LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v91.33 XP 32bit | NV

®®®

sorry to go off topic but :) why are you only running at 1680x1050....i thought all of the area 51m7700's could reach a max of 1920x1200......<that's what i'm using right now.....tried using 1680x1050....looked all weird and stuff :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fabrice Roux

• who13

• Area51m-7700

• ®®®

One wild guess... his screen doesn't support 1920x1200... so its native resolution is 1680x1050... :)

yup your right mate...when i bought my notebook (maybe 1 half yr ago or a tad more) it was the highest they had at the time i think...now i just checked and they dont have it anymore..now just 1920 x 1200....

hehe, yeah, i saw the lil moo point there :) that was the dumb part of me asking that quesiton......i didn't when ya bought it :) my bad.....question though.......does 1680x1050 native reso. look the same as to on a screen that can go higher?? :P

question though.......does 1680x1050 native reso. look the same as to on a screen that can go higher?? :P

I'm not a native english speaker but this question suffered some bad words shuffling... but from what I understand... both screens use a 17" frame. So since the 1680x1050 has less pixels, they will be bigger (understand easier to read)... while the 1920x1200 pixels are smaller in order to pack everything in a 17" screen.

I'm 32, I never needed glasses, and I love my Dell 1920x1200 screen... while some people complain because the text is so small. :)

But I have to admit the perfect size is what I get from my 24" LCD in 1920x1200. :)

lol, yeah, i didn't fully explain.....what i meant was that for example, you have a screen that only does up to 1680x1050, and i have one that can go up to 1920x1200...if i put my screen to 1680x1050......would mine and yours look the same.....hey sorry if the questions are stupid, but i'm not THAT computer literate...all i know is up arrow for forward, down for back, and side to side :) :)

Edited by Area51m-7700

The screen using his native resolution will look sharper... the other one will render a kinda blurry image which is acceptable in a game but not for hours of regular computer use.

I see :) thank you for sharing your kind wisdom :P :)

Guest Guest
i have an area51 with same card geforce go 6800 ultra, and i'm using the 91.33, i get the same error as well...weird thing is that i only get it when i'm using the Media Center OS edition....so i'm guessing it could be a problem with some kinda conflict i guess :) :P :)

Yup, that's it. I use that OS as well, I suppose I could try and switch to Proffestional, but I just enjoy MCE to much. It's the TV tuner, and the channel guide that I like the most. I suppose I could rig it up to work in Proffessional, but I haven't had any side effects from disabling the service yet so, so far so good.

i looked back a few threads and not sureif i missed it..what kind of errer is it?? just out of curiousity..

Yup, that's it. I use that OS as well, I suppose I could try and switch to Proffestional, but I just enjoy MCE to much. It's the TV tuner, and the channel guide that I like the most. I suppose I could rig it up to work in Proffessional, but I haven't had any side effects from disabling the service yet so, so far so good.

I can't believe someone in his right mind would prefer to switch OSes just to be able to install and used the latest driver... over installing a MCE supporting driver. Give 84.63 a try... it supports MCE and feature the best of the 80 serie.

NEW UPDATE.......remember that lil error that comes on at shutdown in MCE.......it's not becasue of media center. i just found this out when i had to do a hard drive sweap :P virus :( it turns out that the driver works wonderfully if you install it BEFORE you do the annoying arse windows update thingy.....i would say about after the framework update that's when the driver gives you the error at shutdown....and Fabrice, yeah it's nuts that someone would switch OS's just cause of a driver, i reformat alot sometimes, but that's just because i like the idea of having a fresh OS about every month or so....i only have one system right now so every now and then i switch up to vista to see what new updates they have if it would help with some of the bugs that crap got, hoping that i would be able to keep it on a lil longer.....so far...it's a no go.....so i'm sticking to media center :)

by the way, can i call you Fabricio.....like that dude on titanic....lol joking :) ....love that movie :P :(

Edited by Area51m-7700

and Fabrice, yeah it's nuts that someone would switch OS's just cause of a driver, i reformat alot sometimes, but that's just because i like the idea of having a fresh OS about every month or so...

