LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrade Acer 6920g 9500M GS To 9600M GT

sondredh

TheAlien can you please upload your vBIOS?? I really need it, fast! Im gonna have to return my card in less than 3 days!!

Ok, so i checked with Nibitor and it says my card is a g94 Board (Reading from the ES bios), but isn't the 9600m gt a g96??

And i've tried to flash a g96 acer vBIOS so thats why it didn't work, i just got a black screen.

The card SHOULD be a G96 ! But it's an fvcked up engeneering sample. Read the imprint on the core itself. It's the only way to find out for sure what GPU it has.

I have the same problem. Nibitor, GPU-Z say it's an G96 and nv-flash says it's and G94.

What do you mean you cant clock the card? Cant you clock it even with flashing??

With my vbios:

I cannot clock the shader. GPU-Z doesn't even show a clock number. Nvidia System Tools cannot clock the card. I was able to clock the GPU and MEM with coolbits2 and the old fashioned "Nvidia Control Pad". But the shader remains or seems to be off. I also cannot play videos with the mediaplayer.

With your vbios:

GPU-Z shows me a clock for the shader but I also cannot clock GPU, MEM or SHADER. Neighter with the Nvidia System Tools nor with nibitor. When I set different clocks with Nibitor is somehow doesn't affect the card. The card always has the clocks: GPU 500Mhz, MEM 700Mhz, SHADER 1100Mhz. No Matter what I change in Nibitor. I also get only about 3000 3DMarks.

And running with these clocks wouldnt even let me start photoshop CS4 anymore coz it utilizes the gpu so it shutted down...

AGAIN: YOU HAVE A TEMP PROBLEM ! It takes only a slit second if you don't have the GPU ON the cooler. And if you haven't drilled a hole or sth. on your cooler it is physically impossible for the GPU to have good contract with the cooler. There's a voltage regulator sticking out to far. (about 1,5mm, but it's enougth to make the card crash).

I have something i didn't try yet: changing everything inside the ES bios to match the Acer one, Timings, Id, bootup clocks etc..

Try it. I have tried about 50 different vbios's and a gazillion different settings... Just make sure you don't fry your card with to much voltage and make sure you can blindly flash it back.

...i saw that Extra mode didn't have any voltages assigned to...

I saw that too. Really strange...

...Can you monitor the temps?...

I believe this card has no tempsensor. But who cares ? I don't need it. Might just be the vbios not offering that ability...

What drivers are you using?

I have used them all :) It reallt doesn't matter. ATM I am using the newest 178.23 from the notebook section from the nvidia website with the Nvidia System Tools.

And one more thing: i still have 4 days left to return the card. Should i return it, or should i keep it if this is possible to fix?

I don't know what to say. I should have returned my card when I still could have. But what you do is up to you. I think this problem is fixable with the right vbios but I also think it is almost impossible to find one for this exotic card. Exspecially with that bulls*** G94/G96 Chip/Bios combination...

Here's my original vbios. I posted it somewhere here already before. I don't think it will do you any good...

ORGINAL.zip

The card SHOULD be a G96 ! But it's an fvcked up engeneering sample. Read the imprint on the core itself. It's the only way to find out for sure what GPU it has.

I have the same problem. Nibitor, GPU-Z say it's an G96 and nv-flash says it's and G94.

I took a better picture of the core:

9600mGT_G96_CORE.jpg

It is a G96. Does your card have the same imprint on the core - the ES A1 stuff?

Do you remember your ebay sellers link/did you buy from same store as i did?

AGAIN: YOU HAVE A TEMP PROBLEM ! It takes only a slit second if you don't have the GPU ON the cooler. And if you haven't drilled a hole or sth. on your cooler it is physically impossible for the GPU to have good contract with the cooler. There's a voltage regulator sticking out to far. (about 1,5mm, but it's enougth to make the card crash).

Are you sure it's also like that on an Acer system/cooler?

I think my GPU is placed right on the cooler, do you mean the thing underneath the red circle i marked has to get in contact with the core??

Gpu_on_cooler.jpg

And where should i drill a hole (if i need to)?

