LaptopVideo2Go Forums

how far can an 8600m gs go?

wchy

Correction, I just ran 3DMark06 on a 3x loop and GPU hit 91C completely stock! CPUs at 79C. That's only a 30min cycle. I need to run it OC'd, but I'm a bit concerned. It's looking like I should lay off the OC on this setup without some serious cooling, thoughts?

wook, I was wondering if speedstep would make any difference, but at this point I'm more concerned about stability/longevity. HPs are notorious for running hot, my zd7000 melted the gpu/mboard (as thousands did and were replaced free).

Edited by releasedtruth

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wook

• releasedtruth

• Anchel

• Thomaskc

Correction, I just ran 3DMark06 on a 3x loop and GPU hit 91C completely stock! CPUs at 79C. That's only a 30min cycle. I need to run it OC'd, but I'm a bit concerned. It's looking like I should lay off the OC on this setup without some serious cooling, thoughts?

wook, I was wondering if speedstep would make any difference, but at this point I'm more concerned about stability/longevity. HPs are notorious for running hot, my zd7000 melted the gpu/mboard (as thousands did and were replaced free).

It will make your systm run about 20 Oc cooler. But, for everyday use you will notice slugish performance. For games on the other hand, it works really well. I always switch it off when im goning to play a game. max tem i got was 75 Oc overclocked. Otherwise my GPU hits 93 Oc

Good to know. I contacted HP support to ask them about the temps and they stated in writing that those numbers were acceptable and within operating specs for the machine, so I guess that's that. I ran a 2 hour block of Bioshock OC'd to see how it would do and it topped out at 91 so I guess it's all pretty much the same. Can't run higher than 1280x800 all maxed though. Still looks pretty decent.

-RT

Guest Guest

Okay I just had the crap scare out of me.

Running an HP dv9740us with Nvidia 8600m GS 512mb Core

Installed the 169.04 or whatever and OC'd. Looking at this thread I had the OC a bit higher than nvidia specs... but here's the weird part. My GPU Temp never went above 70, but after about 30 minutes of AoC the drivers fragged out and my FPS dropped from 35+ to 5... so I exited and rebooted. Well, right as the desktop came up the screen went black. I noticed looking very closely that it was still there, just very very very dark. I got scared, walked out for a smoke, came back in and same thing. Finally I took some covers off of the bottom... it still wasn't very hot (I have a good cooling pad). Well lo and behold it just came back up and now i can see again.

I about crapped my pants.... I thought I burned out some lines or something and perma screwed my laptop up. I'm kinda loathe to continue trying to OC but i'm sick of 15fps in AoC...

Anybody know what happened or have any thoughts/suggestions?

the FPS dropping like that is the driver not responding. you have set the core/ and or memory too high. crank it down by 5 - 10 Mhz and then see if the card is stable.

As far as the other issue i don't know. never had that with my laptop. What temp is the latop top normally, compaired to temp. when overclocked. plus what are your default clock settings with what you have selected now. Do you have DDR3 ram in the video card?

Guest Guest

Sadly it is ddr2...

The temp difference while overclocking was only maybe 5-10 degrees... again it never passed 73 degrees. Even turning it down to nvidia specs -- 1200/600/480 (mem is lower) it still freezes up after an hour and i have to reboot to get the clocks back up. Even with the overclocking to this degree my FPS was still crap in AoC... around 15fps... <puke>. I'm only getting a 3dmark of about 2700 too... which is absolute crap imho.

For twenty glorious minutes when I was overclocking too much I had 35-40fps in AoC... and 3dmarked (03 version) at 9900... the previous 03 bench's were at around 7700 so it was an insane improvement. Sadly it caused the problems I mentioned above :)

Even without overclocking I have stability issues with these 169 series drivers... even when I get a marked increase in FPS it only lasts about an hour or two and then the driver craps out on me....

With ALL of these test and changes i've tried, my GPU temp has never gotten higher than 74 degrees... not even once. It's getting me kinda frustrated seeing how some people are getting 3.4k and 3.7k 3d06 bench tests... and I can't seem to get passed 2.7k. :)

Hey i'm not a guest anymore woohoo!

Anyways yes... that is a good driver and the latest beta leak... however it doesn't seem to OC with the 8600m GS... so I still can't OC at all... without the crazy black screen crap.

I know i've heard of others OCing their 8600m GS... why can't I?!?! Gar... the 169.04 seems to be the driver they all do it with, I wish I could get some help with what mine is doing... :)

169.04 is the only one for me too

I managed to overclock my 8600M GS (ACER Aspire 5520G) to 600Mhz Core and only 450 Memory :) I tried 475Mhz on memory but all i got are some artefacts on screen and the system locks up. The memory is 2X1GB Samsung Dual DDR2... why cant i go any higher than 450?

Is there no newer driver that works like 169,04? Why is it so special..i mean..newer drivers can't be modified to act like 169.04? Just asking...

Anyway, 169.04 works fine so far.. the difference is real in games, runs smoother. I think i get 5fps or more with this new timings.

Edited by zendel

I've got mine running at

Core 730

Shaders 1460

memory 465

I was very impressed how far the clocking could go, especially on the core.

on 3dmark06 3197, default 2500

The temperatures are max 88c, which is okay for me.

