LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Area 51-m5550-Please, need all the help I can get!

Guest 12055

Guest 12055

Hey,

I used to build all of my computers myself, but I got out of the tech game when I went to college and needed a laptop (at the time, building them yourself was too expensive). Now I'm in graduate school and the video card on my Area 51-m5550 just went up, and the culprit seems to be heat damage, despite my having a Targus Chill Mat, dusting the fan every three weeks, and turning the thermostat down when I am gaming. Here's what I've got in my system:

2.0ghz Dual core Pentium processor

Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 256mb (dead)

2GB ram

100 GB 7200rpm seagate

Windows Vista 32bit.

Here's what I need all of you to help me with:

1. First, my computer's monitor appears scrambled when I turn it on, almost like an old CRT would look if the connector had come lose. It looks this way until it gets to the Windows start screen, and then promptly goes black. In safe mode, I can get to Windows to boot fully (I assume it's booting in normal mode and I just can't see it), but the screen is still scrambles- the image flashes and artifacts swirl like some high particle count area effect spell. The thing that bothers me is that most computers have the onboard graphics power to launch themselves in 8-bit safe mode. Does the interference in safe mode mean my motherboard is ruined, and any attempt to replace the video card will be futile?

2. I have seen some posts that suggest that the 8600GS 512MB and 8600GT 512MB which are supposed to work with the m5550, do not in fact work at all, even after reverse-flashing the bios to 2.06. Is that true?

3. The x1800 seems to work, but there were some reports that it makes the system run way, way too hot. Is that true?

4. Last, and thank you so much for reading this far, does reliable software to defeat the m5550?s automatic thermostat-linked fan control exist- is there a way that I can set it so that the fan all the time when I?m gaming? I had an old 1.4ghz AMD T-Bird back in the day, and the thing sounded like an SR-71, so I don?t care about the noise. I suspect that the desire to balance acoustics and temperature control led the m5550?s fan system to be ineffective- hence the dozens of horror stories about it online. The reason why I?m not chomping at the bit to go back to the Go 7600 is that these three cards look better, and cost much, much less. However, if the Go 7600 is the only thing that works reliably, I will definitely get it.

Thank you,

-Ross

Guest And...

I've been through the threds on here. Here's what I seem to be seeing:

8600 GS works

8600 GT does not work

x1800 is too hot.

Does that seem right? Also, back to the room to check out whether I have the m5550 or the 5550-R

-Ross

If it is not mxm then the card cannot be replaced. However, if you were to have it under warranty you can still send it back to then for a replacement or repair however possible.

The M5550- R3 is MXM for sure. It has shown incompatibility probs with 8600M GT dunno which Bios version,but I haven't heard about problems upgrading with ATI Mobility 3650, some people put in 7900 GS, maybe the 9500M GS could work, too. I got the 9500M GS running in a "normal" Pentium M based M5500, aka Uniwill 259EN1 or EN3.

Actually there is an ACPI script for Notebook Hardware Control to force the fan working at full speed. The M5500-R3 ist the same as some Fujitsu Siemens Amilo book.

Edited by quipster

9500m GS is identical to 8600m GT. I was told not too long ago that ATi have better compatibilities, maybe look into the HD3650 little more.

Yeah I know, though the 9500M GS performs approx. 10% better. The compatible FuSi should be Amilo Pi 1556.

Dunno exactly. I use NHC with a modified Amilo ACPI file to force full fan spped on my Cebop Hel, although I wouldn't need to.

But for gaming I like my temps extra low and don't care about noise, since I wear headphones.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I own an alienware m5550-r3i which is like the amilo pi1556 or xi1546 don't know for sure.

My config:

Core2Duo t7200 "Merom" 2,0Ghz 4Mb FSB:667Mhz

2GB RAM

100GB HD 7200RPM

:) Ati Radeon x1900m ("mxm-upgrade.com") with FSC Bios

i sold my old Nvidia 7600GO wich gave me no Prob. as the current x1900m

1. Yes i'am on the standard Power supply and NO it doesn't run hot even in summer.

2. Yes i've got the high performance heat pad from mxm-upgrade.com and a ZN-NC1000 Notebook cooler

3. Never tried Crysis on the road as i don't wan't to kill my battery

4. Yes my internal FAN is capable of the x1900m even without the cooling pad and it get's hot but not very hot

If i where you:

Go with the ATI HD 3650 from mxm upgrade, if you know how to flash i think you can buy it cheaper off ebay but it's more dangerous.

If you are short on money take a x1400 or 7200go off ebay just to get it working again and stop gaming (just an advice i haven done that ;-P)

Don't take any x1800 as the generated heat is higher!

your laptop is mxm-3 or at least there's enough space inside for large mxm-3 cards ( yes it's backwards compatible to mxm-2 and mxm-1)

Just answer these questions honestly:

1. got an Dremel, or grinding tool? (heat sink mod?)

2. gaming? and what? 3d shooter?

3. money limit?

