LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Inspiron 8200 440 Go 64mb World of Warcraft

Guest Mini Viper

Guest Mini Viper

I just discovered this site as I reformatted my computer ready to use it for a summer of WoW. If anyone could tell me which drivers would allow me to play the game the best and fastest it would much appreciated! Also, since I haven't been to this site ever before, if you could tell me where to get the drivers and what to do with them it would be cool (if there's a walkthrough somewhere that would work too).

Thanks

No problem.

Go to the main site (LaptopVideo2Go.com) to download the drivers.

On the left is the driver, and on the right is the modified INF(s).

Download the driver, unzip it to a folder, delete all of the INFs in it, and stick in Pieter's mod INF.

I recommend Pieter's regular mod INF, not his performance one.

There is a guide right here on how to install, I recomend you install the drivers this way. http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/pages/instructions.htm

Also, here is a divx video that I made that shows how to install drivers through the device manger. http://laptopvideo2go.com/videos/driverinstall.avi

As for what drivers you should use, I don't really know. (never played WOW)

A good place to start would be the 71.89 drivers though. (they are official on nvidias site after all)

I wish I could tell you how well they run on my laptop, but I have not had the chance to test them yet, although they should run pretty good, like the 71.84 drivers did.

The only problem that I can see you having is with your screen, the resolution might not work right.

This page can generate an INF with the screen fix, it is the dell display setting, the page can also customize the driver for you a little bit.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer

Also, if you download one of Pieter's newer INFs, it should have the fix already in there. Search for this in his INF:

;Dell I8200's with a SXGA+ screen might need this EDID fix to enable proper screen sizing, just remove the ';' and reinstall driver
;HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 3A,C4,00,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,36,12,30,2A,78,20,51,1A,10,40,30,70,13,00,31
E4,10,00,00,18

and remove the ; like it says so it looks like this, then save the INF and install the driver with it.

;Dell I8200's with a SXGA+ screen might need this EDID fix to enable proper screen sizing, just remove the ';' and reinstall driver
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 3A,C4,00,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,36,12,30,2A,78,20,51,1A,10,40,30,70,13,00,31
E4,10,00,00,18

These sections can be found right below the [Mobile_Tweaks] section.

Also, if you want a custom driver I can put one on my server for you, all you would have to do is unzip and install it.

Also, while it probably does not have the fix for your screen, (which you might not even need, you have to test it to see if you need it) the driver and INF link in my sig link to the drivers that I am currently on, and they work pretty nicely, and should work just fine with WOW.

One last thing, since you are probably tired of Dell's drivers saying you have an 8200 vid card, you can change the name that it says on the bottom of the INF.

I also change my drivers to say this.

NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 64 MB (Dell 8200)

Pieter's INF has a suitable name in it already, as does every other INF but the Dell ones, but I like that one the best for my card and system.

You should be able to successfully install just about any driver you want on your machine, I have tried many different drivers from here and they all worked, although some worked better than others.

I hope I did not scare you with all of this info. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Bill

Guest Mini Viper

:) :) Thanks man. That was some great info. I followed it really well (luckily I know a few things about computers). Great explanations! Everything seems to be working fine. Don't know what the 1400x1050 problems is supposed to be, but so far I don't seem to have it. Do you by any chance have knowledge about overclocking, or is it something I shouldn't get into?

Thanks a lot, Mini Viper

Check out this thread, or just click this link to enable the overclocking page.

I have never overclocked anything on my laptop, although I have been thinking about it.

Check out this page next and download the fan software, while it might be really be neccessary to control the fans yourself, it would help to know what the temps are.

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

Then check out this thread, the guy there says what kind of speeds he could get, which seem pretty good.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=7133

Just remember if your fry your card it is your fault, we take no responsibility.

Bill

Guest Mini Viper

Hehe, already got the fan control program. My hard drive died on my laptop and realized it probably overheated. Happened to a bunch of people I know with i8200s. Upgraded to a 7k60. Thanks for the info, i'll look into the overclocking stuff, see how risky it is.

Thanks again. Mini Viper

Guest Mini Viper

I noticed that the nvidia driver you recommended, and I installed, allows overclocking. If I were to do it, can I just use this instead of the coolbits/registry changes?

Laters, Mini Viper

That registry change enables the overclocking page in the nvidia driver, if you installed a driver with Pieter's INF or something and the OC page is already there, then that registry value is already on your system, so that registry tweak I posted is not needed, you can go ahead and start overclocking! (Using the tweak will not change anything)