LaptopVideo2Go Forums

display properties doesn't save fixed aspect ratio

Guest nvgf440

Guest nvgf440

//edit: problem solved, see FAQ

Ok, I have a widescreen monitor. And I installed the 66.93 drivers with the untweaked inf. Well I set it to have a centered output, so that it wouldnt stretch lower resolutions when I play games. Unfortunatly EVERYTIME I restart my comp,it goes back to display adapter scaling (stretched gameplay) and I have to change it again. I don't know what I can do. It never did this before, it always stayed at the setting I putit to, so I dunno whats goin on, if it has anything to do with driver cleaner or the GART driver, or a registry entry. I used driver cleaner to clean out the remnants of the old nVidia driver, but it never did this before. So I just don't know, but I really would like it fixed so any help yo guys can offer would be more then great. Thanks a lot!

Edited by dontknow

Guest nvgf440

Well just to let you guys know, it does not do this with the drivers that came with ym system. Only with the modded ones. I don't understand why its resetting from centered output to scaling every restart. But any help at all would be great. Thanks!

Try adding the following line to the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your inf:

HKR,, WidePanelBehavior, %REG_DWORD%, 0x31

...then reinstall and see if it helps,

Guest nvgf440

Nah, it didn't work, I've been doing some experimenting, it turns out that this does not happen with the drivers that include the older control panel. For some reason the control panel in the 65.** series and below doesnt do this. So if that helps anyone any, I really need to get this fixed, because the 65 and below drivers dont work with my comp. So any other suggestions would be more than wonderful. Thanks a lot again...

Same section as before, add the following line:

HKR,, UseDefaultFlatPanelModeOnReboot,%REG_DWORD%, 1

...and reinstall.

If that doesn't work, try setting the value to 0 and reinstall again.

Please let us know if one or the other helps. Thanks!

Guest dimitris

@all,

since 66.xx drivers when I choose the fixed aspect ratio option to play games on my 15,4'' laptop, after a reboot I have to do it all over again, which is quite annoying. With older drivers this option is saved. Does anyone know how to resolve this ?

thanks,

dimitris

Did you by chance disabled your "NVIDIA driver helper service" (in the XP services area)?

No, it helps remembering settings you edited like color and stuff.

I forgot who and where , but there was some other user who was reporting in the last days a problem with the aspect ratio. was it this guy nv440go?

We need to understand what's happening here, since more users are buying widescreen laptops.

Dimitris, try the following tweak and see if it helps:

In the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your inf, add the following line:

...and reinstall.

If that doesn't work, try setting the value to 0 and reinstall again.

Please let us know if one or the other helps. Thanks!

oh sorry Larry, i just merged them and you were posting :)

Not a problem, dontknow! I've just done a bit of research and think the switch in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section that controls this behavior is:

Although I'm not sure whether the value needs to be 1 or 0 to solve their problem. I'm hoping they can try it both ways and let us know the results.

You guys need to clean this thread out, I am seeing the same thing being posted by Larry 3 times. (dejavu, however it is spelled)

That would include deleting this post.

We should have the option of deleting our post if it was the last one posted in a thread, like other forums.

Just my 2 cents...

Bill

Guest nvgf440

Well that setting didn't seem to work for me. I want to experiment with mixing the control panels. Is there anyway to combine the old nview 3.0 control panel with the new drivers?? Maybe if its possible that could work?

Hmm... That's the switch that's supposed to control what you're both seeing.

nvgf440, there's no way to install the old 3.0 Control Panel. You can revert part of it by changing the NvCplEnableAppProfilePage line to 0, but I doubt it will solve your problem.

Try adding this line to the same section as the others:

HKR,, RmMaintainScaling, %REG_DWORD%, 1

... and reinstall again.

If that doesn't work, let me know what drivers do work and I'll try to figure out what the difference is.

Guest nvgf440

Well I can try that Nvcpl line, but as for the maintain scaling, Ive tried it to no avail. The drivers from version 41.** right up UNTIL the 66.** series dont have this problem. Once you hit 66.**, this all starts. The problem is that with my picky HP, the 66 and up drivers are the only ones that seem to work. So I'm kinda in a jam. So if you can find any difference that would be absolutly great. Thanks so much!

Guest nvgf440

Ok well heres some new information, I've noticed that this error starts right at 66.00, also, this error only seems to occur when it asks me if I want to keep the current display settings. I'll explain better: when I change to centered output in 65 and lower (working control panel), and hit apply, it just does it, no confirmation or anything, when I change to centered output in the 66 and above (malfunctioning control panel), it gives me that dialogue saying my display settings have changed, do I wanna keep em that way, and counts down from 15. Usually when I get that dialogue box for changing it to centered output that means that it is going to reset back to display adapter scaling on the restart. Hope this helps you out, cuz I have tried everything. Thanks a lot!

It's true that the 66.xx series made some farily significant changes over previous drivers. I couldn't even get the early ones in this series to run on my Inspiron 5150.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anything we can to at the inf end of things to solve this, since it looks like something that's wired into the driver iteself. The infs didn't change at all, and the switch that is supposed to control scaling doesn't seem to work in your case.

If this is a critical issue for you, I'd stay with 65.73, which is the best of the 65.xx series, and hope the behavior changes back to normal in future drivers.

HKR,, UseDefaultFlatPanelModesOnReboot,%REG_DWORD%, 0

Note the "s" that was missing from my version...

I'm not sure it's a typo. You'll find the line listed both ways depending on the driver version you're using. If Teraphy's version solves it, we'll know which one is correct.

:)

HKR,, UseDefaultFlatPanelModesOnReboot,%REG_DWORD%, 0 (default or absent value = 0)

HKR,, RMMaintainDevs,%REG_DWORD%, 1

Bah, typos and forgetting the second parts do suck :)

a friend of mine has a 6800 gt oc and is using this driver from the nv site and when he oc's the oc settings dont save i think its a bug with this driver could it be related to this aspect ratio bug?