LaptopVideo2Go Forums

61.12 Results

LSudlow

Well waddayaknow... the trend line starts curving upward. 61.12 doesn't quite match 60.72, and certainly doesn't match the best of the earlier generations, but it's respectable and trending in the right direction. A surprisingly big jump over 61.11.

Teraphy suggests that Dell users add the following line to the appropriate SoftwareDeviceSettings section:

HKR,, PushBufferMemorySpace, %REG_DWORD%, 2

...which I did. I'll try a later benchmark without it to see if there's a difference.

Driver..........3DMark01..............3DMark03

NOTE: I use a home-grown inf. Pieter's version may perform quite differently.

Machine: Dell Inspirion 5150

BIOS: A33

CPU: 3.06 GHz Pentium 4M (Non HyperThreading)

RAM: 512MB

GPU: Nvidia FX Go5200 w/ 64MB RAM

As far as I know

HKR,, PushBufferMemorySpace, %REG_DWORD%, 2
only affects 2D scrolling in Explorer etc.

Remember the days when we had to have this set to 3 in the 4x.xx days to stop the black outs.

Ahhh we were so much younger then.

Pieter.

Actually, if you look in the Dell OEM inf for 61.12, there's a special tweak for NV11 (that's you) and NO other GPU.

Yep. You guessed it! ...PushBufferMemorySpace 3

Who knows ...maybe they got it from us! :)

it was a "safety" line that Dell added for the infamous "BSOD's" that the Dell systems were having back then.

The major culprit was the defaul MS drivers that was being installed by itself into the system... I would always upgrade my drivers in safe mode without letting the default drivers take effect.

Interesting, Kamika007z... Thanks!

It also turned out to be useful for a different issue.

"Back in the day" (about this time last year), Pieter and I had the same Gateway Solo 9550 and had a bug that seemed unique to those machines. When scrollng through a website with a LOT of information on it, like Warp2Search, our screens would go dark and only a reboot would bring them back. Increasing PushBufferMemorySpace to 3 turned out to be the cure.

Since nVidia is including that line only for the NV11 (GF2Go), it looks like a quirk of that particular chip.

I doubt Pieter and I were the only ones to discover that fix, but we did come up with it on our own, pretty much through trial and error. At the time it seemed a lot like today's Toshiba black bar issue.

Guest citrixcl

larry can you please post your newest inf file... since mine are causing problems... heh i tried my hand at mixing the omega 53's settings with your 5150 settings and pieter's newest inf on the 53.90 since they are the newest of the old generation.

if you have time try out the 53.90 and maybe the most updated 52 series. i remember somthing about the 52.16 being really fast for our gpu....

i would love to test your inf with the 60's etc

I've just updated my INF in the Utilies section to my latest version (61.12). I'll be interested to hear how it works for you.

Guest citrixcl

well hey larry there is no overclocking on your inf... but thats fine with me really... i dont like using the huge fan base overlocking requires.... ill test it tomorrow after my programming test.... either way its working fine and i even played with a little "digital vibrance" which makes my computer sooo pretty.

Yes, you're right. Since I don't overclock, and since the Coolbits line causes the infernal screen blinking when you launch the Control Panel, I removed it. Easy enough to put it back in if you want it.

Good luck with it... I'll be interested to hear how your tests go.

You can have OCing page (Coolbits) and no flashing screens see sticky in 'Support'

Pieter.

Guest citrixcl

meh i had enough fun melting my memory during finals. i think ill just keep it running cool... i have it at 1600 Mhz again since I realized its just as fast at websites.

larry did you burn black hand marks into your laptop rest area... i did... i should post a screenie... it made a heart shape!

Sure... I'd love to see the picture! I haven't had that result, but the heat coming out of the rear panel just about fries my leg when I really do use this thing as a "lap" computer.

Guest karatestarfish

LSudlow,

Quick question about your benchmarks - what settings do you use? The highest scores I've managed to get are 6610 3DMark01 and 972 3DMark03. I have all default settings in both the drivers and 3DMark, except for changing the setting from 'Quality' to 'Maximum Performance'. This was run with the 53.03x starstorm drivers and your homebrew inf (61.12).

BTW, when installing the drivers with your inf, it gives two options for the card - one GeForce FX 5200 or something, and one NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200... I saw on another thread that Pieter sometimes leaves the OEM infs in, and has his setup as the NVIDIA option - is this also what you have done? I'll have to check the performance with the other option...

Is there anything else you change to get these scores out of your card? Anything you can suggest?

Thanks

What might be happening is when you copy LSusdlows INF in to the directory the device installer see's 2xgo5200's one in LSudlows INF and one in the other INF(s) still in the directory.

Re(move) ALL INFs except the one you want to install from the driver directory.