Edited by Thom47

Well the fact that I can't overclock without issues (no idea why) has left me with little alternative. With the 175.80 driver modded for laptops i'm running decent now... get average of around 22fps.. a stark improvement from average of 11-15fps.. but I know I could do more if I could just overclock. I guess for now i'll stick with that one until something other than 169.04 comes out that I can OC my card with.

well guys.. i have the same basic card. Its a GT rather than a GS and i can overclock on any driver. although i have had issues trying to overclock the as well, but have work around them... these are the steps that i tried, and overclocking worked.

1) uninstalling the driver, going back to 'standard VGA adapter' then booting to safe mode, and cleaning out all drivers using driver sweeper. Then booting to normal mode, install new driver. then using riva tuner. (remember to reinstall riva tuner after you have installed a new driver/ or if you are using XP then, just remap the driver. Rivatuner does not like it when you change drivers)

2) make sure power is pluged in. The settings wont stick unless you are on mains power.

Sadly wook, there is a stark difference between the GT and the GS when it comes to overclocking. A GT is much easier to overclock and seems to work with all of these drivers just about -- but the GS just doesn't. Nobody is quite sure why... but that is the definable problem. Someone that can overclock with a GT gives no hope to those with GS cards.

Appreciate the attempted help but that's the common problem here... a difference in chipsets.

hmm... well the only difference according to Nvidia is the clock speed and the texture fillrate. essentially they are saying an 8600GT is just a GS clocked higher, with another pipe transfuring more fillrate.

but if you can't overclock it then it must be the bios stopping it.

You can re-flash your bios to a GT.. and thats basically going to overclock the card

Edited by wook

hmm... well the only difference according to Nvidia is the clock speed and the texture fillrate. essentially they are saying an 8600GT is just a GS clocked higher, with another pipe transfuring more fillrate.

Well 16 vs 32 stream processors does quite a difference, I'd say about 40-50%. And usually GS is clocked higher to make the gap smaller.

ooh! can you tell me what the max clocks for 8400m gs is plz :)

As the default for 8400GS is 400, I'd guess 500 and little over - you have to test yourself. There are some results on the Benchmark and overclocking section.

- well somebody jus clocked it to 600 and posted a comment.

ur right

I don't go over 450 mem, seems to be a good place to stop and gives good gains. At my numbers I haven't artifacted or crashed and the temps are almost identical to non-OC. The DV9500 gets smokin hot, but I've heeard the GS doesn't thermal till 121C or some such.

truth is, 8600M GS, together with the 8400M family, uses the G86M GPU, while 8600M GT, and 8700M GT, uses the G84M GPU

that probably explains the difference...

though i ve read that getting 3GB RAM gives a slight boost to 8600M GS 256MB through TurboCache... not sure if it's really the case...

• 1 month later...
Guest Blackrook

after reading a couple guides, I gradually put it up to 600 core / 1200 shader / 500 memory, and all is well so far, but while playing Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 my card jumped to 94 degrees.

at 550mhz memory (where I up'd my game resolution to 1280x800 and put AA on) temperature jumped to 96 degrees.

although I could hear the fan running at a higher speed than usual, i saw no problems or errors with it this high. I'll try putting memory to 600 and core to 650.

I have been running 672 core / 872 mem on my 8600m gs ddr3 for a loooon time with 169.04 without any problems, and its awesome in games.

Right now im running the new 177.xx drivers and cant OC :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi new here and to the overclocking scene,

I just wanted to know what is a safe clock as I have been testing but do not want to burn out the card as the lappy is spanking new I have a 8600m gs overclocked at 675/1350/465 cod4 runs with maxed out settings and I have seen no problems with artifacts temps are around 75-85 should I keep it at this or lower them slightly? also I wanted to see what the max is of the card as rivatuner will not let me go any higher and my final question , I ran a benchmark in 3dmark 06 but only get 3102 points yet i read earlier someone got just over 3600 hows that possible when I have higher clocks than what he had?

thanks in advance .

Edited by Oddman

One big and warm hello from Bulgaria. (It's warm because of my GPU :) )

So i have GeForce 8600M GS with 512MB

Stock values - GPU speed - 500Mhz / Shader Speed - 1000Mhz / GPU Memory speed - 400 Mhz (that makes it ddr2)

I ama currently running the 177.92 drivers

So far my best and stable overclock is 651/1302/451... this far i manage to go and actually finish 3dMark06. And the result came very good 3066. This is good because the first test that i made with the drivers that came with the notebook were around 2300

The temps are very high, but there even high without OC. When i play Pro Street the goes like 92... but when i OC i go under the aircontidioner and i get aruod 90 :)

I keep on trying to find some bigger values that are stable so if there is any one who has reached more than this.. tell us wich drivers U are using

I will update if i get some higher values

yeah I had to reduce my clock speeds to almost the same as you as i was playing arma and some small blocks started to appear so reduced to 651/1302/455 and everything is fine and arma plays great at normal so I am happy.Im have ordered another 2gb ram to take it to 3gb see if that helps a little with the windows performance too.