LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v167.45 Windows Vista 32bit | DELL

mobilenvidia

54 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

A bit better speed-wise. Stability is a bit higher though too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GaryHook

• apiXx

• mobilenvidia

• jax1492

A bit better speed-wise. Stability is a bit higher though too.

Well, I also have a Toshiba x200 w/ Vista Ultimate but after installing it, I got a BSOD when Vista was loading up. Did the usual stuff too... (driver cleaning, using the modded INF file, etc.)

It seems that there's something not right with the x200's, like lack of support or something, when most of these new drivers don't seem to work properly. So far, I was only able to get 163.44, 163.67 and 163.69 to work -- 169.04 after some tweaking in the INF file. Out of all of those, I get the best performance with 163.44 ...at least according to 3Dmark06.

It's a shame. The notebook itself is great, but I'm starting to become apprehensive of the thing and the 8700m gt card. :)

Well, I also have a Toshiba x200 w/ Vista Ultimate but after installing it, I got a BSOD when Vista was loading up. Did the usual stuff too... (driver cleaning, using the modded INF file, etc.)

It seems that there's something not right with the x200's, like lack of support or something, when most of these new drivers don't seem to work properly. So far, I was only able to get 163.44, 163.67 and 163.69 to work -- 169.04 after some tweaking in the INF file. Out of all of those, I get the best performance with 163.44 ...at least according to 3Dmark06.

It's a shame. The notebook itself is great, but I'm starting to become apprehensive of the thing and the 8700m gt card. :)

Must say that I have the same laptop, Toshiba X200 - 20S (with 512MB 8700m GT) and i'm using these drivers right now with Vista Home Premium. No problems to report personally and I didn't even have to use the modded inf. Halflife 2 - Episode 2 works great, better than with any other drivers i've used (163.75, 163.67, 169.04). Seems quicker, and i've played most of HL episode 2 with no driver crashes - 1680x1050, max detail (no AA though). Vista Aero seems fine, and i've been able to play HD DVDs with no problem with PowerDVD ultra (I could never get that Tosh HD DVD player software to work). Not tried 3D Mark though. I also seem to be able to overclock the GPU, at least, the frequencies stay commited when I apply them - didn't happen with the other drivers I tried. Haven't played with O/C much, but something for another day I think.

Overall, I'd really recommend these drivers based upon my experience.

I own a Dell XPS 1730 and tried these drivers, and I only get alot of problems.

When I first tried to install them, on my previous installation of Vista, they would install fine. When I tried to enable SLI mode, it said it had to stop some programs from running. Then explorer said it had stopped responding, my screen flickers and all I have is a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left hand. Nothing happens, so I have to reboot.

When I get back into Vista, I get a rundll32 error, and the drivers are not loaded at all. So I'm rebooting, and then it hangs during bootup, and I have to system restore back to a restorepoint. I try this a couple of different ways, but always the same result, not working in SLI.

So I formatted, thought maybe all the Dell crap that came pre-installed on my machine might be doing something funky. Clean install of Vista, I run windows update and get all the important updates.

Then I install these drivers. Installation goes fine, but problem starts when I want to enable SLI (again!). This time I don't get a black screen with a blinking cursor, I just get an error that the control panel has crashed. I wait a while, nothing more happens, so I reboot. Now it's hanging again, with a totally black screen, not even entering Vista.

I just booted my computer again, it was able to enter safe mode. Rebooted after that, black screen and not entering Vista... Not sure what I should do, probably downgrade? At least, I'm done for today.

Was the same with me, it's certainly SLI related. The freezing control panel happens to me with any 169.xx driver, all the others work ok (haven't tried the latest dell 167s though.

The blank screen thing happens with 169.09 and 169.12 only, 169.04 is ok.

If you start up vista on battery power only, 169.09 and 169.12 are ok - then switch on at the mains once it's loaded.

Also, disabling the vista "theme" and switching it to "windows classic" helps.

All of these things are compromises though...I want proper solutions!

Once again these are the best drivers yet. Yes i know I sound like a fanboy but the reality is I haven't had many problems with these drivers. I was playing Call of Duty 4 and iit ran like a ....dream. Recommended drivers. If only Dell released such drivers on a more frequent basis....

