 500 / memory 800 / shaders 1250 @ core 674 / memory 1078 / shaders 1684

NVidia GeForce 8800m GTX - 512 MB core 500 / memory 800 / shaders 1250 @ core 674 / memory 1078 / shaders 1684

Driver version:

178.08 with a modded INF from laptopvideo2go

Memory:

4 GB 667Mhz memory non OC

HDD:

160 GB 7200rpm

160 GB 7200rpm

in Raid 0 for a grand total of 320 GB

Windows Vista x64 Ultimate - SP1

------------------------------

Non OC scores:

Vantage:

1st run:8619

2nd run:8672

3rd run:8625

3dMark06:

1st run:12695

2nd run:12827

3rd run:12615

OC scores:

Vantage:

3dMark06:

The 3dMark06 score hasn't increased too much as it is way more CPU oriented than Vantage is, which means that since my processor didn't suddenly and magically speed up by a lot the score only rises by ~600 pts. (in both test instances I had my processor clocked at 3.2Ghz to show a pure image of what the score difference is like with just adding a GPU overclock)

For those of you who do not know where to get the software or how to overclock your NVidia based system:

Download:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.03.html

And install all three of the tools included in the package.

The rest will be self explanatory... should you have questions feel free to ask.

Edited by Thurin

same as for me for your results, overclocking the video card significently increased my mark in Vantage almost doubled, for 3dmark06 only added just less then a 1000 points.

Is no one suprised by that overclock?

I mean that is a HUGE overclock... How can it be stable???

I have the same laptop and config and im running 178.13 and anything over 600/1500/900 is unstable... Not to mention temperature... What would be your temps at that kind of overclock? Are you running it in a freezer?

I dont mean to be rude or anything but ive heard of a few people overclocking in that range and i cant comprehend it :)

It just doesnt make sense for it to be able to handle it...

Is no one suprised by that overclock?

I mean that is a HUGE overclock... How can it be stable???

I have the same laptop and config and im running 178.13 and anything over 600/1500/900 is unstable... Not to mention temperature... What would be your temps at that kind of overclock? Are you running it in a freezer?

I dont mean to be rude or anything but ive heard of a few people overclocking in that range and i cant comprehend it :)

It just doesnt make sense for it to be able to handle it...

Quite simple:

Zalman ZM-NC 2000 Laptop Cooler and a trick:

If you do not mind a few extra decibels... you clock your processor to 3.2 Ghz (Provided you have a Core2Duo eXtreme processor like I do) which will make your system fans run at max.

You will then see that your system temp under load, un-overclocked will drop to ~50 degrees which leaves room for some fun with the clocks.

I actually clocked my system down to 600 / 1000 / 1600 to keep the temp under load at ~75 C which used to be the normal load temp before the overclocking all began.

Hope it helps :)

I dont have a problem with the cpu overclock as thats essentially designed for that, im just amazed at the GPU overclock. For me 600/1500/900 works fine and gives a nice boost, however anything higher and applications begin to crash... And yet you manage to almost double that...

I dont have a problem with the cpu overclock as thats essentially designed for that, im just amazed at the GPU overclock. For me 600/1500/900 works fine and gives a nice boost, however anything higher and applications begin to crash... And yet you manage to almost double that...

Like I said the trick is a two part trick...

1 Overclocking the CPU kicks the system fans into full 100% gear. (cooling your system to a comfortable 55ish degrees C)

2 Getting the Zalman ZM-NC2000 laptop cooler kicks off another 5-10 degrees C and keeps the airflow going

PRESTO ! :)

Edited by Thurin

• 2 months later...

I have previously tried overclocking with multiply programs with no success. Rivatuner only allows me to underclock. I am using Dox modified drivers 180.84.1

I am looking at Bios.

I have the same notebook as you guys but just wont overclock :)

HELP PLEASE

• 4 weeks later...

You can only do so by using this tool Nvidia : :)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=22970

Should you have questions feel free to ask.

Good luck :)

Edited by radixxx

And preferably do it in BIOS, here two links to how to do this !

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22286

and

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22971

Good luck, for me it works great :)