LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Win 98se driver for medion md41300 fx go5350

Guest Henri

Guest disentient

Thanks Bill and dontknow for your suggestions.

dontknow: I agree with you. I think im just stumped as a matter of old vs new in the recognition of drivers. And the ANNOYINGNESS of "designed for windows XP" specifically means "we dont support anything else" meaning, ive tried looking at other people trying to install a "legacy" windows on an inspiron, and getting posts back from admins in dell that "Inspiron xxx is designed for Windows XP. We will not provide drivers for other OS" which is kinda annoying cause we all know they can. But theres no demand so oh well.

Bill. First a question about:

You need Win 98/ME to run the game but you need XP to recognize the CD drive?

I dont need xp at all :) I was saying that any other version of windows WONT recognize my cdrom drive, not just a disk. The reason im not using windows xp (hehe, i cud see the question "why not just use xp" lurking) is because its not compatible, as far as software goes, with the older games im trying to run. I just know for a fact that when you get 98SE working, its great for games, in terms of compatibility and thats all i need.

On to your plan, which is extremely cunning and i like the sound of. My problem is how would I get the virtual drive loaded onto the computer? Would it matter what computer i create the drive on? e.g. I create the iso on my XP computer, then copy that iso to the 98 computer and load virtual drive software for that? Also (i will check myself, but it seems you know more of virtual drives than me) are virtual drives capable of running things pretty much as the actual drive? As in, as far as games go?

It all gets back to the annoyingness of my cd drive not appearing, period, in windows 9x onwards. I COULD get at the cdrom in 98 using dirty msdos mode cd access, but thats obviously out as far as winME goes with the "abandonment" of config.sys / autoexec.bat

All this for Dungeon Keeper series. Oh dear.

Once again, im greatly appreciative of everyones help / further suggestions, considering how far off topic this has gone :)

Cheers,

mat

Guest disentient

yep, am one step ahead.

Just trying to ISO dungeon keeper disc now.

This is what annoys me about copy protection, every once in a while, someone needs to copy their orignal for an actual legitimate reason, and cant.

Daemon-Tools is sweet.

Man last time I tried to reply to this it didnt go through, I have to type all over again.

Anyway it should run faster than an actual CD drive, unless your HD is really, really slow. Also you did install the whole game on the PC right?

If you do that all the game needs to do is check to see if the disk is inserted, it won't load much so it should run fast.

About using Daemon tools, if you have questions just ask, but if you have questions about how to copy a copy protected game well, if might be agains the rules to ask here, there is google and other ways to find out how, I'm not that knowlageable about what programs to use and how to copy certain types of games, ect, so don't bug me on AIM lol, I think Alcohol 120% can copy copy protected games though right?

Edit:

Daemon-Tools is sweet.
Yes, Daemon-Tools is sweet. lol

Guest disentient

hey again,

Ive got win98se up and running again, and the inf gives me my nice 1280 resolution.

But, of coarse, there are problems :)

Deamon tools does indeed rock the boat with the sneaky ness of pretending to be a cd drive, and ive had good results testing it out on my xp box. It runs flawless.

On w98 however, i mount my image and all is nice, then, i run setup (via "run" dialog because win98 doesnt like me navigating the virtual drive in explorer for some reason, just locks up) and get into the setup program (ie, the splash screen saying "install, read readme yadda yadda yadda") and click install. Then, i get a nice blank screen and an unresponsive box. The blankness will not go away.

I tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers completely, then using the s***ty 640x480 standard windows resolution (i couldnt get any more out of the def drivers in win98) and the setup program ran without problem.

Im wondering, is this a problem with the nvidia inf? I tried dropping resolution using nvidia drivers, and still same results. Could it also be directx 9.0b ? Ive read some people have trouble with directx 9.0b, so maybe i shud try just installing the X version i need as far as my games ask me for it.

Thanks for the help guys,

mat

PS. bill, clonecd is a great prog to backup / make iso to mount any cds. Havent tried alcohol 120, but i may give it a go since deamon tools doesnt like mounting the cue sheet created by clonecd, so i just load the ".img" file, which isnt really one of deamon tools file extensions, but it works anyway. Not a major prob tho.

I think I have heard of that, I just said alchahol 120% (speliing?) from the top of my head but I think it can copy just about anything if you know how, atleast as far as copy protected CDs are concered, if you want to copy DVDs I know of a very nice program to make ISOs with, but I won't tell it here, just google cd copying apps and there should be quite a few programs.

Guest Guest

cheers bill but im good. Linux has plenty completely open dvd "backup" programs that are all legal and work like a charm.

Now im just after getting things working with my nvidia inf :s

Trying to figure out if its the inf or directx thats the culprit here.

ta,

mat