You might want to invest on a hdd caddie, a new HDD and a software like Ghost. (Partition Logic works and is free) Instead of breaking everything every 2 months you might want to learn not to install crap on your PC.

both of my hard drives got bad blocks that i can't repair....thanks to alienware :P i used to use ghost but then realized that because of those same bad blocks, ghost would reboot my laptop every ###### 2 minutes trying to repair the ###### things......so i basically gave up on that one...... :)

Edit: Lol @ crap........i don't install crap, i just like the feel of a new OS....all in all though i think i'ma get a new Pc......preferrably the xps400, small and nice even though i hate dell, they still got the best products :P

anyways back on topic :( i think it's after the installation of framework 2.0 that the error comes up......strangely though, i noticed that a few times it didn't come up when i shut down last night :) i don't mind the error, but i just hope it's not damaging anything.... :(

Beyond the OEM Alienware in your case the harddisk has a manufacturer... the manufacturer usually has a diagnostic tool that can remap/mark the bad sectors so they are not seen by base softwares.

In most cases when I encountered bad sectors... it was the first signs of the HDD death.

You want to do Ghost image on a desktop computer on a bootable CD. It doesn't require to install Ghost on the target system.

Get a beer or coffee and a newspaper then

chkdsk c: /f /r

chkdsk d: /f /r

chkdsk e: /f /r

But Fabrice is correct. I would prepare for a HD crash sooner or later :)

Beyond the OEM Alienware in your case the harddisk has a manufacturer... the manufacturer usually has a diagnostic tool that can remap/mark the bad sectors so they are not seen by base softwares.

In most cases when I encountered bad sectors... it was the first signs of the HDD death.

You want to do Ghost image on a desktop computer on a bootable CD. It doesn't require to install Ghost on the target system.

Thanks alot man, i did the bootable cd and checked it, it's running wonderfully :) so now i don't gotta worry about reformatting all the ###### time :( :P

EDIT: oh and btw...i was on the phone with alienware rep last night until 4am.....guess what......said he couldn't find what the name of the drives' manufacturer in their database......now what does that tell you about there service again :P ......THAT THEY SUCK :( i had to open the ###### thing myself....Seagates....or however ya spell it....got the tool but it's not helping me much, i keep getting an error that it can't detect my drives :) so i don't know, too bad then, i might just have to let alienware replace my hard drives :glare: :)

Edited by ®®®

Are you familiar with Windows Hardware Management... in the drive you'll see the full information about your HDD. Right now mine is a Toshiba MK8026GAX.

You might want to download burn and keep the Ultimate Boot CD. It has all the tools required to test HDDs.

If it's a Seagate HDD you'll need to use SeaTools.

Stay with tested, older drivers. The newest are almost every time buggy betas. Especially concerning 91.37; for me 91.33 works pretty well. 84.56 and 87.25 were good for my Amilo/go6800 from 8.x drivers.

Yeah Windows reinstall is the only way to go... it's the answer to every issues you might encounter computer related or not little grasshopper.

If the beer is to hot... reinstall Windows. If it hurts when you pee... reinstall Windows. If your car gas mileage is poor... reinstall Windows. If it's too hot outside... reinstall Windows.

Are you familiar with the Control Panel thingy??? Do you know the Add/Remove programs applet?

1/ Uninstall crappy driver.

2/ Reboot.

3/ Install reliable driver such as the 84.25.

4/ Reboot.

You kinda phrase your question inproperly:

thx, but what can i do if i have this bluescreen, do i have to reinstall windows or what can i do?

You should have said that you get the BSOD, that you tried to uninstall the driver and it leads to a BSOD AND that you don't succeed to access the Windows Safe Mode.

You can hold the F8 to trigger the boot options... if it doesn't work... go the uggly way press the reset button while Windows boot.