LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Command Line: Setting nView with multiple monitors

Teraphy

Guest The MAZZTer
The process to set nView using a command line is as follows:

Doesn't work on the latest beta drivers. Any attempt to use the DLL function resets the card back to one monitor standard mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a command that allows you to start up an application by display number?

For example is there a command line I can run so that it would start up vnc viewer and put it on display number 2?

Glad you resolved your issue Mazzter and replied with the solution :)

There isn't anything for displaying a program in a designated window through this command. I'd imagine the program would need some sort of "save window position" setting for that.

Look in the nvidia desktop manager in the nvidia control panel, I think you can set certain programs to launch on certain monitors. (nvidia has a pdf manual for the desktop manager online)

Even without that some programs I have do remember what monitors they launch on, so its definitely possible.

• 2 weeks later...

These commands are great. I was wondering though if there is something for setting the positioning of the secondary display relative to the primary display. For example when you go into the Windows display control panel, you can drag one monitor to the opposite side, or above, and even with which corner it is aligned. So I imagine a total of 8 possible positions. Would be nice to automate that instead of having to change it every time I activate the secondary monitor.

• 4 months later...
Guest Guest

There's a guide to NVCPL.DLL at:

developer.download.nvidia.com/SDK/9.5/Samples/DEMOS/common/src/NvCpl/docs/NVControlPanel_API.pdf

It describes a command called setscreenposition.

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setscreenposition <display#> [NV device moniker>] [<direction> <value> ["nocommit"]]|["commit"]|["cancel"]

where direction is either up, down, left, or right

value is the amount of relative screen movement, in pixels

I haven't gotten it to work for me but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

• 2 months later...

hi all

this works great in clone mode, like laptop + TV

but with my other computer i have a problem

i use an analog monitor and an RGB projector (analog)

now the problem is that on the monitor i have a higher resolution then the projector can handle

witch means i cant use clone, i have to use dualview

now if i switch in control panel it works,

but if use command line the icons/bar move over to the projector and so messing up the icon placement

what do i do wrong ?

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 dualview AB AA

rem here comes the game/program

pause

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 dualview AA AB

edit i tried this too (same happened):

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview AB AA

rem game

pause

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview AA AB

EDIT:

GOT IT !!!!!

this is the solution:

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg primary 2

rem game

pause

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg primary 1

Edited by siiix

• 2 months later...

I don't think it can be used for that. This stuff is also quite old and may not apply to newer drivers anyway.

Use the nview desktop manager's hotkey feature for desktop switching, it has that functionality.

There is also a manual for it on nvidia's site.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all this - excellent stuff.

I'm having some problems making this work consistently.

I have a Media Centre PC with a 32" Hyundai TV and an old 15" Dell monitor, which I want to force the PC to recognise at boot and at resume from standby, whether they are turned on or not, with the Dell being the primary screen for a dualview setup, with different resolutions on each. The TV is on HDMI and the Dell on an analogue converter from digital.

I have used a batch file with:

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 dualview DA AA

which runs at startup. It works mostly, but generally sets the Dell as the primary display (although I would have expected it to set the TV as the primary display - originally when I set it up that is what I had planned).

Often when the TV is turned off it simply sets the Dell as a single monitor. It never resets which screen is primary if it is already in dualview with the wrong primary.

Should I run the command again for display 2 with "setview 2" (or 0 - would have to check the display number) for the other monitor, or does it not work like this?

On resume from standby the screens seem to reset themselves, so I've been running the file again automatically on resume using a .vbs script, when it seems even less reliable.

If you have any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, or an alternative way to get this to work, I'd love to hear them!

My aim is to run Media Centre on the TV all the time, so it is just there when my wife or kids turn the TV itself on, and everything else on the monitor (for me...). It needs to be child-friendly, so I have to get this working 100% or I'll end up unplugging the monitor again.

Best,

Mackie

• 1 month later...
Guest rokhoe

I'm trying to set my vga output as primary and disable the internal screen of my Vostro 1500. Ultramon is the tool I'm currently using, which allows you to save profiles. It can be set to load the profiles on each logon, but this feature doesn't seem to work so seamlessly. When I wake up from sleep or startup Vista, the gfx card tries and fails to autodetect the connected displays and always resets to the internal screen. So each time I'm waking up or starting up my system, I have to start manually the profile I saved in ultramon. It would be great if there was any solution to this problem.

THX in advance;)

I have no problems with that scenario. Perhaps this could help you to have external as primary and then switch the internal off with NVidia Control Panel

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6614

• 1 month later...

i need help

i have a pc that has a graphics card with 2 vga outputs as well as the normal vga on the mother bored

i want to get

Monitor A on its own

With Monitor B and C as a cloned image with out using splitters

at the moment i can get all running on clone and all on extend destop

its the a way of doing what i said without splitters

• 3 months later...
Guest MasterCATZ

Is their anyway to get Dual View DVI plus 1 Full screen app on TV ?

Ie , Internet/Desktop on one DVI , MSN Chat on another DVI , and Movie / Game on TV ,

or is the only way to flip between DVI + TV Combo's as you need them ?