LaptopVideo2Go Forums

61.12 Results

LSudlow

Guest Falqon
-use11 DirectX8 VertexShading 1.1... thing is it goes to DX8 mode for pixels too

-use14 DirectX8 PixelShading 1.4... thing is it goes to DX8 mode for vertex too

huh? 1.1 and 1.4 are just 2 completely different pixel shader calls.

-console allows you access to the ingame comanndline... useful for connecting to ips and doing all sorts of fun stuff.

Do you know all the console commands?

I link to a site that does would be nice.

Also for those that don't know, the use11, use14, and use20 have no affect on GF 2, or GF 4 go cards except the 4200 I think.

Guest citrixcl

true i should have said that use11 and use14 only affect DX9 cards like my gofx5200

all the GF4 and before will use 11 or 14 already....

i am pretty sure i found out somewhere that DX8 has Vertex Shading 1.1 and Pixel Shading 1.4 and DX9 has Pixel Shader version 2.0 and Vertex Shader 2.0... thats from alot of sites... but the truth is use11 and use14 do the same thing because they both enable each other by enabling DX8 mode...

or maybe there are just two different pixel shaders that were used in dx8.. im a republican but it is possible for me to be wrong.

i think that various Nvidia and ATI DX8 cards support either 1.1 or 1.4 pixel shaders.

Heres what it says in that link I posted from Micro$oft:

-UseFF

Forces the game to run as if the computer?s video solution is a ?fixed function? card.

A fixed function card does not support Pixel Shaders and graphics typically will be simpler and blockier.

Examples of fixed function chipset include but are not limited to the following:

GeForce (256) SDR

GeForce (256) DDR

GeForce (256) Ultra

GeForce (256) Quadro

GeForce2 MX

GeForce2 MX 200

GeForce2 MX 400

GeForce2 Go 100

GeForce2 Go 200

GeForce2 Go Quadro2 MXR / EX / Go

GeForce2 GTS

GeForce2 Pro

GeForce2 Ti

GeForce2 Ultra

GeForce2 GL Quadro2 Pro

GeForce4 MX 420

GeForce4 MX 420 -8x

GeForce4 MX 440

GeForce4 MX 440 SE

GeForce4 MX 440 -8x

GeForce4 MX 440SE -8x

GeForce4 MX 460

GeForce4 410 Go

GeForce4 420 Go

GeForce4 420 Go 32M

GeForce4 440 Go 64M

GeForce4 Quadro 200/400

GeForce4 Quadro 500XGL

GeForce4 Quadro 550XGL

nForce 220

nForce 420

nForce2

Radeon 7500

All in Wonder Radeon 7500

Mobility Radeon 7500

Mobility Radeon 7500 GL

Radeon 7200

Radeon 64 DDR

Radeon 32 DDR

Radeon LE

Radeon 7200

All in Wonder Radeon

-use11

Forces the game to run as if the computer?s video solution is a Shader 1.1 card.

Vertex and pixel shaders are used to create the complex objects and characters that can be displayed in Halo: Combat Evolved. If a card supports shaders it will generally be faster to use them instead of using fixed functions. Halo: Combat Evolved will automatically select the best shader level for your system depending on your hardware and drivers.

Examples of Shader 1.1 capable chipsets include but are not limited to the following:

GeForce3

GeForce3 Ti 200

GeForce3 Ti 500

GeForce3 Quadro

GeForce4 Ti 4600

GeForce4 Ti 4400

GeForce4 Ti 4200

GeForce4 Quadro 900XGL

GeForce4 Quadro 750XGL

GeForce4 Quadro 700XGL

GeForce4 Ti 4800

GeForce4 Ti 4200 -8x

GeForce4 Ti 4800SE

GeForce4 Quadro 980XGL

GeForce4 Quadro 780XGL

GeForce4 4200 Go

-use14

Note Forcing the game to run at an earlier shader version that your display adapter can support may increase performance while reducing visual quality. Trying to force the game to run at a later shader version than your display adapter can support will cause the game to default to the latest shader level that your hardware supports.

-use14 Forces the game to run as if the computers video solution is a Shader 1.4 card.

Examples of Shader 1.4 capable chipsets include but are not limited to the following:

Radeon 9200 PRO -8x

Radeon 9200 -8x

Radeon 9100 IGP

Radeon 9000 PRO

Radeon 9000

Mobility Radeon 9000

Mobility Radeon 9000 GL

Radeon 8500

Radeon 8500 LE

Radeon 8500 DV

I think I highlighted most of the laptop cards although some might not be.

(I also might have highlighted some card that aren't mobile)

If your card is a GeForce FX or a ATI 9500 or up it supports PS 2.0 :)

I think its interesting that the ATI use 1.4 and the Nvidia ones use 1.1 mostly.

Guest Guest
true i should have said that use11 and use14 only affect DX9 cards like my gofx5200

all the GF4 and before will use 11 or 14 already....

i am pretty sure i found out somewhere that DX8 has Vertex Shading 1.1 and Pixel Shading 1.4 and DX9 has Pixel Shader version 2.0 and Vertex Shader 2.0... thats from alot of sites... but the truth is use11 and use14 do the same thing because they both enable each other by enabling DX8 mode...

or maybe there are just two different pixel shaders that were used in dx8.. im a republican but it is possible for me to be wrong.

dude, you're kinda off here. FX5200 is technically (cough: barely) a dx9 card, that means it supports ps2.0. use11 and use14 are DX8, so you don't need a DX9 card to run those.

