LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce 5650 overheating probs

Guest Cate Archer

Guest Cate Archer

I'm having problems with my geforce5650 overheating and then clocking itself to about half its regular speed until the temp gets below 100 degrees celsius. It happens even when it is 15% underclocked. I have already performed the heatsink mod as shown on the bay-wolf page, and I replaced the thermal tape with arctic silver on my cpu to try to reduce internal heat overall. Even after these mods, the problem remains. Any advice?

System

Dell Inspiron 8600

PM 1.6

768 MB RAM

docking station

The docking station does appear to somewhat block the exhaust for the gpu, and the spot in front of the exhaust is very hot compred to the rest of the docking station. Perhaps that is the problem.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

im guessing ur heat sink is dirty i had this prob too, clean botht he heat sinks and it should be alright if it isnt that check ur fans in gangui they might be burned out in which case ud have to call dell

the niTz

Is there a BIOS Update available which controls your Fans in a more effecient way? You should look that up at the DELL Support website.

Guest Amoklebia

unfortunately i'm experiencing similar problems lately with a 5600go :(

my acer 1705 smi originally came with 44.01 and this by now still is acer's one and only offered driver-version :( with 61.77 and pieter's inf 30.25 i now get an increase in 3dmark03 (standard settings - no overclocking) from about 1400 to over 2500 :)

however, when running demanding 3D-games now, by time the notebook without "warning" SUDDENLY SHUTS DOWN (as if you PLUG OUT ELECTRICITY on a desktop)! fans are working fine, i guess. also, temp seems not to get higher than say 75 degrees...

any ideas? :) :P

have u open up ur notebook and gave it a good cleaning

lil a5 here and there works miracles for temps

i do it every month or before any big tornaments

A Pentium IV 3,06 HT (that's your CPU!) in a small laptop case (//edit :) )... (imagine the huge Coolers they use in Desktop cases on CPUs and the airflow provided there)

That's the disadvantage of Desktop CPUs build in Laptops: probably some Overheating protection integrated in your BIOS or internally in the CPU simply shuts off the whole system. You don't want some melted circuits on your motherboard cuz of 100C.

Edited by dontknow

Guest Amoklebia

dontknow: agree with you!

just some notes:

* as i wrote, temp seems not to get higher than 75 degrees

* acer 17XX is not a usual notebook :) it's a huge 17" thing, more a crazy all-in-one-desk/book-something, 378 ( B ) × 320 ( L ) × 55 ( H ) mm, weight more than 7 kg, with SEVERAL desktop components (hard disk, ram, keyboard...), thus, i thought, it could deal with the desktop-cpu, too :)

* so far on this board, i never red of people, experiencing with this same problem of sudden breakdowns

perhaps i should start playing a bit with the driver-settings of 61.77 (underclocking??), what do you think? ######, i just can't stand stepping back to the original driver! :( :P

not to get higher than 75 degrees
:) i overread that.

My suggestion is go to BIOS and adjust Overheating protection. Or nuy a Laptop Cooler.

acer 17XX is not a usual notebook....
Does it even fit on a desktop :) ?? It seems to be really huge.

btw,

I saw that there is an updated driver for Acer Aspire 1710. It's v53.51 here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=544' target="_blank"> and it supports some FX Go 5xxx GPUs

• 1 month later...

i have a i8600 with the same card.. how do you tell that it underclocks itself to half speed or so? i've seen mine go up to about 108 and.. it still goes. this is with no overclocking.

if u notice ur fps go down in the middle of the game it underclocked itself

It seems I was mistaken. the fps doesnt go down noticbly at all, maybe due to vsync. however the temperature monitor utility shows the gpu temp going up, then down then up then down, i guess it would also explain the somewhat regular and seemingly random flickers which would be when it changes clock speed..

I do admit those flickers are Quite annoying. very annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

is there any way to get rid of this underclocking at 100 thing? I remember it used to operate between 100 and 110 no problem, which is what it tended to stay at, around 105-108 degrees. Now it hits 100, flickers, slows a little, gets down to 85 a couple seconds later, flickers again, and over and over....

Intel's p4 chips are designed to simply shut off the system, thus avoiding heat damage. So this feature isn't a specific BIOS one. Your overheating problems seem to be a coupled one, coming from both the cpu and gpu. Since the inner quarters to a laptop is relatively small, the combination of heat is causing both problems. What I would recommend is adding some thermal compound such as Artic Silver 5 on the CPU and the GPU (like bay-wolf's site recommends just as you stated). Make sure that all surfaces are completely clean, with no fibers whatsoever. Also, make sure you only apply a thin layer - as thin as possible. The best way to apply the thermal compound would be using your finger as an applicator.

Hope this helps,

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, since it had operated happily and stably at 106 -107 degrees before, something has changed. would you think that this has to do with the video driver or video bios or the inf?

I have upgraded the bios/video/video bios in between so im not really sure what caused the change that now underclocks my gpu whenever it hits 100? (every 10 seconds or so..)

hmm thats sounds kind of strange, mods what do u think about this