LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v75.03 Vista 32bit BETA1 | NV

®®®

Guest Costavaldes

Driver didnt work. As far as i understand, after installation v75.03 + mod inf, Vista use VGASTD driver, but in device manager video card is Geforce 440 Go.

P.S. Strange, i register early today, with full information about system, post message, and look for answer time to time, but now my registration dissapier with my post too. :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• autolycos

• Craig Corp

• ®®®

We're doing a bit of work on the forum, which might have caused the lost message.

It sounds like you might have installed with the wrong inf. Make sure you replace the original nv_LH.inf with Pieter's version, then use the "Have Disk" method to install, which you can find here.

Our existing black bar fix should work with Vista (Longhorn). Just paste the lines into Pieter's inf and reinstall.

Guest zerobubble

After installing the software with the inf the lddm effects work for me BUT I can only see the top-left quarter of my desktop. It takes up the whole screen and the icons are the size of a golf ball.

Resolution changes etc. do nothing to change this, but the aero works :)

This is all on a compaq nx9500 with a fx go 5700 (which doesnt change to fx go 5700 (lddm) btw)

I also have a desktop with a ati 9700 pro (HW hacked sapphire 9500 :P ) and everything works hunky-dory.

How you guys can get this working, i dont know why but the aero make it feel like a 'new' OS :(

and Thx for all your hardwork... great site. :)

A lot of people have commented on the huge icons. Clearly there are scaling problems with beta 1. Try changing the DPI resolution in the advanced display options, and try checking and/or unchecding the "Use XP style DPI scaling" box. Hopefully you can find a combination you can live with.

Guest zerobubble

I did play with the DPI but it isnt just the icons, the desktop extends beyond the monitor (ie. the taskbar is not visible and only the very top of the start menu.)

It is clear that only the upper-right hand quarter of the desktop is being displayed.

Dont get me wrong, I am not complaining and eveything works great with the included drivers (except the lddm), I just thought this may help.

Again great site!

It sounds like the driver is incorrectly reading your monitor size. Instead of letting it use the default monitor, try manually selecting an LCD monitor that's the same size as your display and see if that helps.

In general, I think the video problems are likely fixable in Pieter's INF. Open the INF and read the commentary provided, you should find some lines to 'remark' or 'unremark' that will effect the video. For instance, if you are using a less-common resolution such as SXGA+, then you might need to add a certain line (read the file and you'll see where).

Guest IwantGlass

I've got a Dell 5150 with a Nvidia Go5200 card. I installed the 75.03 driver with LSudlow's modified INF file. When I initially booted up, after seeing the Longhorn startup screen, I got a black screen. I realized that it was just displaying to the external VGA output, and using the display toggle (I think Fn+F5 or F7) I was able to get display working (some of you might try that if you are getting a black screen).

I get Aero Glass working fine, but it looks like it's reading my display as the incorrect size, because I have multicolored stripes down the right-hand side, and the top of my desktop is repeated at the bottom, almost as if it's tiled.

Any advice???

What size screen do you have? I haven't had that effect on my 1400x1050, but I may have just been lucky. If it really is tiling, maybe we can fix it.

And you are exactly right about the black screen. Sometimes booting into VGA mode or reinstalling fixes some of the more obvious problems so that might be worth a try.

Vista has much work that needs doing, but I'm looking forward to the end result!

Guest IWantGlass

I have a 15" UXGA display.

LSudlow - that seems to be the only difference between your system and mine, so I'm thinking that's the problem. Any advice on forcing it to recognize that it is UXGA?

I too have the 1600x1200 UXGA 5150, and was seeing the same problem with Pieter's inf.. I'm trying to figuure out where this goes now..

The problem is the inf is installing with the 1400x1050, rather than 1600x1200..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a MSFT beta tester testing Vista beta 1. I've had the same problem as Costavaldes. I have a Satellite S5105-501. Same issue after install - device manger says the driver is installed fine, but under desktop properties\settings\advanced it just gives question marks and says the adapter is unknown. Vista just loads the standard VGA driver. I modified the inf file to include the Toshiba subsystem ID for the 174.1 identifier without success. It appears that Vista does not recognize that the video card is there when this driver is installed. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'd love to get glass :)

My apologies -- it looks like I've missed several messages here.

Craig, if you can give me your device ID, I'll put up a test inf to try,

I'll also change the 1400x1050 behavior that's creating a problem for some of you.

Here's the device ID as requested. I'll certainly try an inf if you post it :)

The hardware ids' are: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_A3
                                PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&SUBSYS_00011179
                                PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&CC_030000
                                PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&CC_0300

Compatible id's are: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&REV_A3
                             PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174
                             PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_030000
                             PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0300
                             PCI\VEN_10DE
                             PCI\CC_030000
                             PCI\CC_0300

Give this one a try and see if it's detected.

I've also removed the 1400x1050 behavior that was causing problems for some people. If you need 1400x1050 (and Craig, it looks like you do), just find that line and remove the semicolon.

nv4_vista.inf

I think I remember something about Glass requiring a DX9 card -- FX or later. It may not work with your 440.

EDIT: Just confirmed on the Connect beta site that only FX cards and higher support Glass. Time to start saving for an upgrade!

Guest Craig Corp

Using stardocks TweakVista program you can force unsupported cards to use glass if you have an appropriate driver (I realize it will be slow and do intend to get a new Vista compatible laptop in a year or so after it's released). The problem is that with 75.03 installed, the computer doesn't appear to be seeing the video card at all.

I've had this problem with other 7x.xx builds. I once thought it was due to the presence of phantom devices (monitors from previous driver installs) in the registry (as suggested by Theraphy). Getting rid of the ones I had would help for a couple boots and then revert to this behavior (in XP). Newer 7xx.xx drivers wouldn't work at all (in XP). I've made sure I have no phantom devices this time, yet the problem persists (in Vista.)

If you have any other ideas or if I can give you any information that might help, let me know. Thanks :)

Thanks! We'll keep working on it. Also, we should be due for a new build of Vista soon, along with a newer driver from nvidia. Hopefully they will solve some of these problems.

I think it's needed to install the Toshiba Power Saver for brightness control. Or Toshiba Controls. Here's my thread what you need after a fresh install of MS OS:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6567