Geforce4 is kinda vague, if by "GF4" you mean 4200, then yeah,t hey can use 1.1 or 1.4, but they will not support 2.0. if you mean 440go, or 460go, then they do not support any pixel shaders, you could type "use11" until you're blue in the face, it won't do anything.

use11 and use14 call pixel shaders, not vertex shaders. Further, they are not the same thing, 14 is more efficient, it makes less passes to before shading, at least in theory.

Basically to sum it up, if you have a DX 9 card and you use -useFF your graphics will look the same as a Geforce 4 Go 440 or lower. :)

Edit: To combat this problem I suggest you get rid of Halo with its stupid framerates and get UT2004, you can turn the graphics all the way up on a DX 7.1 card and it runs almost twice as fast or sometimes more. :)

lol

Guest citrixcl
dude, you're kinda off here.  FX5200 is technically (cough: barely) a dx9 card, that means it supports ps2.0.  use11 and use14 are DX8, so you don't need a DX9 card to run those.

Geforce4 is kinda vague, if by "GF4" you mean 4200, then yeah,t hey can use 1.1 or 1.4, but they will not support 2.0.  if you mean 440go, or 460go, then they do not support any pixel shaders, you could type "use11" until you're blue in the face, it won't do anything.

use11 and use14 call pixel shaders, not vertex shaders.  Further, they are not the same thing, 14 is more efficient, it makes less passes to before shading, at least in theory.

gofx5200 is the first of nvidias mobile DX9 cards. that is why it runs in DX9 mode requiring me to set -use11 or -use14 to switch to DX8 mode.

of course a non DX9 card doesnt support DX9 pixel shading 2.0... heh thats the point... if you have a radeon9000 in your inspiron 5150 then you dont need to set -use14 but if you have a 5200 you should if you want better performance.

just do a google search and get this over with man... there is pizel shaders 1.1 1.4 2.0 and DX8 uses Pixel Shading 1.4 and Vertex Shading 1.1 unless you want to go to pizel shading 1.1

there are also reports that 1.1 is faster on some video cards.

Edited by citrixcl

Guest Falqon
no actually you are off you *** ***.

gofx5200 is the first of nvidias mobile DX9 cards. that is why it runs in DX9 mode requiring me to set -use11 or -use14 to switch to DX8 mode.

of course a non DX9 card doesnt support DX9 pixel shading 2.0... heh thats the point... if you have a radeon9000 in your inspiron 5150 then you dont need to set -use14 but if you have a 5200 you should if you want better performance.

just do a google search and get this over with man... there is pizel shaders 1.1 1.4 2.0 and DX8 uses Pixel Shading 1.4 and Vertex Shading 1.1 unless you want to go to pizel shading 1.1

there are also reports that 1.1 is faster on some video cards.

I'm confused? Where exactly am I wrong?

"If the video card hardware and driver does not fully support the pixel shader level that the game chooses, the game may lag. The use -FF comand line parmeter turns off pixel shaders while the -use11 command line parameter and the -use 14 command line paramater simply reduce the amount of pixel shader features that are used. You can experiment to find the best parameter for your situation."

That's taken directly from microsofts site. Vertex shaders are different, you change halo's pixel shaders.

edit: one thing kinda interesting, Microsoft doesn't care that your 5200 is DX9, it still defaults to 1.4 when you start the game

I bet that it defaults to 1.4 because that card is slow. lol

Guest citrixcl

haha dontknow you only made my post look worse by putting ***.

this is really frustrating trying to explain somthing to someone who is just off.

"use11 and use14 are DX8, so you don't need a DX9 card to run those." - falqon

what is your POINT dude?! REALLY!? WHAT?!

Thanks for telling me that I don't need the video card that I have in order to run the games the way that i want. I guess.

I use my DX9 card for DX9 rarely thats why i need use11 or use14 to get to DX8 mode... somthing that Halo for some reason does not do. Microsofts game detects my card is DX9 and runs it in DX9 with pixel shading 2.0 and its slow... thats why i use14 to get better performance... thats why i told the guy who wanted to know some more commands.

thanks bill i know my card sux at DX9 thats why i need to run the commands to get better performance.. and thanks for letting everyone know that the commands are pretty much useless on most DX8 cards and completely useless on a DX7 card.

oh yeah an back to mr falquon aka guy who knows everything but still wants to argue for some reason... soooo sooorrry if i thought microsoft might be stupid for putting in two shader commands and no vertex commands... i did read somewehre that use11 was for vertex shading...

now tell me I am somehow wrong when i say that using -use14 on my 5200 playing halo does change the vertex shading to 1.1 as well as pixel shading 1.4 and if i dont add this line then i am stuck playing halo at 10 fps with DX9 pixel shading 2.0 and vertex shading 2.0.

since for some reason you are arguing on a laptop benchmarking forum about nvidia drivers why are you telling me about how I dont need my video card and it also is too slow and i'm off because i like to run my games faster than microsoft wants me to.... i can't change my video card (not easily anyways) and neither can most people with laptops i imagine. isnt that kind of the point why we have so many drivers instead of just benchmarking video cards v. video cards we benchmark drivers v. drivers.

and if you were really smart then you wouldnt use DX at all unless you needed DX9... if you were smart youd be playing on OPENGL! Now shoo....

go read the rest of teh thread if you are still going to talk about this.. jeez i quit halo already and im buying ut2k4 just to support the company.

Guys,

Listen to some good music, drink a beer or two if you're over 21 and get in a better, less competitive mood.

To head. LOL.

Zum Wohl.

Cheers.

Bottoms up.

Prost.

nostrawje.

:)