LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Win 98se driver for medion md41300 fx go5350

Guest Henri

Guest Henri

I am looking for a driver. Win 98 se geforce fx 5350 go.

For XP I have no problems but in win 98 i cant find a driver.

Please Help. :)

Best Regard's,

Henri

drivers for 98 here: http://station-drivers.com/page/nvidia%20forceware.htm

Now you only need an INF for 98. Teraphy made a couple some months ago, but for different driver releases. If he has time, he probably could mod one for you. Maybe a donation ( http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/pages/donate.htm ) helps...

Guest Henri

:) I only need a basic driver for my win 98 system its in use for racing bikes.

The problem is that the software i use only works on win98.

I need a basic nvidia driver with a good inf.

Please Help.

Henri

Is there a specific language you need?

What is your resolution?

And you're running a 53XX card correct? (5350 stated above, just confirming again)

Are you in a hurry to get them? Possible to wait a week?

An odd question but nice to know for a reason... are you on broadband?

-

To keep in mind, the 9X line is probably not as stable since laptop manufacturers no longer support it despite the fact that NVIDIA still makes the drivers for it.

Guest Henri

Is there a specific language you need? No If it is Possible Dutch

What is your resolution? 1024-768

And you're running a 53XX card correct? (5350 stated above, just confirming again) Correct 5350

Are you in a hurry to get them? No hurry.

Possible to wait a week? ok

An odd question but nice to know for a reason... are you on broadband ?

I have ADSL.

Best Regards,

Henri

Thanks for the responses to my questions, Henri. If you check the news you'll see why I asked you to wait :) 61.76 will be out for 98. We could start with that driver version unless you are looking for a specific one.

Guest disentient

this is kinda related to this post.

Ive been tring all day to set up Win98 as my gaming partition (i use linux for everything else).

But i got stumped with the video driver install (and windows not detecting my cdrom despite loading all motherboard drivers and everything. I have to run my cdrom with msdos like driver loading :s

Anyway, after trying numerous nvidia installs to no avail ("your pci id for detected device was not found in nvagp.inf" or something like this), i finally found the "omega drivers".

I managed to install these, despite the fact that its not for my card (I have a GeForce4 4200go (laptop chip)) but i just picked the ti4200 since they are the closest i could get i guess.

My problem is, the resolution supported goes up to 1024x768, but i have a widescreen laptop, and so would really love to get it in 1280x800.

Does anyone (aimed at Teraphy, since you seem to be the guru of infs :) ) know how to edit the resolution that i can attain? Is this within the inf file?

If not, is there any other package of win98 drivers that cover the 4200go chip?

Ill be forever indebted for any help since trying to get win98 working today has given me more than my weeks worth of headaches / screaming / reboots.

Thanks,

mat

Even though I'm not Teraphy, I will take a shot at this.

There should be a setting in the INF that controls resolutions,

according to Pieters page it is this:

Screen resolutions   
HKR,, NV_Modes, %REG_MULTI_SZ%    The numbers after this are the Standard Resolutions 
HKR,, NV_Modes, %REG_SZ_APPEND%   The numbers after this are for model specific resolutions supported (try your own)

There is also this setting,

[nv_ControlPanelSettings]    Value     Comment 
NvCplCustomResConfig           0       Enables Custom Resolution page (not enabled with NoPages)

You should try your own resolution but be warned, a wrong setting could screw your screen up or something. You should post your INF so somebody can mod it with that res.

Guest disentient

thanks for the reply bill.

But you have sufficiently scared me enough not to try it. I think im pretty much out of the warranty by putting linux on it, but if worse comes to worse, i can always recover back to windows. If i screw the screen, im compltely screwed.

ill post the inf if i can get windows 98 working with my cdrom. In a fit of rage at 2 in the morning, i just deleted win98 due to it not detecting my cdrom and programs not wanting to install thru the mscdex / oakcdrom driver.

Thanks again,

mat

LOL it shouldn't do anything bad to it, maybe the screen won't show the resolution but that is all that should happen if you set a strange one, just post the inf and somebody here can mod it.

I don't know much about win 98 driver INFs but other people do and if you post it we could easily add your custom resolution to it I believe.

Its nothing for you to be scared about.

Quick reply, I'm in a hurry. I have not heard of a driver that has actually done anything bad to the LCD. However, I haven't looked at the 98 INFs in a while but I'd say that Bill's recommondation is only for 2K/XP files so it wouldn't work. The 98 files are a bit tougher to get to work. As I got frustrated once :) but I know a lot more now.

May i ask what Laptop you own?

Did you try 98 or 98SE? I would try the latter.

Or give Windows ME a try, if you own it. ME has the best HardWare detection of all pre 2K OSes and is also game compatible (except some old MSDOS games).

If your CD ROm still is unrecognized you should download the latest VIA or INTEL Chipset driver...

You can try ME but be warned it stinks for everything else, lol.

Based from my experience, ME is the worst Microsoft OS I have ever seen.

Anyway it does have good detection so you might want to try it.

My avatar is better than the poster above me's one is.

It's been a while but this should be good. There have been some minor resolution changes since I last looked at the 9x line but both resolutions (listed above) should be recognized.

With the 9X line, I recommend figuring out how to backup the registry. At least this was my method. If the drivers didn't install properly or created chaos I just restored the registry through DOS.

This file is just for the 4200Go and 5300 or 5350 (same ID number so I just called it 5350 for you Henri).