These are probably just a patch build for the 167.43 WHQL drivers and nothing more. The 167.43s were about as stable.

Must say that I have the same laptop, Toshiba X200 - 20S (with 512MB 8700m GT) and i'm using these drivers right now with Vista Home Premium. No problems to report personally and I didn't even have to use the modded inf. Halflife 2 - Episode 2 works great, better than with any other drivers i've used (163.75, 163.67, 169.04). Seems quicker, and i've played most of HL episode 2 with no driver crashes - 1680x1050, max detail (no AA though). Vista Aero seems fine, and i've been able to play HD DVDs with no problem with PowerDVD ultra (I could never get that Tosh HD DVD player software to work). Not tried 3D Mark though. I also seem to be able to overclock the GPU, at least, the frequencies stay commited when I apply them - didn't happen with the other drivers I tried. Haven't played with O/C much, but something for another day I think.

Overall, I'd really recommend these drivers based upon my experience.

After testing again, 169.04 actually is the best one so far for me. But I'm really interested in getting this driver working.

Why is it that you're able to get it running for your laptop when the same can't be said for me? Was there anything specific you did when you installed 167.45?

• 3 weeks later...

i am currently using driver 169.21 with modded inf for my go 7900gs,

will these be better?

EDIT:

Have tried these and they give me better performance than 169.21, also i have notice that my gpu temp stays around 54c when playing games with the 169.21 drivers the gpu was at running at 70c

all in all, good job dell!!

Edited by GaryHook

Guest Drifter86

Guys I'm running a Dell Inspiron1720 Core Duo with nVidia8600M GT. Where I can I get the driver to run Final Fantasy XI so it's not as choppy? I've downloaded several and for some reason it says that my hardware isn't compatible with drives. I've been working on this since yesterday and want to get this done.

Hi, my first time on this webside...

I also have an Inspiron 1720 with a 8700M Card and i only play PES2008 with it. Is there a big performance between DELL driver and the latest from here? For Insprion the latest one is 156.55 for Vista 32

i find they are faster drivers and more stable with new games like gears of war. I would recommend trying them, you can always role back drivers if you don't like them

I have exactly the same issues, but it's not only with this driver, it's also with the 169.09, 169.04 and the original driver that came with the 1730 (with the original I can boot into vista but get errors all the time).

I don't even know where I can start to solve this problem, really annoying...

I also have a m1730 which i just recently received and am experiencing the same problems. I have not yet experienced sli with any driver i'm really dissapointed.

well I still get graphich glitches when I play cod4 with this driver and in the end a bsod so... dunnow about this one for my card :/ u guys dont have graphich glitches with this card ( for the people with a geforce go 7900 gs) cause I am thinking then my card would be broken or something..

gears of war

crysis

rise of the which king

far cry

oblivion

and i'm going to try Two Worlds when i get round to it to lol

AT LAST...a driver that would install on my Evesham (Clevo M575U). I didn't use the updated ini either.

None of the other drivers I tried would install....even with the new ini, using either the setup or have disk methods.

Thanks

Stu

Cool gonna try crysis then with this driver see if I can go medium settings lawl.. i still get graphich glitches with cod4 , timeshift tho :S gears of war runs fine indeed

Hi great site :)

i have just got :-

ROCK XTREME 770

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz,4MB Cache, 800MHz

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 Go GTX 512MB

Windows Vista Home Premium

2GB DDR2 667MHz

Are these the best drivers to try and do i need a modded .ini file?

what about using these on a non-dell computer? Ive got a gateway with the go 7900gs GPU - will these work out for me? Im having a heck of a time getting decent drivers for vista and this card...

I like dont like vista much but now i dont like XP either so i dont want to switch back... :) i just wish vista was a little more compatible... i'd be a happy camper

will this driver work on DELL inspiron 1520 with 8600M GT?

I have the exact same system as you and I got a blue screen of death from these drivers. :) For now I'm sticking with the 169.04s. They work fine, I tested Call of Duty 2 for over an hour. :)