LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Brightness Problems: SONY VGN-S4XP & VGN-S5XP (Go 6400) & VGN-S4M & VGN-S560P (Go 6400) & Sony VAIO FZ11Z (Geforce 8400M GT) & FZ15 & FE31

Guest Bomfunk

Well that's the thing.

I want to give this a try but is it safe to paste that chunk (the whole thing)

[nv_FAEIDS_Default_AddReg]

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 7C,00,40,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,08,02,36,7F

HKR,, EnableBrightnessControl, %REG_DWORD%, 2

HKR,, Panel00, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel01, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel02, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel03, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel04, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel05, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel06, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel07, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel08, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel09, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel0A, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel0B, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel0C, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,004A"

HKR,, Panel0D, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,004A"

HKR,, Panel0E, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,004A"

[nv_FAEIDS_MS0040_AddReg]

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 7C,00,40,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,08,02,36,7F

HKR,, Panel01, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel02, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel04, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

HKR,, Panel05, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0040"

[nv_FAEIDS_MS0045_AddReg]

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 7C,00,45,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,08,02,36,7F

HKR,, Panel01, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0045"

HKR,, Panel02, %REG_SZ%, ",MS_,,0045"

of the factory installed inf into the modified inf of the latest driver ?

Instead of changing it in the modified inf from 1 to 2.

i would first try to use the modded INF with brightness 2.

You cannot just paste that chunk as it has a different header not used by the modded INF and it would more modifications to the INF in the calling part on top of the iNF.

hi,

OK

I tried EnableBrightness 0, 1 and 2

al with the same result... :)

I'm pretty sure that if I install the factory drivers from the sony site and the the new ones over it the problem wil be solved but any id why they won't install.

I checked.. double checked...redownload them from different sonyvaio supportsites... but they simply won't install.

Whatever way I try, with the exe it tells me I'm not using vista32.. which I most surely am using :-)

and if Itry to force them by showing Vista32 the directory where the driver is... then it tells me vista found the drivers but can't continue because of AN error.

Even the ones from the recovery dvd that I made myself (and already used once) won't install?

Any ideas how to force the installation anyway?

thx

It's weird but one of our members (sorry buddy forgot your name) tried to disable EnableBrightnessControl from the INF (set it to 0 or comment it out ) and he reports it works.

Hi all,

thanks a lot for the tip.

Unfortunately , It didn't work either ( setting EnableBrightnessControl for 1, 0 or deleting this line from modded inf file didn't work for windows xp sp 2).

I'm going to try setting its value to 2, and post here the results as soon as I can.

Please, May somebody help me with this issue?

thanks in advance,

Roger

Hi all,

thanks a lot for the tip.

Unfortunately , It didn't work either ( setting EnableBrightnessControl for 1, 0 or deleting this line from modded inf file didn't work for windows xp sp 2).

I'm going to try setting its value to 2, and post here the results as soon as I can.

Please, May somebody help me with this issue?

thanks in advance,

Roger

Hi again,

Please, Was someone able to find a solution for this issue??

I've put myself available to give any further details needed to try to solve it.

thanks in advance,

Roger

Hi again,

Please, Was someone able to find a solution for this issue??

I've put myself available to give any further details needed to try to solve it.

thanks in advance,

Roger

Any ideas??I don't know what to do anymore...

• 1 year later...

From my experience: DO NOT REMOVE VISTA AND PUT XP ON SONY VAIO FZ series. HDMI will not work, brightness, s1, avmode buttons etc. will not work, be carefull, really, i'm installed XP and i got 1inch black line on the bottom of my screen, screen just falt, that's what sony said, they replaced it, good i have warranty, so guys enjoy yr vista on it, 100% better :)

• 8 months later...

Sorry to trouble you guys, with some more extensive searching, I've found how to fix this.

Regards

Hi DS, I'm at the end of my tether, and wondered whether you could help.

Recently restored my Vaio using the recovery wizard and the hidden partition. THEN I got a nasty virus, no XP access, no discs.

My brother fixed it recently using his XP boot disc, by taking out my hard drive and slaving it with his desktop (don't go rummaging in Vaio's!)

Everything's fine, except HKSERV isn't working (it's running, but Fn functions keys are "off").

Can't F10 because I've forgotten my BIOS password. And the serial stickers missing off my Vaio.

I'm thinking that, IF I can get the vaio recovery program (can't remember the filename that the original start menu link points to), it will let me reboot, and restore from the original, hidden recovery partition that's still intact.

If this is possible, is there a way of obtaining it?

Apparently the serial #'s available using the Vaio Control app in Control Panel, but that doesn't seem to be available from the european sony site. Not aware of any other method (software that returns your Vaio's serial number?)

If no-one can help me install the recovery application, last straws are to try removing MOBO battery for 72 hours, as recommended (only removed for ~ 90 mins when originally trying this, to reset CMOS / BIOS pwd), or to do without Fn functions, Vaio control center, and recovery options. Baah.

Any suggestions etc MOST welcome.

Thanks

Jonny