LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Covert)

Covert

I think there might have been unlockable pipes in 5xxx cards, at least not anymore when I looked at my go6800 - they began to make separate dies for mobile cards with no disabled pipes.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Covert

• coolcop06

• Mushu

• wulfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there might have been unlockable pipes in 5xxx cards, at least not anymore when I looked at my go6800 - they began to make separate dies for mobile cards with no disabled pipes.

I thought there were also unlockable pipes in the 6 series too, at least in desktop ones...

lol...

Well using RivaTuner you can unlock extra pipelines and do a few other minor tweaks for a slight performance boost through soft-mods (Not a card-changing softmod though). The card change modding is useful to professionals who want to use quadro features however.

Otherwise, an oxymoron... so far as I'm convinced with the 8600M GT. I still can't understand how some guys with 8400M cards were getting 20 fps more in some games when modded to 8600M... Either an extreme case of the placebo effect, inconsistent testing, or just spreading this mod's butter a bit thin...

wait, so do you actually see results??

I thought there were also unlockable pipes in the 6 series too, at least in desktop ones...

Yes, there were and I hoped it would be same in the mobile ones but it didn't.

wait, so do you actually see results??

Not really, when I originally did the mod and tested I got around 5 points more in 3DMark06, which is nothing since scores tend to vary a small amount after each test on the same system.

Yes, there were and I hoped it would be same in the mobile ones but it didn't.

Heh :/

What about 7, 8, 9, and 200 series desktop cards? I have a pair of 7800 GTX cards on my desktop.

ahh okay then, i wont even risk it by messing with those settings if there really wasnt a difference...

ahh okay then, i wont even risk it by messing with those settings if there really wasnt a difference...

There's no real harm in doing it though, if it doesn't do anything or doesn't work properly then just reinstall the drivers.

Guys I just had the most awesome idea:

What if we soft-modded our cards to desktop cards, we wouldn't need to use modded infs again!

Guest telethonk

What if we soft-modded our cards to desktop cards, we wouldn't need to use modded infs again!

Soft-modded :) :) that sound interesting

Can I soft-modded my 8600MGT???

How to do that???

Yeah, but what about the notebook driver releases from nvidia? Everyone can do what they want with their gpu, and I think that now people want to see the difference between the latest drivers, so Covert do what you used to do best here, update da benches :)

(no hard feelings)

For instance soft-mod an 8600M GT to and 8600 GT

Yeah, but what about the notebook driver releases from nvidia? Everyone can do what they want with their gpu, and I think that now people want to see the difference between the latest drivers, so Covert do what you used to do best here, update da benches :)

(no hard feelings)

We can use modified infs for when notebook drivers are released, they are released once every 3 months however desktop ones are released every few weeks.

I will do benches when I have free time, you can take a look at zipper's results in the mean time or test them out for yourself. The benchmarking I do takes up a lot of my day.

It's my birthday today too, happy birthday me :)

Guest ConscriptVirus

this idea of using rivatuner to softmod a video card is kindof old and here's my experience with it:

like what paperkut said, whats hardware limited will stay limited unless u open up ur laptop and swap out the video card some how.

i tried modding my 8600m GT to a 8600 GTS (desktop) and i thought there was some fps improvement and 3dmark06 said i got 100pts+ but i was still skeptical. i ran some FPS benchmarks and to my surprise, the fps were all the same for both 8600m GT and 8600 GTS.

second, making ur 128bit memory into 256bit? thats hardware limited and u wont notice any performance improvement. all it does is trick GPU-Z into thinking u have it when u really dont. plus when u put ur computer to sleep and come back, ull see that it switches back to 128bit.

OH and most importantly, speaking of sleep, if u softmod ur video card to a desktop card, u wont be able to come back FROM sleep or hibernate, and u know how bad that is with vista's slow boot time. and sleep/hibernate is imprtant espcially for laptop users.

oh and u cant use dox's drivers unless u mod his inf which is more of a hassle.

PS. Covert, in the softmod thread, did make a good point that ur video card may be a flashed down version of a higher-endd card so if ur lucky, then u can try but i believe u still lose the sleep/hibernate abilities.

this idea of using rivatuner to softmod a video card is kindof old and here's my experience with it:

like what paperkut said, whats hardware limited will stay limited unless u open up ur laptop and swap out the video card some how.

i tried modding my 8600m GT to a 8600 GTS (desktop) and i thought there was some fps improvement and 3dmark06 said i got 100pts+ but i was still skeptical. i ran some FPS benchmarks and to my surprise, the fps were all the same for both 8600m GT and 8600 GTS.

second, making ur 128bit memory into 256bit? thats hardware limited and u wont notice any performance improvement. all it does is trick GPU-Z into thinking u have it when u really dont. plus when u put ur computer to sleep and come back, ull see that it switches back to 128bit.

OH and most importantly, speaking of sleep, if u softmod ur video card to a desktop card, u wont be able to come back FROM sleep or hibernate, and u know how bad that is with vista's slow boot time. and sleep/hibernate is imprtant espcially for laptop users.

oh and u cant use dox's drivers unless u mod his inf which is more of a hassle.

PS. Covert, in the softmod thread, did make a good point that ur video card may be a flashed down version of a higher-endd card so if ur lucky, then u can try but i believe u still lose the sleep/hibernate abilities.

The flashed-down cards are almost always desktop cards from what I've read however. And I am currently using Windows 7 which wakes up and goes to sleep seemingly no matter what I do to my card, and much faster than Vista, I haven't done a lot of testing though. But again, soft-mods are good for some desktop cards, MAYBE some mobile cards but unlikely, quadro professional capabilities, and not needing to use a modified inf.

hi,

i have a nvidia 8600M gt and an intel t7400 (~2x2.2ghz) and 2gb ram ddr2 667mhz i try to play crysis 2 but after that i install that and go to launch it , on the screen appera a message that report: the file IntelLaptopGaming.dll is missed. but i have seen on the bin32 folder and the file is present.

i have try a lot of nvidia driver and reinstall game with different file, and appear the same error....

Can someone upload this file please, this is very small, PLEASE sad.gif

thanks

no more benchmark for newer driver?

I still using 178.13 here... Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Hey Covert, could you please do some benching for the new 179.48 releases from Nvidia?

• 2 months later...
Any update happening soon? :)

I might do a new thread.

I just finished building my new computer so when I have time I'll get to it.

This thread has been really helpful reading over it... i'll have to go w/ one of the older drivers that people have said are working the best for them. I've been using the 179.48 release from Nvidia i would be curious to see the benches on these if you are still doing this. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
This thread has been really helpful reading over it... i'll have to go w/ one of the older drivers that people have said are working the best for them. I've been using the 179.48 release from Nvidia i would be curious to see the benches on these if you are still doing this. Thanks

I started as a hobby for my own interest, and as things go, the newest driver is generally the best, if I were you I'd go with the latest NVIDIA WHQL drivers. I probably won't update the these charts for a while, I don't see how they are that helpful. The difference in performance between drivers is miniscule but the latest ones will have better stability and more bug fixes, you don't need charts to tell you that. :) If you really want some new charts than make a convincing argument.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest MICROHEAD

Hello, everybody!

First of all, realy thanks Covert and whole ltv2g.com, helped alot!

Just instaled Windows7, so far realy good OS, just think that i need proper video driver for this new creature.

So i am open for suggestions, btw need better drivers for gaming. :)

Ty, cya!

I'm pretty sure Windows 7 comes with the best driver you can use unless you are using an older card.

If you really want to get a decent boost in performance you should look towards game tweaking and fixing up your computer. But always keep getting the latest drivers as they come out!