Where is the voltage regulator? is it this one(I have no idea, just thought because its touching the edge of the heatsink and my 9500m gs doesn't have one at that place):

9600mgt_Voltage_regulator.jpg

I tried your vBIOS, it didn't help, just getting the same thing as you(0 mhz in gpu-z). But my problem is i have to get it able to run games first.

If i cant get it to work by the end of 2morrow i'm returning the card to the seller and buying one without the ES crap.

+ The other cards i've seen on ebay and other places have their memory chips placed vertically (horizontally on the top) + they have something behind that big grey thing.

Edited by sondredh

Sorry for the confusion. I thought you have FSC Amilo xi1546 for a moment. No, the voltage regulator is not even under the cooler on your cooler setup. So that shouldn't be the problem. But your heatpad doesn't look like it had contact with anything. I still think you just might have a temperature problem. But I could be wrong.

I don't remember what my card says. And I don't want to take it out at the moment because I don't have any more heatpads...

The card should run 3D applications with no problems with my vbios... (at least it does on my card).

I don't remember where i got it from. But it was from an a**hole from ebay. It wasn't 'oostore'. He was from france. At least oostore tells you on the auction that it is an engineering sample. My seller didn't. I am almost sure though that the card came from the oostore initially though...

Good luck ! If you don't return it, at least we are together with this problem.

Version 4.8 of Nibitor is commming out on 01/30/09. It is the first version that officially supports 9600 mobile chips... Maybe it'll help...

PS: I would be grad if you don't return it. Then, I wouldn't be alone with this problem anymore :) :)

Edited by TheAlien

Oh boy... REMOVE THE HEATPAD ON THE CORE! Just use regular thermal paste. The heatpads are used because the cure is higher than the memory chips and without it the memory chips would never be in contact with the heatsink. If you use it on the heatsink, it prevents it from being cooled properly.

Here's my NV 9600M GT 512MB DDR3 Engineering shiat:

img5637nf6.jpg

w800.png

Ok, Now i've really screwed it up!

Im typing this on my n95,coz i cant get the screen on my 6920g to turn on with either my 9500m gs or 9600m gt!

I can see the acer bootscreen + everything else(it seems the screen has no brightness, so i have to point my desk lamp at the screen)until the login screen. Right before or at the logon screen the screen turns completely black and i cant see anything. I can hear sounds but the screen is completely blank, same in safemode.

I also cannot turn my 6920g on without having the power adapter connected, nothing happens.

I have no idea how this happened, it worked "perfectly" until i rebooted to try a different cooling solution for the card. When i had put everything back together, it wouldnt start, i connected

the AC, got the screen problem.

Then i tried the same way i had it before, still the same problem. I tried my 9500m gs, still the same. What is wrong?? It's got nothing to do with drivers or vBIOS, i've not changed any of those lately. I dont remember scrathing anything. The weirdest thing is that i cant start it without AC.

Oh,and kayldera, i've already tried that, it didnt help. I think the problem is that on the backside of the card some of the stuff there is getting "squeezed"

coz the heatsink doesnt fit properly.

EDIT: when i log in using fingerprint i first hear 2 fast beeps from the BIOS. Then, about 15s later 2 slower beeps and then it beeps about 10 times very fast.

Edited by sondredh

Same on external monitor?

Ofcourse, why didn't i think of that :)

Yes, i get display on my HDTV, so that means it's my 6920g's screen thats not working properly.

Any ideas of how to fix this? (Use my picture i uploaded above to say where i should check for faults)

-mechanical problem in wiring/connectors

-broken inverter

-broken backlight "tube"

I have the same problem in my old lappy but didn't bother to fix it as it works with the external monitor.

-mechanical problem in wiring/connectors

-broken inverter

-broken backlight "tube"

I have the same problem in my old lappy but didn't bother to fix it as it works with the external monitor.

But do you know how to fix it? Where should i check inside to see if it's broken?

And why can i only start it with the AC adapter plugged in?

Edited by sondredh

I don't know the 6920g. But it it is usually on the bottom in the back of the display.

Uh, don't take this personally, but you sometimes seem a little unexperienced with computers.

No, that's the exit of your cooling system. I don't know your notebook, so I cannot tell you. You might wanna google or go on an acer forum to find that out.

Here is a general description of inverters: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006...isplay-diagram/. Maybe it helps you a little.