Good luck.

I forgot to ask if you guys own Toshibas. A minor change might be needed to get it to work.

NVAML.INF

...I forgot to ask if you guys own Toshibas.  A minor change might be needed to get it to work.
Who is that question directed at?

Henri has a medion md41300, whatever that is.

Now disentient(mat) has not stated what brand or model his laptop is, if your reading this please tell us.

I think you can figure out what laptop I have, and the same gos for the other people that posted in this thread.

Dontknow has a Toshiba.

Anyway I'm off to test the latest official drivers.

Guest dontknow

Restore registry under 98/ME:

Boot to DOS (F8), then type

cd windows or/and cd system
scanreg /restore

Thank goodness these times are over with XP :)

Guest Henri
It's been a while but this should be good.  There have been some minor resolution changes since I last looked at the 9x line but both resolutions (listed above) should be recognized.

With the 9X line, I recommend figuring out how to backup the registry.  At least this was my method.  If the drivers didn't install properly or created chaos I just restored the registry through DOS.

This file is just for the 4200Go and 5300 or 5350 (same ID number so I just called it 5350 for you Henri).

Good luck.

I forgot to ask if you guys own Toshibas.  A minor change might be needed to get it to work.

:) Thanks for the file Teraphy.

I wil test it soon.

Best Regards,

Henri

Guest Guest

teraphy, your the man.

Thank you very much.

dontknow: im on an Inspiron 8600, centrino chipset. Im TRIED using win98SE, but i ran into the no cdrom detection thing since i figured that 98 was "too old" to recognize and know what to do with the intel centrino's dual ide chip.

Installing the latest intel infs for the mobo was the first thing i tried, along with 6 98 reinstalls with different driver configurations / manual inf installation / package inf installation / hitting the inf with a hammer onto my laptop.

I just got so frustrated, i wiped 98SE off. ME was my next logical choice, since its 98 under the hood so i thought it wud have decent game support. And thats ALL i want from the windows OS.

Do you think ME will be different enough to know that my card is a dual ide thing and not "(!)" it in device manager with the words "resource conflict". then i go into resource conflicts and it says, helpfully, "no resource conflicts". hhee. so frustrating.

Linux is actually easier to get along with / make it do what you want than windows i find.

Thanks for all the help, and thanks again for the driver teraphy. Will this driver work in ME if i manage to get me to detect my cdrom?

Thanks again,

mat

Guest disentient

the above guest one was from me as well. forgot to enter name.

Also, i think i answered my own question afa "is this inf for ME as well". I opened the inf, and lo and behold "98 / 98Se / ME" so thats all hunky dory.

Now, all i need is ME, patience, the expectance of failure and im all set :)

After using Windows XP I could never go back to any win 9x, I have nightmares thinking about going back to Windows 95 or Windows ME.

lol

I think I will keep my XP pro or swich to Linux.

Guest disentient

hehe bill.

i know what u mean. I used to adore xp, in terms of its benefits over its earlier brothers. I never tried ME, but i had a friend, who even after xp came out, insisted 98 was a good OS. I strongly disagreed then, and even more now.

Trying to get simple things working is a mission.

Now, all my love for xp has vanished, with my dabblings in linux. I truely think it is the best OS by far if u are willing to learn / interested.

Go with slackware if you want to dabble in linux. Hell, dual boot. Quicker than you know it, ull have axed your xp partition completely. The only thing that kept me dual booting was applications i _thought_ i needed. Once i took the plunge, i havent had the need for them.

Cept games. sniff sniff. Hence why im trying to dual boot a really arse OS JUST FOR GAMING (i mean who can actually use pre xp?)

Anyway, this is just for older games. Doom 3 is coming out on linux a little after pc version is shipped. I imagine it will be a d/l release only but hell, ill buy that.

Cheers for help, and im installing ME as i type this. Fingers crossed, it knows what to do with my cdrom.

Guest disentient

I hate windows.

ME has same problem as 98. I figured they wud, since they are the same under the hood.

MS helpful troubleshooting "if u cannot access cdrom after 98 / ME install, u have a dual ide controller. Do this ..... If it does not correct the issue, run the troubleshooter".

Obviously, it dont correct the issue. So i run troubleshooter and it says "if the conflict says no conflict, you cannot correct this issue".

Nice.

Good to know someone else can use the drivers i requested tho. but i still cant help but cry. I want to play Dungeon Keeper 1 / 2 so badly.

So let me get this strait?

You need Win 98/ME to run the game but you need XP to recognize the CD drive?

You can try a program to copy the disk onto your PC and load it as a virtual drive. You seem pretty smart so you should be able to figure it out yourself, I think if I told you all the details on how to copy it correctly I would probably brake some rules though lol. (the games CD has copy protection right?)

Edit: http://www.google.com/ is your friend.

Guest dontknow

Some Laptops need special manufacturer support files for full ahrdware recognicition. Thats maybe what is missing.

Toshiba for exapmle needs (on MS OS) the "Toshiba ACPI Common Modules" for full acpi Support and sometimes the "TBIOS Driver". I dontknow if this also applies to DELLs. I remember i have seen a general DELLsomething.sys in a driver package i downloaded.

Also Centrino Technology is newer than 98/se/me so it's impossible for these OS to recognize even the "easy"-to-recognize IDE Controller. A new Linux distribution (say 2004) will have no problems.

I have no solution to your prob lem :)

dontknow