LaptopVideo2Go Forums

UT2004 - a suggestion which driver to use

Bill

Alright, it is about time I got around to this, what with all of the exams I have had to take and having problems connecting to the internet, I have not had much time...

Any, for UT2004, pretty much any driver will run this game.

I will start off by listing drivers that are not recommended.

You should not bother with anything less than a 40 series driver, not only are the 40 series faster than the previous ones, there are also known issues with UT2003 with the 20 series drivers, which are probably also present with UT2004 as well.

Some other drivers I would not recommend are the 56.55 and some of the others right after it, I am not sure which ones they are, but some of those have some series performance issues with UT2004, you would know which ones they are if you ran them.

As far as recent drivers go (66.xx and 67.xx) all of the good working ones should run it just fine, although for me pretty much all of them have this one little graphics bug.

Now when it comes to a driver that I recommend, I would recommend the 66.81 drivers which can be found here.

6681whql.exe

The INF can be found here.

6681INF (nv4_disp.inf)

Not only does this driver have really high 3Dmark scores, but it runs UT2004 faster than any other driver I have ever tried.

There are also other INFs for the driver on the driver page if you want to use those, but Pieter's INF should work just fine.

Discussion for the driver can be found here:

Topic 6184: Discussion for 66.81

Links to the other INFs are there as well.

As of this time I would not recomend the 67.02 driver because this is what it looked like when I ran UT2004 with it on my laptop.

Screwy Torlan graphics bug picture (33KB jpeg) (that is Torlan)

Hope this information is usefull to people, If you have any comments please share them and if you are an I8200 user with a GF 440 G0 64MB (ID 0174) and the 67.02 driver displays the graphics correctly for you, please post about it.

Also, if anybody knows of a driver that is significantly faster at this game then the 66.81 driver I would be happy if you posted here about it, I will update the posts/thread as neccesary.

The show the game's FPS, go into the console by hitting the ~ key and typing: "stat FPS'

If you type it again it will turn it off, to make one of your keyboard buttons toggle it, type:

SET INPUT PAGEUP STAT FPS

Or whatever keyboard button you want in place of page up. (like F12)

Bill