LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell M60 and windows 7

perry59

Ok, so I wont ask "whats the best driver" :)

I just want to find any driver that does a decent job in windows 7 (vista driver?)

This is for a NV quadro fx go 700. I'm currently using a hacked driver which is ok

for the most part, but many of my video files play horribly, standard vga will play them

ok though. After installing this driver, my computer also thinks it has 4 monitors attached!

Any (reasonable) suggestions would be much appreciated!

Yeah, I saw that driver during my search and had really high hopes, alas, my card is not in

the supported list :)

Guest namelessn

Man, I have the same exact computer as yours. Dell M60 with Go 700 graphic card. All things were doing great in windows 7 except for the graphics driver, seems like nvidia already discontinue support for those 5xxx series card now.

The latest driver that works for windows 7 is 98.xx series (WDDM 1.0) and 176.xx series (XDDM), I believed. Trying out all the vista drivers version from 100.xx onwards, no luck. You may try and see if they work for you, and of course, you need to mod your driver before you installed them. It's bad nvidia discontinuing vista driver support for these cards as they are directx 9c compatible, enough to play aero glass and games.

Yeah, guess I'm outta luck for video driver.

Tried a bunch & some hacks with minimal luck.

I'll try the one you mentioned.

Cracked! You people give up too easy. The Quadro FX Go 700 is a 5000-class chip, so you just need a 5-series driver. On nVidia's download page, pick GeForce, then 5 FX Series, then either Vista or Win7, and they give you ForceWare 96.85. Then swing by nVision's 96.85 disussion for the modified INF. Unzip, replace, and install. Sorted!

Strangely, Microsoft's Win7 compatibility tester claims that not only is the Go 700 compatible, it works with Aero. It does indeed work with Aero, but not with Microsoft's or nVidia's driver; you need the hack.

Speaking of Aero, it looks great. The frame rate's a little lumpy with Aero's own effects, but everything else (like video) runs nice'n'smooth. Or as smooth as could be expected from this chip .. full-screen Hulu.com is as jerky as it was under XP. But the Win7 sample video played perfectly.

If you want to try other drivers, I believe you need to look for .. err, actually you just need to search for "FX Go 700". It's right there in the INF file, but for some reason I couldn't find it with Google. (nVision's search was closed to me til I registered just now.) If you want to try drivers without explicit support for the Go 700, you might try looking for Quadro FX Go 1000, Quadro FX Go 1100, or GeForce 5-series support, and adding the Go 700 codes yourself.

Good luck, and post your results.

• 2 months later...

Cracked! You people give up too easy. The Quadro FX Go 700 is a 5000-class chip, so you just need a 5-series driver. On nVidia's download page, pick GeForce, then 5 FX Series, then either Vista or Win7, and they give you ForceWare 96.85. Then swing by nVision's 96.85 disussion for the modified INF. Unzip, replace, and install. Sorted!

Strangely, Microsoft's Win7 compatibility tester claims that not only is the Go 700 compatible, it works with Aero. It does indeed work with Aero, but not with Microsoft's or nVidia's driver; you need the hack.

Speaking of Aero, it looks great. The frame rate's a little lumpy with Aero's own effects, but everything else (like video) runs nice'n'smooth. Or as smooth as could be expected from this chip .. full-screen Hulu.com is as jerky as it was under XP. But the Win7 sample video played perfectly.

If you want to try other drivers, I believe you need to look for .. err, actually you just need to search for "FX Go 700". It's right there in the INF file, but for some reason I couldn't find it with Google. (nVision's search was closed to me til I registered just now.) If you want to try drivers without explicit support for the Go 700, you might try looking for Quadro FX Go 1000, Quadro FX Go 1100, or GeForce 5-series support, and adding the Go 700 codes yourself.

Good luck, and post your results.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a M60 that my dad passed down to me and I also upgraded to windows 7. I have downloaded the drivers that wrecked_em had suggested but I am not sure how to do replace the old one with the new ones. can anyone help?