Now you will only see one GPU for selection.

I hope this helps,

Larry does a pretty good job at his INFs for the i5150.

Enjoy,

Pieter.

karatestarfish, Pieter is right about having more than one INF available. When running the benchmarks, I also set Antialiasing, Anisotropic Filtering, and Vertical Sync to "Off" in the nVidia Control Panel. Try that and let us know how you make out. Thanks!

(And thanks for the compliment, Pieter!)

Guest karatestarfish

Doh! That was the problem. Oh well, at least it was easy to solve :)

Hmmmmm I have all those settings you mention set up right.... When using the correct inf, I still only get 6680 in 3DMark2001. I wonder what the difference could be - On it's own, a few hundred points probably isn't that big a deal - I'm just surious because our systems are fairly similar....

Ahh.. If I change the directx texture setting to maximum performance also, then I get 6920 in 3DMark2001, 1308 in 3DMark2003. That's probably what the problem was - Are your settings the same? I couldn't see heaps of difference in the IQ with the textures set to this, although that's probably just because I'm only fairly new to having a decent 3D card...

I also played around with overclocking a little to check out what it could do - I started getting hangups at 245/500. The last score I wrote down was 7530 in 3DMark2001 at 230/470. I was pleasantly surprised at the difference in frame rates - much smoother. I don't have any games that I need to overclock on at the moment, but it's nice to know that I can improve the performance a bit if I need to :P

Thanks very much for your help, both Pieter and LSudlow - I appreciate the advice :)

6920 and 1308 are better scores than I got with the same settings, probably due to your machine having hyperthreading. (Mine doesn't) So that sounds just about right.

Guest citrixcl

I just benchmarked

3DMARK2001 SE Pro 1600x1200X32, 32bit textures, NoAA.

45.86 Dell INF - 2935

53.90 Larry's INF - 3036

56.54 Larry's INF - 3048

61.12 Larry's INF - 3056

Note you should test at the same settings if you want to compare. You can get larry's inf from the utilities page. I did 1600x1200 because that is what I play my games at and I wanted to see the real FPS and the real performance difference between the drivers at my resolution. Maybe I'll do a test with the regular settings just to see if I match larry.

Of course I wouldnt be suprised if the 3Dmark 03 scores go down instead of up, but it means that DX8 performance is better. I think I'll stick with the 61.12 and its cool "NVIDIA Laptop Display" on my right click menu!

Guest Falqon
I did 1600x1200 because that is what I play my games at and I wanted to see the real FPS and the real performance difference between the drivers at my resolution

Dude, what games do you play?

Guest citrixcl

I run 1600x1200 because I might as well... my laptop can do it.... its the native resolution...

I play Jedi Academy, Jedi Outcast, Starcraft (lowres), Call of Duty, Halo PC, Starscape (lowres), Counter-strike...

Sadly however Halo doesnt have 1600x1200 so I run it at 1280x1024 and often in a window mode. I also have bad DX9 performance on halo so i -use11 and go to DX8 mode.

I like the highest resolution possible... but often i lower the textures and polygons using ingame settings just to tweak out the extra performance and get lower pings online.

I run 1600x1200 because I might as well... my laptop can do it.... its the native resolution...

I play Jedi Academy, Jedi Outcast, Starcraft (lowres), Call of Duty, Halo PC, Starscape (lowres), Counter-strike...

Sadly however Halo doesnt have 1600x1200 so I run it at 1280x1024 and often in a window mode. I also have bad DX9 performance on halo so i -use11 and go to DX8 mode.

I like the highest resolution possible... but often i lower the textures and polygons using ingame settings just to tweak out the extra performance and get lower pings online.

hey citrixcl how do u switch halo to 8.1??? :)

You can force halo to run at 1600 x 1200.

To do it use this command line paremeter:

?vidmode 1600,1200,60

instructions on how to use them are found here.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;830487

I should warn you that it will probably run slowly at 1600 x 1200.

Edit: Nitz your question is answered on that page.

Guest Falqon

just change your shortcut to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\halo.exe? ?use11

Ah, alright, I was gonna say, these new games just don't do 16x12 on a notebook. Right now I mainly have been playing far cry and ut2k4, might try halo now that I'm using a different laptop, but still I like some shaders and texture quality, so I wouldn't do any more than 1280x800.

Guest citrixcl

?vidmode 1600,1200,60 custom video settings

-use11 DirectX8 VertexShading 1.1... thing is it goes to DX8 mode for pixels too

-use14 DirectX8 PixelShading 1.4... thing is it goes to DX8 mode for vertex too

-window runs it in a window

-console allows you access to the ingame comanndline... useful for connecting to ips and doing all sorts of fun stuff.