4. ATI or Nvidia Fanboy?

As for the Bios prob. the 8600M GT work but without the 2.07 Bios thus NO 4GB RAM (2GB Max. on 2.06)

That limitations comes from the chipset intel 945PM wich is only capable of 2GB Max. and the 4GB is an alienware mod.

During boot the memory mapping fails with 8600M GT that's all but i don't know how to circumvent that.

This guide is like we have to do it: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....=23223&st=0

[EDIT]

The 7600Go had a temp sensor and shut down very early your sure that it is defective?

Some times reseating helps and cleaning the vent's.

The 9600M GT has some starting issues with continuous beeps and no 3D clocks (stays at 2D buy with vbios mod it works).

Any HD2600 (XT or not) won't work, interface differences.

Some more people here on my Laptop Model to share experiences?

Edited by Meins321

Guest 12055

It sounds like we own the exact same computer (other than the graphics card). Here are my answers:

Yes, but that kind of scares me. Can you really eyeball something like that?

FPS or RPG.

3. money limit?

I'm not thrilled about spending more than $200- especially if the upgraded card has <512MB of graphics memory. However, if this new HD Radeon is really everything people say it is, it might be worth it.

4. ATI or Nvidia Fanboy?

I've had good experiences with both, but I probobly would lean a bit to ATI after this.

Also, I need to ask, with the ATI HD card, would the computer be completely inoperable as a portable system? The system needs to have portability at least insofar as it can be seperated from a chillmat. If the card can't run without a chill mat, even on low power settings, I'm not interested.

Thanks,

-Ross

I have the same laptop as you do (m5500i-r3, pretty much the same specs too)

I replaced my Go 7600 with an 8600M GS.

It was very easy to do, there are many instructions on MXM-Upgrades website as well if you need them.

I can say that with BIOS 2.06W, this card works perfectly fine, it is not that much better than the Go 7600, but there is definitely a slight increase in performance.

I would recommend that you find the highest quality heat pads possible, this card can run 10C hotter than the Go 7600. By the way, does anybody know ehre I can get some high quality heat pads???

My current temps are as follows: 67C at idle, and can go as HOT AS 95C!!!!!! Currently, I only have a pad on the GPU Die and it is old; no pads on my RAM heatsinks, which I know is a mistake

This is why I recommend finding good pads :)

GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. Get it from ebay, from the buyer MAC RECYCLING, his are pre-flashed with the proper BIOS for our laptops :) :P ANd they are nice and cheap!!!!

Guest Guest

yes the heatpad is an problem that's why i said try to get it from mxm-upgrade.com because the very expensive and good heatpad is included.

And an 8600GS is a lower end card but doesn't it run too hot without any heatpad on the ram?

i've dremeld my HS from my m5550 and it gave me no prob.

go with hd3650 as it's cheap and cold running (compared to other mxm-cards)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Protecting a;

I ended up getting the 8600M GT. It works great- 100% across the board. I can E-mail detailed pictorial instructions of my upgrade to anyone who is interested.

-Ross

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

This weekend I've successfully installed and am running happily an 8600GT 512MB with bios 2.06 in an Area-51 m5550 (sticker below sais m5500-R3). I've experimented with Radeon Mobile 3650 before, but that one overheated.

hey @ last guest

can you get in contact with me? PM me here that would be neat.

that means for the others you all stick to 2GB RAM?

I would like to use 3GB but don't know if it boot up, anyone tried that with 3GB and an AW 2.06 BIOS as it's statet "4GB failure in Bios" doesn't mean 3GB is included in that Boot Up prob.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

have someone tried ,if this notebook (or amilo xi1546 os pi 1536/56) works with with 3gb ram(wit 2.07w or 1.19 w bios) and an nvidia / ati v.cadr with 512MB video memory?

thanks

• 2 months later...

So what bios I need to use 2x2GB memory and 8600m GT in same time?

that bios doesn't exist, if your video card has 512 then you're stuck with 2gb of system memory...

my thread here

has all the info

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I own an alienware m5550-r3i which is like the amilo pi1556 or xi1546 don't know for sure.

My config:

Core2Duo t7200 "Merom" 2,0Ghz 4Mb FSB:667Mhz

2GB RAM

100GB HD 7200RPM

:) Ati Radeon x1900m ("mxm-upgrade.com") with FSC Bios

i sold my old Nvidia 7600GO wich gave me no Prob. as the current x1900m

1. Yes i'am on the standard Power supply and NO it doesn't run hot even in summer.

2. Yes i've got the high performance heat pad from mxm-upgrade.com and a ZN-NC1000 Notebook cooler

3. Never tried Crysis on the road as i don't wan't to kill my battery

4. Yes my internal FAN is capable of the x1900m even without the cooling pad and it get's hot but not very hot

If i where you:

Go with the ATI HD 3650 from mxm upgrade, if you know how to flash i think you can buy it cheaper off ebay but it's more dangerous.

If you are short on money take a x1400 or 7200go off ebay just to get it working again and stop gaming (just an advice i haven done that ;-P)

Don't take any x1800 as the generated heat is higher!

your laptop is mxm-3 or at least there's enough space inside for large mxm-3 cards ( yes it's backwards compatible to mxm-2 and mxm-1)

Just answer these questions honestly:

3. money limit?

4. ATI or Nvidia Fanboy?

As for the Bios prob. the 8600M GT work but without the 2.07 Bios thus NO 4GB RAM (2GB Max. on 2.06)

That limitations comes from the chipset intel 945PM wich is only capable of 2GB Max. and the 4GB is an alienware mod.

During boot the memory mapping fails with 8600M GT that's all but i don't know how to circumvent that.

This guide is like we have to do it: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....=23223&st=0

[EDIT]

The 7600Go had a temp sensor and shut down very early your sure that it is defective?

Some times reseating helps and cleaning the vent's.

The 9600M GT has some starting issues with continuous beeps and no 3D clocks (stays at 2D buy with vbios mod it works).

Any HD2600 (XT or not) won't work, interface differences.

Some more people here on my Laptop Model to share experiences?

So you are saying that the mxm slots are the same? But sizes difference from those cards, so MXMIII will also work in AMILO pI 1536 / pI 1556 / Alienware M5550/m5790?

No that isnt exactly true, i having also installed 4GB Kingston Hyperx memory and iam having an FJS Amilo M1536 with Alienware M5550 FW 1.19 bios. The bios is saying that i having 3,325GB installed. Windows 7 64-bit does also saying iam using 3,325GB. So no 64-bit OS can help to see all 4GB of memmory. This because the Intel 945PM has adresses limitations, so you won`t be able to use all of the 4GB mem with 945PM mobile chipset.

So then you need an other motherboard with Intel P965.. otherwise no MAX 4GB with all of these biosses..

And about the graphic card, i will not recommend to using high powered GPU boards, because those notebooks has only a single fan, thats why they are running very hot. If you are using higher powered gpu board, your notebook will get overheating, or the gpu having no long life..

Personly i recommend buy for these notebooks like: 7600GT, 8600GS, 9500GS, HD3650 or for best performance an HD4650..

Edited by Robin4

• 1 year later...
Guest Daniel

So you are saying that the mxm slots are the same? But sizes difference from those cards, so MXMIII will also work in AMILO pI 1536 / pI 1556 / Alienware M5550/m5790?

No that isnt exactly true, i having also installed 4GB Kingston Hyperx memory and iam having an FJS Amilo M1536 with Alienware M5550 FW 1.19 bios. The bios is saying that i having 3,325GB installed. Windows 7 64-bit does also saying iam using 3,325GB. So no 64-bit OS can help to see all 4GB of memmory. This because the Intel 945PM has adresses limitations, so you won`t be able to use all of the 4GB mem with 945PM mobile chipset.

So then you need an other motherboard with Intel P965.. otherwise no MAX 4GB with all of these biosses..

And about the graphic card, i will not recommend to using high powered GPU boards, because those notebooks has only a single fan, thats why they are running very hot. If you are using higher powered gpu board, your notebook will get overheating, or the gpu having no long life..

Personly i recommend buy for these notebooks like: 7600GT, 8600GS, 9500GS, HD3650 or for best performance an HD4650..

Hello there

My problem is quite the same... I have an Alienware Area 51 M5550i R3 with a Intel core 2 duo CPU, 2 GB of ram and 100 hdd space. At first i had a nvidia 7600 Go which it died due to heat i think... Then i had an 8600M GT which worked perfectly fine without touching any bios versions but unfortunately this one is broken now as well. I have cooling problems i know i'm always running with a fan under the laptop. Anyways NOW TO MY QUESTION : IS a Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT compatible??? I think the card is type MXM 3 which means it's big but i have enough space and the PCI bus interface seems ok as well. Should i worry about anything??? Please replay guys . Thank you so so so mutch. BBye

Hello there

My problem is quite the same... I have an Alienware Area 51 M5550i R3 with a Intel core 2 duo CPU, 2 GB of ram and 100 hdd space. At first i had a nvidia 7600 Go which it died due to heat i think... Then i had an 8600M GT which worked perfectly fine without touching any bios versions but unfortunately this one is broken now as well. I have cooling problems i know i'm always running with a fan under the laptop. Anyways NOW TO MY QUESTION : IS a Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT compatible??? I think the card is type MXM 3 which means it's big but i have enough space and the PCI bus interface seems ok as well. Should i worry about anything??? Please replay guys . Thank you so so so mutch. BBye

Yes, the 9600M GT will work! It isn't MXM 3, its 2.1 Type II i think... I got the same Laptop as yours (an Amilo PI1536), not the "same" but identical in construction... And the 9600M GT works fine in my Lappy! The only thing is you don't have the "powermizer tabs" - so the card can only switch from 2d to thrtl-mode and there will be some error at booting... but there are solutions for this problems, just look at topics "ERROR: MXM Structure not found or invalid..." and "9600m GT on AMILO Pi1556"

good luck :)